Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Most of the fiber that is the Top put-up can be reclaimed this way, and I have plenty of those early buying mistakes in my stock. I'm not sure I'd call it rehydrating, as it never lost moisture in processing. The fibers always retain their ability to absorb and release moisture; that hollow core is one of its properties that make it wearable in hot humid weather as well as very dry hot and very cold environments. I'm certainly no authority and it may well be the correct term! I call it reclaiming the original properties of crimp\curl\wave.

Well Bobbie, I see your point about it not really being rehydrating...but it sure rehydrates me with all the steam in the air...which is a real blessing in NM... the wool sure "needles" differently after steaming!!!! Love it!!!

Daphne...so I take it you didn't find the FW06 as white as you need...

Hugs &

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Charlotte - I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't think I tried E's 'white' and I just got an order from them a week ago. I'll try to remember to order the FW06 with my next order! In fact I just added it to the list! Thanks!! Also - I was just looking at their wool.... have you tried FWB01?????

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I LV New Mexico!!! My folks were transfered out to Golden CO about 8 years before Dad retired. They usually drove back to visit us 6 of their 7 kids that were established here. I will always remember my Mom saying that by Nebraska she could literally feel her skin plumping up again!!! LOL
Yes, I do see on many of my fiber lists, discussions about keeping a spritzer of each spinner's favorite combination of ingredients ti spray on their fiber while drafting, to tame it down and control the static that builds up while spinning.

So just as flour should be weighed rather than measured in both environments and I should think that your fiber has released any ambient moisture from inside their centers, too!

We warmed up this week, mid 60s and 83% humidty. Yes, my hair has body and is waving nicely, but Don and I still have all of our oily complexions since teen years so I'm looking forward to being in the dry Phoenix area in 48 hours!!!

hggzzz, B

Adkins, Texas
Daphne wrote:

Charlotte - I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't think I tried E's 'white' and I just got an order from them a week ago. I'll try to remember to order the FW06 with my next order! In fact I just added it to the list! Thanks!! Also - I was just looking at their wool.... have you tried FWB01?????

whitewools.jpg

Awe Daphne, no worry! The above picture is FWB01 on the left  & FW06 on the right. They are both whiter than any of the others...FWB02 is what they are selling as core wool now, and that is definitely NOT white.
Hope this picture helps some.

Hugs &

Adkins, Texas

Bobbie,

Have fun in Phoenix...& stay safe.

Hugs &

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Charlotte... now, if you were to put a white cottonball on top of those two wools I'm guessing they'd be off white. I suppose you can't bleach wool which is why we can't get true white. I need to stop being so fussy! Thanks for the pictures! I'm going to order some of the FW06 if they have it.

Adkins, Texas

Daphne,
I didn't have cotton balls but had a box of sterile cotton...You are right, cotton is in the center. True,I think bleaching does something to the fibers of the wool. Maybe what Bobbie is waiting for will be better, but the FW06 is the best I have found so far.
whitewools2.jpg

Hugs &

suburban Chicago

Regular chlorine bleach will dissolve fibers! Don't try it..

Thart's why the Biopolishing uses oxygenation as part of their process.

Regular hydrogen isn't strong enough, but the 20% solution sold in beauty supply stores 'may' help. I've always meant to try it, as I have a license and I don't know if that's considred one of the 2 products not sold to off-the-street customes, like nail care, shampoo & the like are. Here, they don't sell permanents or bleach/tint products unless you can supply a Lic #.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I have my licence... I'll have to get some and try it... in my spare time..... next year maybe!  :crackup:

suzanne.artist Suzanne Urban Designs SG Studio
Connecticut
Website

I prefer fibers shorter in length as I don't like a hairy appearance on my creatures. I even shave their faces-with my husbands electric razor-he doesn't know this.

One of the doll artists in my local group has started to dye wool she's quite good at it, her name is Amy L. Rawson her email link is on our website. She worked on some colours for me for my bears and I was pleased: www.odact.org

Also, I purchase from New England Felting Supply-I love their wool: http://www.feltingsupply.com/

suzanne.artist Suzanne Urban Designs SG Studio
Connecticut
Website

P.S. and Bobbi I would be interested in your book too. Would you create a mailing list with my name on it then alert us when it's out?

Suzanne in CT

suburban Chicago

Thx, Suzanne, You're name is added to my list!

Yes, Amy D's name is familiar in NFing circles. She had some online classes  1 - 2 years ago.

B

Board footer