Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Pages:
SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hooray . . . all's well that ends well!  Who first said that??   :clap:  :clap:  :dance:  :dance:

Deb Upstate New York

Ya gotta love a happy ending!
bear_cool

vkallum Humble-Crumble Collectors Bears
Essex, England
Website

Fantastic news Helena!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Glad we where here to help, glad it all ended well for ya!!!! It is neat that she is so attached to the little one  bear_smile that she is deciding to keep her!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm glad things worked out as they did, Helena, and that both you and your customer were able to get to the bottom of maybe why things were more emotional they they otherwise might have been.

However, I do have one psych-major-y thing to say, regarding yoru comment that:

If she's using me as a punchbag that's ok, I really don't mind under these circumstances.

That is NOT okay.  To be someone's punching bag, I mean.  She has a right to feel sad and touchy, but you have a right to be respected and happy.  And the one is not more important than the other.  So don't allow yourself to give people implicit permission to beat the crap out of you, even for what might seem like a "valid" reason.  You are a person, NOT a punching bag, and until you are, I have to lecture you for saying such things.  Lovingly, with your best interests at heart, of course. :)

Hugs,

Deb Upstate New York

go shelli, go shelli, go shelli  :dance:

Pipa UK

Helena I'm glad  you have some sort of conclusion over Bluebell !! it's pretty upsetting when things like that happen and it's not your fault monitor colours vary .

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Thanks again everyone  :D

Shelli, I understand what you're saying, and you're right of course! Thankyou for reminding me I shouldn't do that to myself - I'm not in search of martyrdom, LOL. The whole episode upset me, and when I better understood what was happening I admit I felt some relief, hence the comment.

Mandie bear_original...that's a great idea about a disclaimer! I'm going to write one for my site....thanks  bear_original

clare14 Country Bears
England

Awww Helena, what a day for you!!  bear_sad then  bear_noexpressionbear_original I guess....

We're all with you though    bear_happy

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

So glad that everything worked out for both of you!   I'm sure that when the shock of loss begins to smooth out a bit... she'll be head over heels in love with her new blue friend!  I would be!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

I am so sorry my Dear that you are having this problem. I would gladly offer to take the bear back and let her know that you offer satisfaction is guaranteed. I feel this is so important because we all work so very hard to build a client base. If someone buys one of our bears we always tell them there is a merchandise guarantee regardless of the reason. I also have at least a 30 day time period on this from the time the bear is received.

I think this is so important. That beautiful little baby bear will sell to someone that will appreciate it and love it to death. Trust me. this is a very important part of what we do.

Many Hugs Louise

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Aww Helena.....I'd rather be blue....thinking of you.....I'd rather be blue, over you.....thank happy....with somebody else.....boob boob di doop....

I'm sorry this happend.  I am betting if you can explain to her the difficulty getting exact colorings in mohair...etc....however I can tel you that I do use kool ade and Intercals white- and have gotton some wonderful "koolade bright blue" type colors.  It is incredably easy...and doesn't wash out....but to your felt at the same time.

I cut out my pieces first, and because I know they will shrink maybe 1-2% I cut them out that much bigger.  If you  decide to use the koolade route I have found that I do not need to use as many  packets as is normally suggested.  I think this is because I start with the pre-cut pieces.  I desolve the koolade in a ziplock bag, Don't use the cheap ones they tend to want to melt, and when it is really disolved I dump in the pieces of bear....I mush them around and take a piece out to  check the color....if it isn't right I keep mushing.  All together it takes miniutes, not hours, and then I run them through cold water....the koolade goes down the sink and does not hurt the septic, after I've rinsed enough so that the color no longer comes out I lay them out on a towel to dry.  It is unbelievably easy.  And since Koolade already has citric acid in it you don't have to worry about adding vinegar, etc. for permenancy.  When you're in a whimsical mood it is fun to mix up a bunch of koolade colors and play around.

For the cleanest colors though you might want to start with the whitest mohair...

It's worth the price of 3-4 koolade packets to have some fun, and maybe it will make your good customer feel better, that you went the extra yard and a half.  :angel:

I am sorry this happened to you, and hope you can make it right with her, and everyone will be happy.   :pray:

bear_tongue

Dilu Posts: 8,574

wow- how did you guys do that?  somehow between writing a reply a whole new page appeared and the problems is over........whooo.....time warp?  4 dimension?  too spooky for the gollies and me.....glad its all better for Helena....

Maybe this is why I had a hard time typing-it was jerky.....hmmmm  :doh:

bear_tongue

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Helena,  I agree that the problem with commisioned work is that expectations are always subjective.  The customer see's one picture in thier head and the maker may see another.

I too dislike custom orders for this very reason.  I like to fly by the seat of my pants and go where my heart takes me...not where someone else is telling me to go.  It is very personal when someone is critical of your work...ouch...and they may not even realize it.

It is so live-and-learn in this business.  Artists are sensitive people pleasers.

My only advice would be to sell the bear on your website or ebay and if this lady wants any more of your bears she will have to wait and see what you post for sale.  (easier said than done, I know! :doh:)
Best of luck.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh Helena, I'm so sorry tohear about your problems.  I'm glad it turned out OK in the end!   :dance:

By the way, where can I see a photo or two of Blue Belle?

Danni

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Helena!!!! p*** her off. Get the bear back and dont do business with her again. With commissions, you rule the roost. Do not let your customers lord it over you. As you have found out, they take advantage. Allow them to choose only from fabric you have in stock.
Now!!! I ordered some doorhandles from and artist who's work I absolutely adore. It took some time for them to arrive because she was making them for me specially.When I opened the parcel, they were the wrong ones, instead of being disappointed, I placed another order for more doorhandles. I didn't have the heart to disappoint her ,by letting her know they weren't the correct ones. "I love them regardless". I'm going to put them on a dresser in the bedroom.  What I'm trying to say is the difference in the fabric's colour was too small for her rude behavior.    Matilda :dance:

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Morning!  :dance: Thanks again for your messages!

Louise, I totally agree with you about customer service! I guess that's why this upset me so much. Judi, you are SO right about live-and-learn! And sometimes we have to learn the hard way, bear_grin. Matilda, I love your attitude. I'm forever trying to more assertive.... Danni, there's a photo of Bluebell (and friend) in the showcase section  bear_original.

Now, a note on Koolaid....thankyou Dilu for your fantastic description of how to dye mohair with this stuff. I'm going to print it out for future reference. I've been hearing about this method, but since I live in the UK it's hard for me to buy it. Or so I thought! I just found this website, which might be useful for others too: http://www.americansweets.co.uk/KoolAid.htm . It costs about 50p a packet plus postage, and even better they accept paypal! Yay! So I'm definitely going to try this, just for fun... (and might have to succumb to some of the other tempting US chocolates while I'm ordering from that site! I can feel the weight piling on already  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin)

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I'm really happy all is well in the end bear_original.
But... I do not understand the kool-aid thing... We can die fabrics with sweet drinks ? bear_ermm
Is is that ????
Oh... If it is : it's great bear_original, but could someone explain which flavor makes which color ??? Is it the one on the border of the paquet ?
Thanks a lot in advanve bear_laugh bear_original bear_original bear_original.
Bear hugs,
Marion

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Girls,make sure you use unsweetened Kool-aid mix,not the stuff with sugar added.At least that's what I have heard  bear_laugh

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You're right Shari. Great advice. I'm going to try and find some info on dying mohair for you guys. It's soo fun and easy, and I was very scared to try it.

Also, if anyone needs help with getting kool-aid, just drop me a PM or email and I'll see what i can do to buy you some.

Heather

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Hi Helena..I'm a bit late but I've just finished reading what ended up happening....glad Bluebell will stay and be loved, but I can't help feeling for you and your dissapointment with the whole thing too...such a shame that she had to say any of it, but like you said...circumstances may have blown things up and made her react badly when she wouldn't have normally...
Hope you are not taking any of this personally...your bears are beautiful and I know if I were wanting a bear if the shade was a little different i would fall in love with the face on arrival...I don't think people know how hard it is to match furs...
oh well..glad it is over for you and you are still on friendly terms...
at least you know about sending a sample for next time...I'm new to this too and am learning still and have learnt from your story....such a shame  bear_sad ...
hugs and feel happier  :hug:
sarah

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I don't know why I didn't pick up on this thread...anyway I am so glad it's sorted out for you, Helena...your bears are beautiful no matter what shade of blue....or any other colour.

I do agree with Judi  and Shelli, though...I am not convinced about commissions.  I like to do my own thing ....and make my own choices.

There's part of me that thinks that...as an artist/professional/bearmaker/designer..(whatever we call ourselves) we should know more about our style of bearmaking than our customers do...and therefore we should not allow the the tail to wag the dog.

I'll probably get a slap for saying all this  but I'd like to think that's why someone would buy my bear in the first place because they like what I do. It's like having a backseat driver who doesn't know how to drive if they tell me what to do.....

I am glad it's now sorted out for the best...but you know what....you always learn something from stuff like this...and that's always a good thing...even if it does hurt sometimes.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

GROAN - fatter bum coming

An American sweetie importer - whooopeeeee

Thank you God - Thank you Helena  :pray:

Penny

clare14 Country Bears
England

I immediately feel under pressure when somebody asked for something specific.   I know it's not the attitude, but I prefer to create at my own pace and 'do my own thing'!!   bear_smile

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Helena, I just saw your bear on the showcase. absolutely adorable! bear_wub :hug: Jenn

Pages:

Board footer