Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Just wondering if anyone has had carpel tunnel syndrome and how it was treated. 

After waking up three mornings with numb hands I went to my doctor who diagnosed carpel tunnel syndrome.  She gave me wrist/hand braces for both hands and prescribed hand physical therapy. 

Has anyone had surgery for carpel tunnel?  I'm reading this is quite successful.  Any other treatments that might be helpful?  I've just gotta get my hands back, this just won't do ! ! !

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Patty... wasn't it you on the Edinbrugh Community board who had surgery for trigger finger??? Perhaps it was someone else.

My suggestion: see a chiropractor, do specific stretching exercises, ice your wrists often (especially before bed and after a lot of bear work) and consult with an orthopedic doctor.... if you want alternatives to surgery to start with tell them that.... a good one will give you lots of helpful advice..... a money hungry one will only suggest surgery. It sounds like you are in the beginning stages so you shouldn't need surgery right now and with some preventative measures you may never need it.

I know many who have had the surgery. It is common and very successful.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Patty,
My chiropractor told me to set a timer to go off every 20 minutes.  When the timer went off I was to stop sewing or whatever I was doing on the bears and put my hands up in the air and move and wiggle everything.  Even shake while the hands are straight up in the air. 
He also has me put my hands on the door frame and lean forward through the door.  He wants me to do it every time I walk through a door.  His theory is that we keep our hands bent and in one position for too long of periods of time and need to stretch them back out the opposite direction.  I also use arnica gel when I have overdone it.  If you don't understand the exercises, have me show you tomorrow at the show. 
Bear Hugs,
Donna

ursidae Posts: 227

Had it in both wrists.  Diagnosed about 5 1/2 yrs ago.  My doc isn't the kind of guy to fool around with stuff that might work but might not.  So we didn't bother with braces or physio or anything else time consuming because I need to use my hands. 

Bear in mind, they were both pretty bad...so that factored into the decision as well.

Got in for surgery about 4 months after I was diagnosed.  I had both wrists operated on.  Right wrist first, left wrist 2 weeks later.

It was quick, honestly, not all that painful.  The MOST painful part was the needles in the palm to freeze the area BEFORE surgery.  I was encouraged to start using my hand as quickly as possible, so I was pecking out keys on the computer the first day of surgery.  Each one was healed within 2 weeks.

I would honestly recommend surgery to anyone who is suffering with it.  Why suffer?

**as a side note....it can re-occur...it's uncommon but does happen.  Because of the repetitive nature of what we do, I have to have my left wrist done again.  However, I honestly think it's worth it.  I had 5 yrs of perfect, pain free hands and re-occurance in only the one hand.

bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Patty...... Gina's mention of a reoccurance reminded me of my aunt..... 15 years later she has TREMENDOUS problems with both hands..... she does secretarial work... repetitive montion. The doctor's won't operate on her again as she's had it done twice in one wrist and the walls of the 'tunnel' are too weak or some similar reasoning to that. I'd say just find out about long tern effects if you decided not to change your habits or give exercises a shot first.

ursidae Posts: 227

I'd say just find out about long tern effects if you decided not to change your habits or give exercises a shot first.

:redface:  :redface:  :redface:

Ya.....that's a huge part of the problem.

The surgery works like a son of a gun.....but if you don't quit/change your habits.....well...... :redface:  bear_whistle  :redface:  bear_whistle  :redface:

Good point Daphne   bear_tongue

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

I also have it in both wrists and when it is bad I wear the wrist splints at night. Here in Canada some Drs's are treating it using laser in their office so no surgery. Is this available in the US?
Hugs
Gail

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Wearing the wrist splints at night are a good thing.  Ditto the exercise.  My MIL has had it done and can't believe how good her hands are now.  I am going to have to have it done in future but  will put it off as long as I can

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

I use to suffer from this and from time to time I do and I get my braces back out. I think if you  give your hands some rest time it will really help. Keep using the braces. I know it is frustrating though. And today if I lift heavy items I get it back for a few days. I will lift a prayer Patty.

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Patty,
Do a web search for homeopathic Ruta Grav.

Hugs &

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

I've had it too, but not from bearmaking - it was when I was training to be a court stenographer - too much typing!

I went to a physiotherapist I think and had arm massages as all my muscles were inflamed too, had different hand exercises I had to do every day and wore braces for a while.  I haven't had it since.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

It was the similar tunnel gravois that blew out my right hand from dog grooming, forcing me into retirement.  Surgery wasn't an option because in my area there was an 80% rate of the person never using their hand again!!  bear_shocked   So I braced my wrist and lived on Excedrins, and eventually braced my elbow as the pain was transferred there.

I came across an older osteopath who thankfully waved aside the braces, made me take them off, and wouldn't even look to my wrist.  He said the cause was all up in the shoulder area....and hey howdy when he touched that shoulderblade ~ yeowch  bear_cry   I had chiro adjustments weekly for roughly two months.  At the end of which time I was painfree and hand my hand totally back. 

I do keep up with the stretches, and have been able to continue sewing my teds, but I do recognize I have to compensate for some things....so no sewing noses for me.  I can't grip the needle for that long. 

Much of it is down to stretching, stretching, stretching those hands and wrists out, and massaging the tendon sites where they join at the elbow.  Believe me, if you start rubbing there, you'll find the sore bits. 

I have a friend that had the surgery done in California, and his worked brilliantly, but be exceedingly careful and picky about the doctor you chose.  This is a very important choice.

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Thanks, everyone, for such good advice.  For now, I'm wearing the braces and it's much improved already.  I was trying to make too many bears in too short a time for a show.  From now on, I'm going to keep making them in advance so I will always have enough, no more cramming.  I did the same thing that brought about the trigger finger for which I had a successful surgery.

I'll be going to hand physical therapy and taking it easy for a while.  I'm going to look for some ruta grav ( we have a pretty good health food store here that probably sells it).  I'm also going to take the stretching and frequent rests advice.

You're all just the BEST ! ! !  Thanks a TON ! ! !

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Patty I have carpel tunnel in my right hand. I was'nt able to use my hand for weeks when it happpened.
Only sewing makes it play up. Otherwise it isnt to much of a big deal. If it starts to niggle then I have to put my brace on so I can continue to sew. If I let it get to the state where I have to lift my right hand by gripping it at the wrist with my left hand in order to reach something, then I know it is time to give it plenty of rest.
The worst is the pain and the fact that I lose all strength and am unable to grip anything  with my right hand.
BUT that is only if I dont take heed and rest it.
   I have a friend who had the same trouble BUT with BOTH hands and she had them operated on. She recovered fully in a short amount of time and several years later she says they are just like new.
Wendy

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

I get it perodically in my right wrist, and I just rest it and use a brace.  Sorry to be a "naysayer" regarding surgery, but I would consider that the very last resort.  Before he retired my father was a general surgeon, but he was one of the ones that would try everything before "cutting", and I guess he has passed that philosophy on to me.  Try all the other things first, rest, anti-inflamatories, a brace, and excercise.
Good luck!

Stellajella Wien

Patty,
I got the same problem, but I donĀ“t want an operation ( chickin me)
Braces...ok, help a bit....vitamin B helped and magnesium...
All the best!

Gaby bear_flower

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I always learn something new on here.  I have problems with both hands, so much that it's what started my interest in making the photo jewelry again.  I have the braces and my hands keep me awake at night with numbness.  I also get the shock when I pull hard on something with my right hand, accompanied by tendon problems with my left.

Anyway, sorry to rant on, but I never knew about using Vitamin B for it, which actually makes sense as I know B12 can be used for Diabetic Neuropathy, which affects the nerves. I also have arnica gell so I will definitely give them both a try.  Thanks for the info!

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer