Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

OK guys. I understand the avatar topic in general. I know what size the avatar needs to be and how to get there. But what I am amazed and confused about is how you guys get yours to look like you do. Sue Ann, Shelli, Judi, Paula and all you other delightful gals out there, know what I mean. You have these absolutely beautiful avatars with frames and your names on them. How the heck do you do that???????? I am so confused!

Hugs Louise

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Louise,

They're done in a graphics program.  I think Shelli made them for the lucky people who have them...  I might give it a try one day!!! (I have heaps of things i want to do..!!)

Danni

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I did my avatar myself using a combination of Photo Impression and American Greetings.  Once I got what I was satisfied with, I then printed and scanned my image to save in my picture file to then be downloaded to Photobucket.  I know this is the long way around, but it was all I knew.  It really wasn't hard (I do have a daughter who can answer questions for me), if I can do it anyone can.  I know very little when it comes to computers.  I was born in the BC era (before computers).

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I didn't do all of them but I can claim a few! 

I hope someday to gather clientele for my budding (but still very rookie) design skills but, for now, would love to make one for you both (Louise, Danni.)  Send me a good photo -- preferably looking straight on -- and let me know your color/style preferences and I'll see what I can do.

They are done, by the way, in a graphics program.  I happen ot use PhotoShop 7.0 but there are many other options if you'd like to tinker around with such a thing yourself.  PhotoShop Elements is, I hear, a wonderful program, with much of the functionality of the big PhotoShop program that I use available for users, but in a somewhat "simpler" format (PhotoShop is a very hard program to learn and I think I could spend ten hours a day learning it and still be learning twenty years from now.)

Find me at:  info@potbellybears.com

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi Shelli

I've been wondering what graphics programme to buy - now i know!

BUT, it sounds as if i shall be nearing 90 before i can actually use it to any effect. Why are all these programmes sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo difficult to use - bet they were designed by men.

I recently bought 'Photo Artmaster' which, as the blurb on the front of the packaging reads, "turn your photos into fine art" hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah - i have managed to load it - open it and close it down. I have'nt even managed to make my photos look like a kids finger painting yet let alone anything even remotely resembling fine art. Even the manual is for brainiacs, it does'nt mean diddly squat to me. Might as well be written in ancient aramaic for all the good it is going to do me!

This is from a woman who JUST manages to run a website - i still don't have a clue how to work off-line and upload to the site AND i can't even put a background on it either - so Shelli as far as i'm concerned - you are a goddess of the computer and i shall worship at your doubtless spotlessly clean feet!

Penny bear_rolleyes

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Aw, that's very sweet, Penny... but I am really not all that computer literate, I swear it.  It's not false modesty.  I fumble and stumble around like everyone else; I just have greater tolerance for staying up really late! 

Let me know if/how I can help in any way as you move forward and I'll do my best to assist where I can.

COOOOOOOOL SHELLI, THANKS - I'LL BE YOUR BESTEST FIEND FOR EVER N EVER

Penny bear_laugh

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I don't want a bestest FIEND... I have of those already, in the form of my husband.  How bout being my bestest FRIEND instead...???

bear_laugh:P:D

OKEY-DOKEY SHELLI

It was a typo - or maybe it was a Freudian slip!

It must be really interesting being married to a fiend, i'm married to a fitness fanatic but i think that they're basically the same thing

Penny bear_grin

Tofield Alberta Canada

Thank you guys. You wont believe it but I woke up this morning and a little angel by the name of Laura (yes our Laura) had one done for me and sent it to me by e-mail. Thank you all for your offers and tips. Love yah all!!

Hugs Louise

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ooh Gee Shelli, I wasn't hinting.. Honest...  Thankyou SO much for the very sweet offer.

I don't want to be a burden on your time... but thanks for the offer chicky babe!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Louise, I just played around in the 'Fireworks' programme I use for my photo editing.  It's easy peasy to make one in there!

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Come on Louise ,you must show us your new Avatar.  Hugs Rita x

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Spiffy new avatar, Louise.  The sweetest, kindest people hang out around here.

Hugs,

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Which reminds me, Laure... I've been trying to email you an avatar but your program keeps telling me it's too big and returning it undeliverable.  How do we get around that?

Tofield Alberta Canada

Awwww, You guys are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love each and every one of you!!!!

Hugs Louise

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Shelli,

Thanks.  You are most definitely too sweet (but don't change). bear_happy  How big is it?  If the avatar is only 185 pixels wide, as is acceptable on this board, I can't imagine how it would be too big for my program.

I have been thinking about calling you regarding another matter, but I have had a writing project over my head, as well as normal day-to day life, which, as certainly most of us know, can interrupt for days at a time.  I finished the most urgent writing project tonight, and will need to clear a couple of other semi-urgent ones before I can formulate any new plans.  As soon as I can, I'll call you.

Let me know if you still have problems with the avatar, we'll figure something out.

Hugs,

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

It's an itty, bitty file, sized to use as an avatar at 72dpi, which is why I can't figure it out either.  I'll try again in a bit.  Maybe it was just a fluke thing over the day or so I resent it repeatedly.

Talk later!

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Shelli,  If nothing else works, you could try publishing it to the web, and then putting the link in an email to me.  This is the free, no registration required, website I've been using for getting pics onto this site.  It's unbelievably simple to use.  http://www.pix05.com/

Board footer