Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

castlebar Kookaloon Bears & Buddies
Auburn, California
Website

Hi All,

I have been admiring all the beautiful miniature bears being created here. They are all just stunning!
How in the world do you turn such tiny little fabric? I'm in AWE! :-) I have a hard time turning my little dog legs and they aren't even as small as the little bears.

All the best
Laura
Kookaloon bears and buddies

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Laura.  I don't think we've ever "spoken," so a great big warm welcome to TeddyTalk!  :hug:   I just went over to your website and your dogs are truly beautiful!  And those homes with the wall finishes... Oh My Gosh!  Amazing.  Holy cow.... is that the foyer, with those second story columns and little round windows?  WOW! 

Anyway, to your question.... after many years of making tiny little bears, i think that turning is still absolutely the hardest, most stressful part!  In fact I always say a tiny little prayer before I do it!  "God, I know that this isn't a life or death situation, but if you could please give me the patience and sure-handedness to turn these limbs, I'd be ever so greatful!"    bear_tongue  :pray:

I use tiny little forceps to turn my parts.  You should know though... because the fabric used to make minis often has a very thin backing, and a relatively short pile... it's not quite as daunting as it may seem.  I know that occassionally, when I've made a larger, mohair bear with a dense pile fabric &  very thin ankles or wrists, it's been difficult as the dickens to turn... with all that heavy fur in there... there's barely room for anything to pull through!   bear_sad

Kim Basta

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I use the same as Kim....little forceps. I also use little locking hemostats.  I don't use the tool to grab and pull the fabric.  I use the tool to hold the fabric as I sort of "roll" and manipulate the fabric back over itself.  Grabbing/locking onto the inside of the piece and then trying to pull can lead to holes when/if your tool slips off of the fabric. There's nothing more upsetting than hand stitching a tiny limb, a paw pad and then having a hole or loss of fur happen when turning  -ugh-.

Hope that helps!!
:hug:
~Chrissi

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Hi Laura , just to add my own little take ; I use pointed brow tweezers for turning everything ! (some of my bears /dogs are around 1.5") and I also help to "coax" the parts not yet turned out with the end of a very thin , but rounded , make-up brush - or just a cocktail stick .I'm afraid I just bite the end off them so they're blunter !  bear_wacko  I also think on the tinier pieces it is much easier to leave openings near to heavier parts , ie the paw pad for instance . I would then turn that part first . It is also possible to put a thread through the end of the part you want to turn (say tip of the paw) - make a large knot , leaving an end , which you can gently pull to help turn the piece inside out , then cut the knot so getting rid of it . I have to say I have only ever resorted to this once or twice though !!  bear_smile  I confess my long nails are a bit of a tool in themselves !!  bear_rolleyes
I do hope I haven't confused you !  bear_tongue
Mini Hugs , Ruth  bear_flower  bear_flower

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Every time I have tried the thread and pull I have failed.  I use the homeostats and roll as well.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I use tweezers. I start at the tip of the paw and push on the backing side towards the opening. Works most of the time for my. I rather do this  than going in the opening and grabbing the fur and pulling through.

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

I use tweezers too and it always works, as long as the opening is big enough  bear_thumb

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

me too, I use tweezers and gradually encourage the fabric round whilst holding my breath  bear_happy

Catherine
x

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Oh I have such a struggle too in this department, I have had sooooo many holes with the locking hemostats and also pushing too hard with sticks, crochet hooks, pencil ends.... all sorts, holding my breath and saying a prayer like Catherine and Kim.  It gets easier the more you do and you get to know the type of mohair/synthetic you can use or not use and also yes where to leave the openings to make things a little easier and I think it is best to take plenty of time and turn it gradually, not be too impatient as that's when the dreaded holes happen!

Warm wishes
Pauline

castlebar Kookaloon Bears & Buddies
Auburn, California
Website

Hi All,

Tweezers! never would have known :-)
Well all your little minis are just amazing! Such wonderful tiny details you all do.

I've never made a mini yet, but I've decided I'm going to start collecting them, they are just to darn cute.
Keep up the awesome work, I look forward to seeing more.

Hi kim,
nice to meet you too, yes that is a two story foyer in that picture of the faux finished home I worked on.
I would stand in that house and think of how much space I wouldn't use. LOL 11,000 sq feet of home is just to much cleaning. LOL But then they have house cleaners come in. LOL

All the best to all
Laura

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

wow.. these are some great tips.. i've just started sewing 2months ago and when i saw caya's bear  :hug: and ingrid  :dance: to name a few, i just went gaga over those mini bear. I guess i need to really handle this tiny things with gentle care, im afraid im kind of rough with it  bear_grin yesterday i just had my first try in cutting out the mini bear and hope it turns out great.

what thread would u guys recomment for mini-bear? some say upholstery... i want my first mini-bear to look good... bear_cry it will be my anniversay gift to my boyfriend.. :pray: hope it look like a bear once im finished with it! :P

~ming :redface:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I use very fine jewelery thread which I get from Sassy Fabrics.  Which you will find a link in the Vendors  section.

svgartistbears Posts: 62

There is so much happening in 'tt' dont you love it?Well theres is no TV shows worth crowing in Aua, about .
Hello everyone how you been? Im with you Wendy the fine jewellery thread or a fine Fly fishing thread is fabulous. Mom give me a tailoress tip for bridal wear when they cant turn thru a fine shoestring strap, they thread a small pearl or bead with this very strong thread and then keeping it attatched to the needle pull it thru the whole piece you wish to turn through, and start to pull and ease the faric down over it, this always works for me although starting it off you need to hold your tongue right then its a breese and there is no tears or seam splits, anyhow give it a go, just make sure your thread is strong and a reasonable sized seed pearl or bead used that wont pull thru the fabric otherwise youll end up with a ready made arm or leg joint awl hole. Let me know how it goes.

CCF26082007_00000.jpg

I thought i best draw a small diagram to explain better.

Hey have a great weekend everyone. :hug:  :hug:

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

WOW! What a great idea Shayne! bear_thumb  bear_thumb  Thanks for sharing :hug:
About the TV shows ..?? I think it is  all around!! bear_grin
Have a great weekend.
Bear hugs and Golly smiles.
Gladys

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Yes Shayne ... that's brilliant (and now stored safely in the "useful tips" dept in my brain !! )  bear_grin  bear_grin   On the question of thread ;
I use mainly Upholstery velvets to create my minis , and for them I like to use colour matched all-purpose thread for making up , but I then switch to invisible thread for closing seams ,
and attaching ears .
Mini Hugs , Ruth

Hello Ruth how are ya doing?, Well guess whos going out at lunch tomorrow at work to buy some invisible thread what a brilliant idea, i loathe that part because the stitching is so precise otherwise it shows, and the invisible thread is a brilliant idea, thanks for that one.And by the way your little Teds are soo adorably cute, congrats. :hug:  :hug:  bear_flower

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Shayne you're SO sweeet !!!
It can take a while to get used to the invisible thread it's so fine (like sewing with human hair   bear_grin  ) Try not to get too impatient with it - eventually it's a doddle !  bear_tongue
Ruth  bear_grin  bear_flower

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

Shayne that was a brilliant idea.. im going to give that a try on my next mini bear and share that with my friend who got tempted to sew minibear after seeing me dong it. It really does helps that u illustrate it, thanks so much...

ruth and the rest of you guys have been great. i really appreciate the tip and do learn from all of your experience. i have just sew my first mini-bear and it looks ok, but the ear thread did show abit and i did wish that i use invisible thread as u guys suggested, i read it too late bear_cry once i finish it by this week, ill start with another :pray:  and hope it turn out great...

i still cant decide what color to order from sassy! her dye are to die for! gosh... so many color, but so little budget bear_grin

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

One tip about turning with thread that I've learned works better for me is to take a somewhat strong thread, from the opening go down with the needle to the point that you need to turn, take a stitch from one side over a few of the material stitches to another spot, then come back up to the opening.  This leaves you with two tails of the thread to pull on instead of a knot at the stress point that you're trying to turn.  Pull on the thread ends and roll down while pulling and it usually turns well.  Finish off the turn with the end of a crochet hook (not the HOOK end) to smooth out the seam or turned area, then just pull out the turning thread and you're done :-)

/bearhugs,

Thats an even easier way too Mary, alot less fiddly than the beaded thread way too. You know i just dont know what i'd do without TT, every day there's an easier way, it's such a fantastic think tank this TT forum, i'm making  less mistakes by being here and learning by each new thread I read, Mary i think your little teddies and your Crochet is magnificent, congratulations they're little darlings- thanks for sharing your knowledge. :hug:  :hug:

Board footer