Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

When making a wire skeleton do you just make a wire stick figure or do you make it more three dimensional (will this make it stronger?).
I am want it to be strong but not easily felt.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I think it depends on what you want the askeleton to do bear_original If is needs to flex then I would say it would be better to have just the one, strong wire: this means less wiring to get bent out of shape and will prevent the structure from getting 'bumps' bear_tongue If it's for strength, maybe a soldered group would be better... I hope that makes some sense!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have been reading up in doll making books about this and apparently it's important not to twist the wires because it weakens them.I usually wire the arms of my bears and I use a double copper wire which I bind with an elastic bandage so it can't be felt through the limbs fabric but is very moveable. I don't think this type of wire would be any good as a wire body armature...I think something more substantial would be needed ...and there are sculpting suppliers that do various thicknesses of wire for this. You could make a stick  figure but it would need to be very solid but also pliable....I reckon double thickness pliable wire,not twisted ,and formed into the shape you need might be the solution...covered with something..I find the bandage easy and requires no sewing as it sticks to itself...

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Great idea with the bandages.  Thanks muchly

Board footer