Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Ok girls, help me out here, please.

I'd like to order a few pieces of mohair from Intercal. I've ordered from them exactly twice in the 5 years I've been making bears (1 small piece each time) so I really have no idea what's what. I'm a "Schulte Snob" as Dilu would say, and know Edinburgh's inventory like the back of my hand and have lots of favs. But it's time to branch out and try some new stuff!

Intercal's website is loaded with pictures of completed bears which is very helpful but I'm still just not sure what to get. (Overwhelmed a bit here!) I'm having a hard time navagating the site too. It's just me, I'm sure!

I'd love to try something wild and fun and colorful. I'd also like to try something good for antique looking bears. Then I'd also like to try a good soft dense mohair for a traditional bear. Most of my bears are 10 - 15 inches tall.

Tell me what your favoirtes are by quality/color so I can find them on Intercal's site. Your suggestions will be most helpful in getting me started.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Daphne

PS. I've read the post about getting samples but by the time a week goes by to get the samples and then I sit around hemming and haaing some and then place my order and then wait for it to come... well, my show season will be over! I'm Miss Impatient!  :redface:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

What a great question. I can't wait to hear the answers and I'm also trying to order from them today. NEED MORE MOHAIR!! Not really, but hey.
My all time fav. of theirs, although i haven't tried everything is
http://www.intercaltg.com/colors/finish370SC.html
I think they also have that same type of fur only a longer pile. If I was at home, I'd take a picture of the bear I just made with it. Soo nice and soft, and pretty thick. Although I've never used Schultz. Not yet anyway.
Plus, you can get this stuff in tonnes of colors and I love that.

Can't wait for more replies.

Heather

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I have a lovely piece of Helmbold's 50S/TDI (http://www.intercaltg.com/catalog2/tipped.html) that I've been plucking up the courage to cut into...it's soooooo soft with a slight wave, and I just know it has the potential to make a great bear (fingers crossed!).

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

The kid mohairs have a soft, silky feel to them which I like, and Heather's choice - 370S/C - is also a very nice finish.  The 370 is 3/4" and 610S/C is 1 1/2" long.  The "C" stands for curly.  The "S" finish also comes in a straight fur.  There is always the lush alpaca blend.  It is really nice and dense. 
Don't know if this will help or not, Daphne, but if you go to Intercal Features (it's located at the top of this page across from the Intercal logo) you will get a complete list of fur qualities and colors.  Click on any of the numbers and it will take you to a sample of that fur.  Good luck.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

http://www.intercaltg.com/special/2.html
How about here ↑ list of 1/4 and 1/3 yard.
I'm Intercal Snob  bear_tongue  I have too many favorite  :doh: I hope you'll find yours !  :hug:

Marie

Deb Upstate New York

Too many to have a favorite.  I've purchased several of End Pieces and Bargain list to try. I ordered the samples, put them in photograph pockets, and then into a couple of large binders.

P.S.  Hey thanks SueAnn, hadn't ever clicked on that link before.  Very helpful.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I love the alpaca blends ...the very dense ones ...the colour choice is wonderful and they are fab to work with.

They scissor sculpt very well too..

Jenny

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I hear ya Daphne...but I was really happy with the KID9/H mohair that I bought and made "Phoebe" and "Chip" out of.  I have two more  pieces to work with and can't wait to get started.  I'm still mulling over which ones I want next.  The samples are great...so at least add them to your order.  And while you are at it throw in a few pieces for me....I didn't win the lottery last night...darn it  :D

:hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm starting to navigate Intercal's site better and I've found all sorts I want to try  now... most are ones all of you have mentioned! I feel more confident in ordering my faves now that I have your feedback! I'm going to try some textures and colors I can't get 'elsewhere'   ;).

Gina is sending me little samples of her favorites (Thank you!!!) and as we seem to have similar likes in mohair I can't wait to see what she sends!!  bear_laugh  A bear artist friend of mine who lives near by has let me borrow her Intercal samples tho' I think they are 100 years old!  bear_grin I'm not seeing many of these on their site! I will definitely order some!

Ya know, I used to want to design quilt fabric. Now I think I'd like to design mohair finishes/colors! Oh, what fun!!

Daphne

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I haven't tried them all (yet) , but my favorite so far is

http://www.intercaltg.com/colors/finish825K.html

I'm using this one in light gold for my Progeria Gala bear. It's very silky and most yummy!

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Whichever one I am using at the moment-  I'm easy!

bear_tongue

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

My fave is 370 s/c - of course it is now their pre-pak deal for the week. Arrgh! I have to buy it!!!!  :D
I also like the longer fur Quality 610S/C - I used color 388SD for Oliver.
I'm also partial to their tie-dyed fabrics, http://www.intercaltg.com/catalog2/tiedyes.html I've used the 370 S/CTY and the 785 H/TY. They are very lush!  bear_thumb

Board footer