Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

My cousin, who owns an alpaca farm in Kentucky, sent me a huge bag of the softest, finest wool.  I think it was the wool sheared from one alpaca.  It's black and dark gray, so that limits it's use a bit. 

My question:  Do I have to do anything to it to start felting it?  It is very clean, no smell or bits of straw.  There are some little lumps here and there.

Penn Valley, CA

HI Jessi, and welcome.  The alpaca fur I have is raw.  I guess then, that I should card it?  I can do that.  Thanks for answering my question. bear_original   If you have any more suggestions, I'm all ears.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Patty ,I found alpaca to soft for any structural type of felting but it makes a lovely overlay.

Penn Valley, CA

Thanks Wendy.  Do you or anyone else want some?  I have a HUGE bag of it. I think it's way more than I could ever use for overlay.  I'll mail out for free ! ! !

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Patty,
Thank you so much!!! I got my alpaca today...it is so clean & soft, and I love the color! I can hardly wait to start working with it...will let you know how it goes.

Hugs &

Adkins, Texas

Ok...I have all the alpaca carded into batts!! Got 6 beautiful batts out of what you sent me Patty. You can see how it came out here>2876735760101655582BNxkxP_th.jpg
Click on the picture of the spun merino yarn to see the alpaca pictures.

It is very clean, but not washed. There was a tiny tiny bit of dirt & vegetable matter in it, but that came out while I was carding it. Patty, you cousin really keeps her animals clean, and must have given this one a bath before sherring time. I would strongly suggest washing it  before it is used for needle felting. I have washed wool before, but not alpaca. I wonder if anyone out there might have some advice about that. I am going to spin most of this into yarn & knit some things with it & then wet felt it, so it will be washed that way. I do want to use some for needle felting too, so hope someone can explain how to wash it.

Thanks again Patty, and tell you cousin I love the alpaca! I will add pictures to my webshots album when I get some of spinning done.

Hugs &

Penn Valley, CA

Charlotte, I can't wait to see what you make with the alpaca.  I might have to pick your brain a bit about the carding.  And, I thought the fur was very clean too. No smell to it at all.  She must give them a good shampooing before shearing.  I know she loves her alpacas so much she can't sell them.  They have a beautiful ranch in Kentucky with about 30 or so animals.  Here she is hugging on one of the babies (her mom and sis stand by).
And another picture of more of her "children".

muriel_brenda_cheryl_Small.JPG

alpaca_Small.JPG

Adkins, Texas

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub awwww...what beautiful babies...no wonder she can't part with them...I would love to have some...maybe I can trade a couple of my goats for one, but I think it would take a whole herd of goats for one alpaca...I hear they are quite expensive...

I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about carding! Will let you know what I make for sure.

Hugs &

Adkins, Texas

I found this information this morning on the web.

Cleaning Alpaca Wool
It is not necessary to clean alpaca before spinning, because the fiber does not have grease in it. Some spinners find it easier to spin without washing it first. But if you have a really dirty fleece and want to clean it, follow these steps.

1. Pick out all of the vegetable matter by hand.
2. Fill a sink or dishpan with lukewarm water and a mild detergent.
3. Gently press the fiber down into the water without agitating it.
4. Let the fiber soak for 10-15 minutes.
5. Gently lift the fiber out of the water and squeeze the excess water out with your hands. (Do not wring the water out).
6. Repeat steps 2 - 5 depending on how dirty the fiber is.
7. Spread the fiber onto a towel and roll it to absorb excess water.
8. Spread the fiber into the open air to dry. It is best to dry the fiber on a screen so that the air can circulate underneath.
9. Store the alpaca in a paper bag, cardboard box, or a plastic bag with holes in it. (Storing alpaca in a garbage or trash bag will cause moisture to build up inside the bag and the fiber will felt.

Adkins, Texas

if you go to post #7 above & check my webshots album again, there are pictures of the spun Alpaca & Periwinkle Merino 2 ply yarn I spun today...I really love spinning the alpaca!!!

Hugs &

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I have come home from the UK with a whole assortment of various fibers for felting. One bag is a lovely shade of chocolate alpaca. I also got fine camel hair and some soya bean fiber, plus the rest.
The alpaca I felted with from a SA farm was great to work with, they are sending me a bump as well as the clippings that are taken from the lower legs which I was told is coarser.
Will be experimenting with it all over the next few weeks.

Lynette

Adkins, Texas

Oh Lynette,
Sounds like fiber heaven!! Have fun with it!!!
Looking forward to seeing what you create with such a variety.

Hugs &

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Charlotte, forgot I also got angora-(Rabbit- brain is on a go slow) this is for who must HAVE everything that opens and closes- now to find the time  bear_grin  bear_grin
Lynette

Adkins, Texas

AlpacaWoolPurse003b.jpgOK, I have a finished product using the Alpaca/indigo wool yarn I spun from the beautiful alpaca Patty sent me. As promised, here is what I made.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

That looks great Charlotte

Adkins, Texas

Thanks Patsy!

Hugs &

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Good grief, Charlotte.  You have talent positively oozing out of your pores.  That bag is incredible.

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to nail you down to make me a custom bag at some point.  I LOVE knitted/felted bags but just can't find one big enough for all the crud I carry around on a daily basis, that's ALSO in colors that I like.  Your style is so pretty.  Do you take commissions for this kind of thing?

Adkins, Texas

Shelli,
You know I do custom orders...you just let me know size, color, pattern etc...and we can certainly work something out just special for your needs...I am really loving doing these purses...would be a great pleasure to coordinate a special purse just for you.

Hugs &

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Charlotte,
Your ears must be twitching, as you have been in my thoughts. Firstly that bag is great !!!!!!!!!!!!!
secondly on the thread about the drop handle- what have you got me into !!!!!!!!!!!! My drop handle arrived- and never mind it producing wool- it produced a lot of giggles. Yikes I must go back to the post where you demonstrated it.

Lynette

Penn Valley, CA

Oh Charlotte, it's beautiful ! ! !   Amazing transformation ! ! !

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

VERY CLEVER CHARLOTTE!!! :dance:  :dance:

Adkins, Texas
fredbear wrote:

Charlotte,
Your ears must be twitching, as you have been in my thoughts. Firstly that bag is great !!!!!!!!!!!!!
secondly on the thread about the drop handle- what have you got me into !!!!!!!!!!!! My drop handle arrived- and never mind it producing wool- it produced a lot of giggles. Yikes I must go back to the post where you demonstrated it.

Lynette

Lynette,
Ahhh that's what's going on with my ears..lol. Here is a link to the video that you might be looking for.
http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/HowToDropspin.shtml

Hugs &

Adkins, Texas
matilda wrote:

VERY CLEVER CHARLOTTE!!! :dance:  :dance:

Thanks Wendy, It's sort of like magic when I make one of these.
Hugs &

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Thanks for the info Charlotte- now can you tell me where I can look to find more time  bear_rolleyes  bear_rolleyes

Always onto something new to try, living and learning.
Lynette

Board footer