Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Wow, I have learnt so much here!  Its been great.   Ellen I work the same way as you, when I do auction (which is rare) I list for what I want, I not only find I sell better that way, but if I only get one bid I'm happy too.  And yes, ebay, B4B, great advertising  bear_thumb

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Dear Ellen, I don't think that you need to be defensive, its what you believe and I admire that

I truely understand, 2 years ago I developed migraines, I thought it was my age etc (early womans things), eventaully 4 months ago I could not stand it any longer, I was ill every weekend and they had started to last longer than 3 days so I went to my doctor. He said I had long term stress and my only options were to give up work or take heroin!!his words not mine. I have been left with permenant headaches. Anyway (trying not to ramble) I decided there must be something I could do, making something and walking the dog seemed the answer, so here I am.

It seems to me that these pint sized bundles are so much more than bits of material, so many of us on this site have ailments of some kind and bears are helping them deal with life, maybe that is why ebay is such a hot topic because we all want the same thing, to sell our bears to people who will love them as much as we do and what works for one does not work for others

:hug:

Stitch SanguineCreations
Wales

As an ebay seller and buyer. I have to agree with most of what Sue (FenBeary Folk) said.

Though if something has a reserve, I don't bother. Personally it irritate me, to have no idea, what price the buyer wants. I like a starting price.

Also paypal, if it's not offered, I don't bother. Especially on items outside of the UK.

I too prefer it if there are no other bidders, that doesn't put me off.  I used to bid in the last seconds but I've not done that for ages. I tend to put in my top offer and leave it.

When looking at other sellers on Ebay, and their item does not sell, I don't think less of their item, sometimes I can't believe it didn't sell. I assume, that others, like myself, just can't afford it.

If they don't show postage, I will ask, before bidding or not bother...depending on how much time is left on the item.

I am one of those people who will ask questions and often still buy. Usually it's because they have not been descriptive enough. ..ie they've not said the size of the item they are selling (not bears) Sometimes it's because I see two similar items, and I'm decideing between the two and want all the facts first.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I'm finally back at the computer after hubby's week long holiday!  Yeaaahhh!  I've been trying to catch up on this post as I love to hear everyone's opinion, and there has been some good advice.

My basic story is one I've probably told before - I did lots of shows successfully in the NE United States for about 6 years, until our son was badly injured in a motorbike accident overseas, and had to come home to recoup for almost a year.  He couldn't be left alone and I couldn't do any more shows.  Truth be told, I was just about done with shows, as attendance was decreasing and 9/11 had happened and going across the border was becoming much more difficult.

Ebay was the only option for continuing sales, and I have to say I looooove it.  I guess I'm not very good at the business side of things, as I have never listed at the same time of the week, but I do try and avoid ending on the weekends, as that hasn't worked for me.  I love the freedom to make whatever I want, without doing orders.  I've been tremendously fortunate that I have been able to sell everything I make, but I do have occasional bears that don't sell.    I NEVER re-list the same bear - I ALWAYS give it a complete makeover first and it has worked for me. 

I have been approached by stores, several times, and that has been simply from seeing my bears on Ebay, so it has been good advertising for me.  I have a mailing list and ALWAYS notify customers, when I list a new bear.  I have a very loyal group of buyers, that seem to rotate bidding on my bears, and I am very grateful for that, but it took me about 8 months to get a significant number of customers for my list.  I have a website now, but still haven't done a ME page, so I probably should. 

I always start lower than my reserve, and have occasionally revealed the reserve to a bidder, when asked.  I use the Feature Plus on occasion, when it's a special piece, but for the most part I just use the border around my auction for $3.00.   

Ebay is like shopping or selling anywhere - there are good times and not so good times and you have to ride them out.  Summer and holiday times are not as good, but I've been able to make sales.    Recently I have  joined Bear-Artists-Online and am curious to see how the first online show goes.  I love the set-up, and it might just be the start of something great.   I just think the more places that you can get your name out to, and your bears seen, the better off you will be.

hugs,

Brenda

DollsNTeddyBears Posts: 1

Hi There, I Hope Someone can Help Me Out...I have this Beautiful Huge Plush Polar Bear that is tagged Jouets Berger Made In France and an address. I have not been able to find another one like it on ebay or the web. When i finally did find my Bear, which i was Soooo Happy i did, the Store that used it as their Bear for Advertising has now closed. I have many  Older Teddy Bear and Friends and Teddy Bear Review Magazines from the 1990's and sure enough i was looking through some of them and spotted my Beautiful Polar Bear in a Ad By Enchantements located in Georgia. This Store i believe at one time was very well known and many of the magazines have this Stores Ad with a picture of My Polar Bear. I did try and call the store but they are no longer in Business it seems. Does anyone know of this store or the ad and Polar Bear i am talking about? Thank You for any Help

Board footer