Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I just spent $18 on 9 oranges.  My own fault, wasn't paying attention and they were the only oranges in the store....

So  my question:   Can I freeze orange zest in a ziplock airtight sandwhich bag without too much loss of the volatile oils?

Or is it silly to even try and I should just squeeze the oranges.....

These came from Oz by the way, thank you to all our Aussie friends, as our American supply of Oranges is rather scarce....

gollythanks and hugs for any info

dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hormel says: "The zest can be frozen and used later, so if you are just juicing the oranges, you can remove the zest before cutting up the oranges. It is easier to remove the zest from a whole orange than one that has already been juiced. Place the zest into an airtight freezer bag or container and freeze for up to 6 months."

Sunkist simply says: "Grated citrus zest freezes well. Seal some in a plastic bag and pop it into the freezer for next time!"

But just to set the record straight: I'm not a bored HomeEc Maven.... keeping house, cleaning, cooking, all of that I despise! I'm just a bear artist procrastinating on making dinner!
:crackup:

Great news Daphne, Thanks heaps.....I can finish up the oranges, and you are quite correct, they are mych easier to zest and then squueze.

appreciate the heads up.

dilu

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Yes, you certainly can. We have all kinds of citrus zest frozen. With all of the air spaces around the bits though, they can dry and get freezer burn. They're still OK to use but I often wonder of they are still as citrusy a flavor then.

When I'm not lazy, I squeeze a bit of juice around them which eliminates the air pockets and just drain it off as it thaws if your recipe calls for 'drier' (fresh) zest or if the tablespoon of juice would throw off your recipe proportions.

Thanks Bobbie, I had been using the suck-on-a-straw technique, but I will try yours, it makes more sense.

gollyhugs
dilu

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

LOL - I can just see you turning blue in the face.... and never getting all of the air out!!

I have little 1" x 2" zip baggies that I use to pkg kit eyes in, so it's easy to do the juiced bit.

So, you'd already taken freezer burn into account.

At that price, I'd be trying to figure out a way to use the seeds and pith too!!!

Board footer