Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Spiracy Hvalsø

Hello everyone  bear_original

I am quite new in here, only been lurking around to see all of you guys great talents and see if I could find some tips. I am new to this with teddy bears as well, but I believe I am well on my way.
Right now I am basically ready to start sewing my first one which is middle sized, 27 cm when standing. I bought a kit with a really great guide, and so far everything is just working smoothly.

I am curious of one thing though which isn't described in the guide I am following, and which I haven't been able to find concrete answers on (please redirect me if there is a thread on this already, and accept my apologies). What kind of needle should I use for the general sewing of the bear and what size? If it's about the fabric then the one I am working on right now is being done in mohair with 20 mm. long, thick, curly hair with a swirly tendency.

In advance,

Thanks  bear_original

- Charlotte Aakerman

bearsofbath Bears Of Bath
Bath, UK
Website

Hi Charlotte, welcome to the forum.  I'm not an expert on this sort of thing but personnally I prefer to work with a small embroidery needle (approx 1") to do my sewing, as all my bears are hand-sewn.  I have never worked with 20mm mohair, but have used long synthetic fabrics and have worked quite happily in this way.  I think it's what you feel most comfortable with. bear_original You might find the needle difficult to find amongst all that fur though! I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice on this subject.  Good luck with your bear, can you post a picture when you've finished ? I'd love to see it. bear_original

Kilde Posts: 186

Hi Charlotte  bear_original

Welcome to TT from another Dane  bear_flower

When I handstitch bears I use embroidery needles same as Carol. They are very pointy and goes smoothly through both mohair and synthetics. You find them in quilting- and patchwork shops. When I use my sewing machine, I use ordinary needles.

Good luck with your bear, we would love to see pics when you are finished   bear_original

Spiracy Hvalsø

Thank you so much bear_original I will go get one today right after school, and of course I will upload a picture of him when he is done  bear_grin I believe he will become very fluffy.  bear_tongue

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Hello Charlotte,
A big welcome to Teddy Talk.  The girls have given you good advice above.  Really looking forward to seeing your first bear.  Come back and chat again won't you.

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

bear_grin actually 1" high needle i find it too small for me.. i think bec my fingers are pretty fat bear_tongue i usually get the 1.5" needle for quilting or pathwork like what others are saying.. thin needles lessen the chance of enlarging the holes so that when u stuff your bear, some of the cotton will not be visible..

when i first started, i use too thick needles and good thing my teacher corrected me.. hope to see your work soon bear_grin

Board footer