Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

JanetandBears Janet Ann Anderson and Bears
Breckenridge, CO
Website

Display-for-Library-full.jpgI signed up two years ago (there was that long of a waiting list) to do an educational display in my local library.... Evergreen, CO.  I decided to do a history of the teddy bear with emphasis on the present and the teddy bear artist movement to inform more people of the ARTIST TEDDY BEAR.  Since I am not a collector I used my bears in the display but put in a few others that I have to show some other styles.  Also, to included an antique style bear I dug in my mohair stash, used a pattern by Kathy Wallace that was in Teddy Bear and Friends (2002) and made one.  Since it is a library I included lots of books that I have and also purchased a few on history of the teddy bear. The library also wanted lots of text so I typed up and placed many cards in with the display describing the history and what the teddy bear is all about.

A highlight of doing this project was talking to my neighbor and found she had an old bear that has been with her since early childhood and has always kept on her bed to this day.  My neighbor writes poetry and is 75 years old so I asked her if I could use her bear in my display and if she would write a poem about her feelings for her bear. 

The display will be in the library for a month .. Dec. 1 - 31.  Since it is during Christmas they wanted me to include bears and Christmas in my theme.  While setting up yesterday many people were enjoying looking so since I was present I could talk about it and answer some questions.  One man stood there later for maybe 20 minutes and read everything!

I took lots of photos but due to the glass on the display case I got lots of glare.  But I will include some so you all can see and my contribution to promoting our industry. 

Photo 1       Overview of the whole case

Breckenridge, CO
Website

Display-for-Library-Helen-s.jpgDisplay-for-Library-leftsid.jpgDisplay-for-Library-27small.jpgphoto 2   Library case

photo 3  left side   book is open to a page telling about how early bears resembled "real" bears
                           on the end is bear by artist Kelly Dauterman

photo 4  neighbors old bear and poem

Breckenridge, CO
Website

Display-for-Library-beartre.jpgDisplay-for-Library-40-post.jpgphoto 5 upper center with poster about History of Teddy Bear (I inclueded The Hotel Colorado's claim on being the birthplace of the teddy bear)

photo 6 Teddy Bear Christmas tree (with my 4 and 5 inch bears)

Breckenridge, CO
Website

Display-for-Library-lower-r.jpgDisplay-for-Library-rightsi.jpgDisplay-for-Library-21parti.jpgphoto 7   partial  right side

photo 8  right side    top shelf has a Steiff bear 1909 replica and text about Steiff
                              also a 1907 American made bear replica bear (made by artist Sharon
                                                                                                                      Queen)

photo 9  lower right side   middle shelf included books with stories about bears and also stories about people and their bears and what they have meant to them

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Janet, that's a simply beautiful, thoughtful, interesting and INFORMATIVE display!! Thank you for all of your TB work!!

Bobbie

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

Wow Janet!!! What a wonderful display, and a great contribution to the promotion of the teddy bear!! Well done!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Janet - You have done an amazing job! What a fantastic tribute to the teddy bear..... past and present! Lots of information and a wonderful assortment of books and bears to look at! And what a lot of work this must have been to prepare! WOW!!! This is a perfect month for such a display... I bet more people will go out and adopt bears for Christmas gifts after seeing this!

Absolutely fantastic! Thank you for doing this for Teddy and thank you for sharing it with us!!

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Janet,
     Simply an amazing display of wonderful bears and a wealth of information on the art and collecting of teddies.  It's really beautiful and you should be incredibly pleased with yourself.  Daphne's right - you couldn't have picked a better month!  I'm sure that it will be a VERY popular display!  It would be interesting to leave a book so people could leave their comments about the display.  I'd love to read some of them.
                                                        hugs,

Brenda

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Janet this is an amazing display!  If I can find the time (and good weather) I will drive up and have a look at it!  Thanks for including my bear!

*Hugs* Kelly

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Janet, your display is amazing. 
When I first saw your post my initual reaction was WOW.
Now that I have seen all the pics it's WOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Absolutely stunning, informative, attractive display, Janet!!  I double salute you for your talent and expertise in putting it all together.  I can't think of a more credible and interesting way of introducing the public to our beloved industry.  Kudos and bravo to you!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Janet you ROCK!!  What a fabulous & informative display you've created!! :clap:  :clap: I wish I could see it up close and in person!   You've totally inspired me to put on my thinking cap for local displays. 
:hug:  :hug:
~Chrissi

gbrame the piece parade
North Carolina

What an awesome display, Janet!!!!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: :clap: 

I think you have done a wonderful job and I am certain that anyone who sees it cannot help but stop and linger a little bit to look at everything.  I know you put a lot of time and effort into this display and it shows!

Thanks so much for putting it together and taking photos for all of us to see!

Merry Christmas!

~ginger

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Janet: This is the very best, of the best promotional ideas for teddies, I have seen in a very long time.

Everyone can see you have put a great deal of thought and effort into this display...it's absolutely superb. This is a great example of your dedication to teddy bears :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

You win my

TEDDY BEAR AMBASSADOR

award for 2007!

EDIT: I just love your teddy bear Christmas tree.

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Janet,

AMAZING  ... What a teriffic display !!!   You have put a lot of time, effort and talent into this one.  I especially like the bear Christmas tree ...how cute!!!       No way would I have thought of all the different aspects you have displayed.   Thank you for helping others to see the world of the teddy bear.

Hugs,

Wanda

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Wow! Janet what a wonderful display promoting the Teddy Bear.
I love what you have done and I think the Teddy bear tree is brillant bear_thumb

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Well done Janet, what an awesome display. I wish I could visit the library and have a really good look and read of what must have taken you ages to put together. Congratulations on a very well done dispay and thank you so much for advertising the world of artist bears for us all.
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Teddy hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

You have done a lovely display Janet and I love the tree with your bears on it bear_thumb
Laurie :hug:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Janet that was a WONDERFUL idea!!!  You did a simply beautiful job with your display too - AWESOME!!!!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA
bearlysane wrote:

You win my

[color=darkred]TEDDY BEAR AMBASSADOR

award for 2007!

I second that nomination, you did a great Job and what a great way to get the word and your works out there.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

What a super display! I can't imagine people passing it without taking time to look at every single aspect of it. You've put so much in there to see. It's wonderful. You've done an excellent job of showing your collection.

I love the Christmas tree...did you make all those little bears? And I love the little bears you have dressed for winter and Christmas by the tree. You obviously spent a gread deal of time thinking about your presentation and it shows.

The library should call the local newspaper and t.v. station for a bit about this display. I bet it would bring even more people in to the library. And what parent could resist taking a child to see all the bears.

Thank you for sharing all the pictures, too.

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Wow Janet, you have done such a terrific job with your display.  All us teddy artists owe you a big vote of thanks for helping to promote our precious teddies and their history.  It all looks so interesting that I don't think anyone could walk past it without stopping to look.  I just wish I could see it in person.  I agree, Teddy Ambassador for 2007 should go to Janet for all this hard work and dedication to the Teddy Bear.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

:clap:  :clap:  :clap: Janet, what a great job in putting all that information together, it must have taken a long time.  I wish I could be there in person and read all the info.  That sure is wonderful and thanx for sharing all the pictures with us. Which bear was from the lady that did the poem with it?  I will go back and look again.
great great work, you are terrific. bear_wub

Breckenridge, CO
Website

Christmas-2007-librarycrew2.jpgChristmas-2007-me-library.jpgThe library display was up for one month and taken out.  It was a success in that the library got many wonderful comments on the display and it was written up in the local paper so many people went to see it.  They want me to do another in the future and I signed up.  There is a two year waiting list but I asked to be notified if there is a cancellation and I am the first pick if that comes up.  I will do another theme such as Teddy Bears and Literature or something else.  Any suggestions?   

Here are photos of the take out crew.  One of myself  and the second of my three sons who were here for Christmas and very handy for packing up everything and doing all the carrying.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Janet what a fantastic display of Teddy Bears I can understand why they would want you to do another one. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: Great photo's of the display and of you and your crew, I hope you all had a lovely Christmas.

Board footer