Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi everyone bear_flower
Following along the same lines as other topic questions on presents, I thought it could be funny to find out
what the worst present was that you have been given at Christmas, or maybe something that was a completely useless present!!!

Thinking caps on!

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

The flu.  bear_sad   Someone has given it to me two times over.  It was one of those secret Santa gifts.  I wish I knew who it was.....I'd bean 'em a good one!
bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

The first Christmas we were married my husband gave me a diet and exercise book.  Ah, feel the love... bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

HMmm erm

It wasn't really a bad present as I love cats but I was at school and living with mum and dad and we had a stack of cats already and a friend kept hinting that she was giving me one and I was really quite blunt and told her I couldn't have another cat.
It didn't work she gave me the kitten at school and the poor thing was carried around all day in a bag.  (I made sure it had food and water)
Mum was so cranky BUT I ended up taking it across the road to an old dear who shared one of our cats (long story there) and she became convinced he was the father (impossible like all our cats he was neutered) and took her in.   She couldn't have led a better life.

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

A plug-in room freshener.  And it smelled really bad too!

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Nothing...

Hugs &

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

An algebra text book - I'll admit I was a uni doing a Bachelor of Business but really.........!!! I hate maths!!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Soap, wash cloth and bath towel...this gift made me so worried that I was a bit smelly that I went and took a long shower.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin my husband told me he always liked to give nice useful gifts...bless his heart...he gives me a large tin of chocolates every birthday and christmas and he and the boys eat them...men and their gifts.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

a tri pillow, pillow case..............i dont own a tri pillow(or whatever those boomarang shaped pillows are called bear_grin )

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi, bear_flower

My brain is going!  I posed the question, but forgot to mention my worst prezzie!

It was a hat bear_sad     ........ but not any old kind of  old hat      .......   no,    ......  this was a balaclava!!!!!!!!    ...........   and, to add insult to injury,   ...........  it was BRIGHT GREEN !!!!!!!!!! bear_wacko  bear_angry  bear_cry  bear_wacko

Did they think I was going to break into a pea processing factory!!!!!!   Aaarrrggghhhhhhhhh!  You could only see my eyes!!!!!!!!

(maybe that was a good thing!!!) bear_smile

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Oh where to begin...my mother and my mother in law both have terrible taste and don't seem to know me at all!  :crackup:

But the worst present I ever got actually was a birthday present.  I was using screws and lock nuts to joint the bears at the time, and I have carpal tunnel syndrome so my husband in his Tim Taylor-esque wisdom thought that a cordless screwdriver would be a good present instead of the sapphire ring I had been BLATANTLY hinting for.  When I first opened the box I couldn't even figure out why he gave me the thing, but after he explained I thought well ok his heart was in the right place...kinda.  Until I used it the first time...it grabbed the mohair on the bear and wound it around the thing so tight...it was so awful.  :doh:  So I gave it back to him and he was thrilled with it!  Come to think of it...over the years I haven't given a lot of presents back to him...hmm.......

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

Why worst Xmas present was ......

An OAK TOILET seat...

From my brother-in- law.

He new we were remodelling the bathroom and noticed we needed a new one.

I'd only be married for 2 years at the time,   Still laugh about it 22 years later.

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

hmmm.the year my mother gave me 3 of those glasses you used to get when you bought gas..and two USED candles rolled in tinfoil. not a money issue by the way..thats just the way she is! the year i was going thru a divorce (i was 39) and just bummed about my life ..she gave me a tin of catfood and a birthday cake topper with an old man in a hammock..???? NOW its funny..not so much then!  deb :crackup:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

OMGollygoodness    these are hysterical.

my first mom in law openly stated she didn't like me from the day she first saw me, before I even shook her hand and said hello. So she always did the opposite of anything i said.  If she asked what I wanted and I said a sweater she would get me an electric can opener, if sha asked what I didn't want and I said electric can opening that's is what she would get. 
so I learned to disparage the very thing I wanted and sure enough thats what i would get!

the woman hated me... bear_wacko 

She told me when we were married that every bride in their ward got home made quilts from the relief society and what color would I like.  well it was  a muslin quilt, for you sewers, truly muslin, course, rough, beige, muslin.  I pretended to love it, until I discovered that the Relief  Societies of this particular church are indeed all experts in the home arts and this was done on purpose . bear_ermm 

HMMMM

now being an avid sewer i decided to take it apart, use the muslin for things I use it for, and save the batting and make myself a real quilt- reusing her batting....and since it was tied and not quilted it was easy enough to do.

as far as i was concerned, 2 weeks in...the gloves were off.....but this would take some careful living and plotting and planning

Once I deplored the really nice 100 % cotton percale 400 count sheets.....I still have them today and think they are wonderful.  boy they have held up beautifully

another year I told her about a really horrid coat at ZCMI and that the worst color- and I loved that coat for about 11 years!

The moral, if you find out your mom in law hates you before you even say hello you are in for a rocky road and chances are truly really absolutely good that it wont work and you might save yourself some grief by bailing before the wedding takes place. bear_tongue 

I thank her though-as she turned me into a meditating, contentment seeking/accepting, Zen practicing, Christian who tries to live a totaly different life than any of her mothers-

because life is to short to hate, and bad energy just comes back atcha 10 fold...

And almost any bad situation can be made to look funny if you let it....and that can be a sanitysaver :crackup: 

And there is almost always an interesting answer to the most difficult puzzles.

gollyhugs
dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Unbeknownst to me, my classmates gave me chickenpox when I was a 14 year old freshman in high school, and I broke out in spots right before Christmas.  I looked so awful I hid inside over the entire Christmas break.  So not fun; it was supposed to be social time (no homework) for me!

One other notable gift stands out as particularly random.  My ex MIL and FIL, who often jump on trendy, health-related bandwagons, gave me and their son (my first husband) a box stuffed with a variety of colloidal vitamins for Christmas.  We had never expressed any interest in such a thing ever in our entire lives and when we opened their gift, we actually had no idea what on earth they had given us.  I guess they just wanted to share the health!

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

I once received one of those oversized T-shirts that shows (front and back, life-sized) a curvaceous woman's body wearing a bikini!

Mindy

chris009av Real Deal Bears

I could make a great list on this subject. for birthday and christmas , Hubby has bought me a grass trimmer, electric saw, jig saw, you name it . 
At first I didn't know where he was coming from, but now this christmas i have bought him an air brush and compressor  bear_grin 
His last birthday I bought him mohair and suplies, and now we live in harmony and swap our pressies bear_grin

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

A glass fish, multi-coloured thing bought by me ex-mother-in-law. I dropped it accidentally on purpose. That was about 1976..and I have since these and apparently they are highly collectible... not, however, by me!!!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Oh this thread is getting better and better!  :crackup:

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

One year I spent so much time at the dentist with so many problems with my teeth that hubby thought he would be kind and considerate and bought me an electric toothbrush.I wouldn't like to say in public what I told him to do with it bear_grin
Nowadays I just tell him EXACTLY what I want so there are no surprises and at least I like what I have chosen  bear_laugh
Laurie :hug:

lulubears Posts: 280

Every year my husband's family has a dinner and gift exchange.  This year's dinner was on Saturday and I was working at an art show selling my bears and missed it.  My husband brought home the "gift" that his stepmother sent home for me.  To my surprise, it was a catalog from a general store.  (It is last year's catalog and the mailing label indicates it was sent to my father-in-law.)  Hmmm, I'm actually glad I didn't make it to the dinner, because I don't know what I would have said when I opened it because I was completely stumped.  She did include a letter opener as well that we finally figured out was not actually a butter knife.  Weird, but pretty typical.

Luann

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: OMG!  I'm laughing so hard at all these posts that I can hardly think what my own 'bad' present was! 

Here's one that always comes to mind.  It was a gaudy, bright purple kleenex box cover made from plastic canvas that my great aunt gave one year.  The gift itself wasn't bad, even though it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen (still is I think).  My aunt's heart was in the right place after all!  The problem was that my grandmother would look for it every time she came to my house, so I had to put it out and use it. bear_shocked   She finally forgot about it a few years later..........

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

I forgot about the potato-shaped planter I got from an aunt one year.  My sisters and I laughed about it for years and called it "Spud Bird."  I left it behind at my mom's house when I moved away.  Sadly, my sisters and I went looking for Spud Bird one day to bring out and reminisce (Is that how you spell that?) and realized that my one sister who is very anally organized sold it at a garage sale for 25c.  Poor Spud Bird.  He brought us a lot of laughs!

Sammybeardog Hobart Bears
Ferndale, Michigan

It wasn't an awful gift, but my husband would always shop on christmas eve day for me.  He didn't have to do any of the other shopping for family or friends and it was just "his way" to go then.  It was like his tradition.  He hates to shop, and why he would do this I'll never know.  Well this one year he was so sick he couldn't get out of bed.  Just death warmed over.  He gets up to go shopping for me, I told him he was crazy but he was worried he didn't have anything for me and I would be hurt (well probably MAD at him cuz he waited till the last minute!!) So off he goes, and he's back in 45 minutes, I'm thinking he was just to sick to shop, but no, he got his shopping done.  He got me the exact same gold chain and heart pendant he got me the previous year.  The same gift two years in a row.  It was nice but I sure didn't need 2 of them.  He took one of the chains for himself since I had 2.  Go figure!

Karen

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I got a luggage set when I turned 9. I thought it was a hint.   bear_whistle

Board footer