Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Just saw this on the news:
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=598&sid=1264885

What do you think... will the roof be repaired in time for the Hunt Valley show being held there in 3 weeks?  Ack!   bear_shocked  Guess I will email the promoters, and make sure they know about it!

Kelly

Edited to add: Video is available on CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/10/roof.c … cnnSTCText

Extremely scary!  A glass section of the roof fell 8 stories.  They are so lucky there was only one injury and no fatalities!

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Oh, this is so *STINKY*!!!!  I was so looking forward to actually staying in the hotel and NOT driving up the morning of the show like I did last year.  I'm wondering what this does to the show in general and if they'll still have it?  Did you share this story with the show promoters Kelly?

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

My dad just called me with this sad and disturbing news. The one injury is said to be minor. I'm so thankful that this happened at an off time when there was not a breakfast or event crowd gathering.  My parents just stayed in this hotel a few weeks ago and were planning to stay again the weekend of the show. 
I'm anxious to hear what will happen with the show now...I'm stocked with bears and so excited about my first show  bear_noexpression    Waiting for word from the promoters.  What a total mess for them  bear_sad

:hug:
~Chrissi

NY

Lisa, I emailed the first link to the McKays through the email address on their site.  Does anyone have contact into for the Wilsons?

I must say, this is looking bad.  The county inspector has declared the entire building unsafe and all occupants have been evacuated.

<sigh>
Kelly

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I have the Wilson's phone number as I just talked to Alex last week.  I'll give him a ring and let you guys know what I find out.

Terribly sad.  I'm really glad that it happened at 2:00 and not in the morning when they are serving breakfast.  Really awful.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Hi guys,
I just spoke with Janet Wilson and her husband Alex and Mark McKay are on their way to look at the hotel right now.  She said to hang in there and that they will send out an announcement as soon as they know something.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh my gosh!!!  Glad there were no serious injuries!!!  I feel so bad for Mark and Susan -- there are so many last minute things to take care of for a show.  Having the venue's ROOF fall in weeks before the show is definitely not something to be expected!  bear_wacko

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Thanks Lisa!!

This here is a local hunt valley newscast where you can see just how big that glass ceiling was that fell.  It's a miracle no one was seriously hurt or killed.  Plus a wedding was about to happen, they're all so lucky to have not been in that lobby.

http://wjz.com/topstories/local_story_283142353.html

:hug:
~Chrissi

NY

I posted an update from an email response I received from Mark, and then noticed that Lisa had posted much the same thing above.  I'm a little slow  bear_original

Sounds like it's just time to keep our fingers crossed!
Kelly

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Wow this is just awful,  there is no way the repairs will be done in time Kelly.   They will have to do an investigation and have it all inspected I can't see them getting all of that done in three weeks.  Will have to wait and see if Mark and Alex are able to find another place and move it or just forget it for this yr.

hugs

Shane

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Here's the E-mail I got from Mark McKay this morning.  He asked me to post it here.

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your email. Please post this message on Teddy Talk for us please.

Yes, we are aware of the news story today
about the partial roof collapse at the Hunt Valley Embassy Suites Hotel. We
have been in contact with the hotel this afternoon and again this evening.

Alex Wilson will be on site tomorrow(Thursday) meeting with our catering
manager and the hotel's G.M.  We will have a better picture of their
situation and course of direction by the end of the week. We will release an updated statement at that time once we have had the opportunity to discuss the current problem with the Hunt Valley Hotel Staff.

We remain optimistic that our show will operate as scheduled. Preliminary news reports indicate that  no structural damage was caused to any other part of the hotel. There was no report of fire. The ballroom wing of the hotel is located well away from the central part of the Atrium where the accident occurred.Thank goodness that there were no serious injuries to anyone.

The hotel is entering their busy season with conferences, weddings and company Christmas events.After our two conversations with hotel representatives today, we believe the hotel will do whatever they can to reopen as quickly as possible.

Best,

Mark Mckay
Teddy Bears on Vacation

Alex Wilson
Handmade Treasures

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Wow! What a mess! I'm thinking Shane is probably right. Not only do they have a huge mess to clean up but they've got to replace that roof and if the other one has a crack in it as mentioned in one of the reports, that will have to get fixed too before the hotel reopens. I'd imagine there's a lot of cosmetic damage inside as well. Can they fix it all in 3 weeks?

I feel badly for Mark and Alex as well..... this is NOT the kind of thing a promoter is likely prepared for!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Anyone heard news?

NY

Lisa would probably be the first to hear anything from the promoters.  However, I am keeping tabs on the news articles about the hotel online.

http://washingtontimes.com/article/2007 … 20089/1004

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/ … 7131.story

Anyway, what I'm seeing repeatedly is that #1 they need to find out what caused the collapse in the first place.  Until they do that, they cannot start patching the roof, securing the 2nd window section, and cleaning up the mess from the first.  And of course, until they do all of that, they can't re-open.  Most recent news I've seen is that they still do not know the cause.

The Washington Times article mentions that the hotel is calling all guests with reservations for the next 2 weeks, to help them book at other hotels.  So it seems that they are expecting to be closed for at least that long.  With the show 3 weeks away, there's still no definite yes or no, but it is sure it cutting it close!  I'm sure the Wilsons and Mckays are doing everything they can to get things figured out post haste.

Cheers,
Kelly

Board footer