Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

ABraggAboutBear BraggAbout Bears
Lincoln

Hello Guys,

A question to you all... We have been approached by a couple of Bear shops who have offered to stock our Bears on a Sale or return basis, and bought at a trade price. . After only one year in the business this would be a big step,but is it a wise one? We would value any advice.

Have any of you sold your bears through a Shop and if so, could you tell us the do and don'ts?

Warmest wishes,
Chad and Victoria  bear_original

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

So they want them in their shop and will pay you if they sell?
If this is the case I would be clarifying a few things.  I would make sure they will cover any damage incurred in their shop and also for shop soiling (dust grimy hands etc etc.)
There will be others that give you beter info I am sure but I would tread carefully.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi there,
     I think you are talking about "consignment" (sale or return basis) where you only get paid if the bear sells?  You have to decide what's right for you, but I've sold in a number of shops over the last 11 years, and I would never sell on consignment - I think it's too risky.  As well as possible damage or soiling, I've known bear shops to go into receivership or bankruptcy and you don't get your bears back. 
     A good friend was selling her fabulous, expensive, hand made quilts on consignment, because the shop couldn't afford to have them any other way and my friend lost three of them when the store went bankrupt and they were worth over $2500.00 in total.   I would only do a direct sale at wholesale price, and make sure I got the money before shipping the bears.  Remember, this is your livelihood and you really have to protect yourself.   Good luck.

hugs,

Brenda

Summer5 Pawssibles
Loon Lake, Saskatchewan

I do sell to a couple of bear stores, one in Canada and one in the U.S.  I do not do consignment. Consignment can be a real problem.  I haven't tried online auctions yet or ebay.  That will be my next endeavour.

ABraggAboutBear BraggAbout Bears
Lincoln

Hey guys thanks for your answers  bear_original  It is a big decision to make, it's always great that someone takes an interest in our bears, but as you all so rightly say " it has to be right for us and the bears!"
We have made no decisions as yet, we are still weighing up all the options.
Many thanks once again for your valued input!
Hugs Chad & Victoria :hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have serious reservations about this as  there is no commitment on  the shops part...neither to buy or sell.....What's to stop them keeping your bear for a year ...not caring for it and then sending it back in need of repair due to negligence? I think if they want your bears they should put their money on the table. Why  should they have it both ways,trade discount and stock for free? Who loses out if your bears get lost or stolen? Who takes the risk...you do...
Sorry to be negative but shops that do this annoy me...they just want something for nothing. You are new to the business but if they like your bears then so will customers....don't let them try it on...if they won't pay up front others will!!!! Good luck!!!

Board footer