Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

I got so many excess materials from previous bear such as mohair and yet i got some felt type of material, and some paw pad... how do you keep them organized?  bear_wacko  If i put it in a clear file, they get too heavy and might break the plastic envelope. bear_sad . any tips? how do you keep the joints organized as well???? hmmmm....  bear_wacko thanks

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

desk.jpgI keep all my pieces of fur and ultrasuede in little plastic draws that I have sitting on the desk.  I have seperate draws for joints and tools, threads, embellishments etc...I keep larger pieces of fur in big plastic tubs underneath the desk.  I'm starting to run out of space again so was going to buy some more draws this weekend actually!  bear_original

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Lee: I'm not that organized. I am looking for things all the time due to having several projects going. A bear artist I know said she waits for sales and will buy multiple scissors, and sewing stuff.  This way she is not carting all the sewing things around the house. It’s sort of having identical sets of her sewing essentials in each room and that is where they stay.

For storing joints, go to any craft store and find a plastic organzer with small boxes (they can adjust larger). This is perfect for mini joints.

I do have a craft closet though and it holds fur and bins of things. Even the bins are not organized:

TT-Copy_of_My_Bear_Making_Suppy_Closet.jpg

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I have these last couple of days reorganised my disks beads and buttons. I have more I want to organise as well.
I had containers for each set of thingys and was able to put it all in just these few containers. Everything can be reached and most importantly can be put back in its right spot.  You just wouldnt believe how many jars tins and plastic bags went to the recycle when I finished this.

Storagedisks1.jpg
every single disk is in here. No more seperate jars and packets
Storagebeads1.jpg
all these beads and findings were in about 8 seperate containers. Now selection is so much easier.
Storagebeads2.jpg
All of the above now only takes up this amount of space. Clearly seen and easy to get to. I'm so chuffed. bear_grin
Storagedisksbeads1beads2.jpg
I bought these containers from the fishing section at kmart. the large containers were $12 and the two little ones were$3 ea. that is only a third of the price from the homemakers section.
My aim is to get all my supplies to fit my two cube shelf wall units I have in my workroom. Six of these large containers will fit into one cube.   I have 18 cubes. Lots of storage potential I reckon.
I'm yet to work on my fabrics but I do plan to hang them and my paw pad fabrics I think I will put in shelves designed for scrap booking.
Wendy :dance:

Melbourne, Australia

What fantastic containers Wendy, I might have a look for those next time i go to Kmart bear_original

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Wendy: you are one organized woman!! I love you idea about fishing boxes. I've just throw things in boxes in my closet. Sad but true.....We all have our faults......

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

wow.. what great suggestions! bear_laugh . i love all your ideas and will see what works for me from your suggestions.. im only organized when it comes to my eyes and beads, the rest are in one whole box..while the rest is god knows where bear_grin . but i do love the container of Wendy... maybe i will ask my friend to get those because we dont have kmart here bear_tongue .. they look great! thanks all again.  ~ming

WA

Girls I was becoming so disorganised and had to look in so many different containers and bags and I wasnt putting things away properly  and was just getting myself so steamed up because I couldnt find what I wanted and refused to pay those very expensive prices I had seen for plastic containers that when I saw theeeessse and they were sooooo cheeeaap, I just had to have them. I went back to kmart yesterday and they had all sold. bumma.
You will not recognise your selves when you get this organised bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin
Wendy bear_thumb

Melbourne, Australia

Hey Wendy, I went to Kmart today and got the same fishing tackle box!  They had heaps of them.  I just bought one to start off with, I'm planning to put all my eyes, joints and charms in it  bear_grin

buttonbears BUTTONBEARS
Holland

All my furs etc. are in large ZIPlock bags in order to keep the insects away and than in large boxes sorted by sort (minifabrics, vintage fabrics, ultra-suede, felt etc) or colours (tans, pastel-shades, dark colours, overdyed etc.
The smaller boxes I bought in the shop (where mostly women are a rare sort) where they sell tools and also have beautifull tranparant boxes for organizing nuts and bults, but also buttons, ribbons etc.

The cardboard patterns are also stored in ziplocks bags with a picture of the bear I made from the pattern and sometimes a piece of fabric as well.

My tools are stored is boxes that I can pile up in my cupboard and labeld so that I need not look for hours to find them....

Now I am still looking for a big inflatable room to attach to my house to have the boxex piled up in! Any ideas???LOL! bear_grin

Marijke
ButtonBears Holland

WA

I ziplock my small fabrics and scrap pieces as well Marijke. I also put the listed details and pattern pieces and fabric samples in ziplocks as well.  It makes life just that little bit easier.

Way to go Catherine! :dance: I bet you will buy more. I know I will :dance:

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

I just organized some of my stuff yesterday and realized putting left over mohair and etc in zip lock plastics does make it organized. I put them all inside this box than label it as u guys have suggested bear_grin gosh, it look pretty neat! I just wish i can get my hands on those kmart boxes..  bear_cry And i like those containers where u can place your washer, t-pin and disk.. they look so organized...

Im starting to make minibears, so i separate my tool box from the regular ones. I even have a bag made to the size of the tool box! hehhehe... bear_whistle

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

I used to keep it all nicely folded in a barrister bookcase, but then over the years I amassed so much mohair that I had to move it to tubs...many tubs.  They fill a closet.

Board footer