Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

The teddy bear I made my grandmother. Seriously.... she's still alive but has decided that while she is she's going to give everyone back whatever they gave her. I gave her that bear to keep her company since grandpa died and now that she's in a home I thought she'd really like having it.... I don't want it back. It's PINK for heaven's sake. I don't like pink.... I made it especially for her, just a couple of years ago too. I somehow feel insulted and hurt. The woman is 92, still has all her brains in tact and is as healthy as they come. But how tacky to give it to me as Christmas Present this year!!!!!! Sorry Grammie, I love you but......
bear_sad

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hmm it's a toss up between the flood this year - which caused me to have a flood of these  bear_cry  bear_cry  and means that the really cool handmade journals, cardkeepers and calendars I'd planned for gifts are not even started and won't happen OR the year I was 16 and got gastroenteritis 2 days before Christmas and I sat at the table with my marmite on toast while everyone had Christmas dinner including my favourite "we only eat it at Christmas " snowy pudding.

I really don't remember any truly disastrous gifts....not yet anyway!

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

My worst present was given to me by my ex-husband (note the ex!).  It was a set of metal pots and pans.  When he could see how "pleased" I was, he said that they weren't what he had taken to be wrapped, and the wrappers must have mixed up the parcels - Yeah, not likely!

My present husband and I just go out together and choose something each - works much better.  Besides we are at the age where there isn't really much that we need.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

A car.  No really!  It was the worst and best present, all rolled into one totally nightmarish Christmas.  My ex husband bought it for me the Christmas we split up after twenty years together (not a single car gift came my way throughout all those years I might add ...!)  It was meant to help me to learn to drive because I was about to become very independent ...  bear_cry On the plus side, once I'd come to terms with the gift, there was no holding me back!! bear_thumb

angelbear216 Posts: 9

My worst present was back in high school my boyfriend of 2 years gave me a bunch of tube socks.  They were wrapped but not even in their original plastic package just folded.  I think their were 6 pairs of men's tube socks.  He said it was because he knew my feet get cold alot.  But that was my only gift that year from him!!    bear_tongue

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Ooooooh, I have a gooder.. heehee. This one was a gift that was for me and my Mom, from my Grandmother on my Dads side....She sent this to us..  in the gift bag was.. a Moo moo (like a nightgown/house dress) that was A. used (aka see through it was so worn out) B. My whole family could have fit into it.. lol... and still had room for more. ... in the same gifting package were 2 of her used old wigs.. and to top it off used underpants... um... aahhhh!!!. heehee. I have no idea why on earth she would give them to us.. she is not senile and has money... I think she does it to try to get a rise out of my Mom... I of course, to lighten the mood of decided to put on the moo moo over my clothes and one of the wigs and parade around the house...  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Bear Hugs!
Melanie

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website
angelbear216 wrote:

My worst present was back in high school my boyfriend of 2 years gave me a bunch of tube socks.

LOL! That reminds me of another bad gift. A boyfriend in college gave me an xacto knife with a swivel blade. I should have stabbed him with it.

j/k  bear_tongue

Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website
MKinsey/TBF wrote:

I once received one of those oversized T-shirts that shows (front and back, life-sized) a curvaceous woman's body wearing a bikini!

Mindy

lol, Brad has one of those!... I keep trying to toss it but he said it was a gift! lol lol.  Whhhyyyy ooooh why?? heehee.

Hugs!
Melanie

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

These are great!!!
The worst Christmas gift I ever got was a broom to sweep the floor - not even electric, just a plain old broom! Our kids were just little at the time so my husband bought me the broom, emerald ear rings, and a gold chain and then let the kids pick which things they wanted to give me, feeling sure one of them would pick the broom. Well, they weren't STUPID kids so of course they picked the jewelry, leaving the broom for my husband's gift! Now it happened that we were going to visit friends a day's drive away over Christmas that year so we left some of the bigger presents at home to open after we got back, including his present for me. Of course he had me expecting something fabulous and big waiting for me back home so you can imagine my disappointment when I finally opened it! The reason he had gotten me the broom in the first place was that I had gotten mad at him for taking my good broom downstairs and sweeping the cement basement floor with it and wearing off the bristles - so he thought I'd be delighted that he was so thoughtful to buy me a new one!  bear_wacko
I should have known how he thinks after he gave me a toilet bowl brush for my birthday the first year we were married! Again I had remarked after moving into our new apartment that we needed to pick up a toilet bowl brush and of course kept forgetting every time we were out shopping so he thought he was just brilliant to give me something I really needed and couldn't understand why I was so crushed! I have to say though that I have likely gotten more enjoyment out of telling that story over the years (38) than from any other present I have gotten!  :crackup:
Good thing I started collecting dolls and bears - that made it SO much easier for him to know what to buy me that would make me happy!!!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

These are sooo funny!! Melanie I think you win though---used underwear???!!!! :crackup:

I was going to be like Charlotte and say I have never gotten a really bad gift, but Paula's post reminded me. 

The worst Christmas gift I ever got was a car stereo, given to me by a guy I'd been dating all through college and the year after. He gave it to me at a party I was throwing and I cried when I read the attached card which read, "You will always hold a special place in my heart."  (What about a special place in your life, I wondered?)He ignored me most of the party, and I told friends that I knew we were going to break up, but they all said that couldn't be so because he'd just given me a car stereo after all. But I knew it was a sort of consolation prize, and he broke up with me the next morning!
Three months later he came to his senses, and we have been having lovely Christmases together ever since! Yes, I'm talking about my wonderful husband!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

This just in!!!
The gift I got today:

A water buffalo.................

A water buffalo...................

sounds like the strangest thing to give someone who lives in the mountains, does it not??

A water buffalo!!!

OK... the whole story: I just got a card from my aunt and uncle and in my honor they donated money to Heifer Int'l which will in turn buy a water buffalo that will help a struggling family in a poverish country become self-reliant for food and income.

To be honest, with all the material things we buy as gifts at Christmas that will just sit in someone's closet.... this is a nice way to actually put that money to good use. I'm pleased to have a buffalo given in my honor to a needy family.

But ya still gotta imagine the humor in getting a little note that says "In your honor we bought a water buffalo!"

Milford Ohio
Daphne wrote:

This just in!!!
The gift I got today:

A water buffalo.................

A water buffalo...................

sounds like the strangest thing to give someone who lives in the mountains, does it not??

A water buffalo!!!

OK... the whole story: I just got a card from my aunt and uncle and in my honor they donated money to Heifer Int'l which will in turn buy a water buffalo that will help a struggling family in a poverish country become self-reliant for food and income.

To be honest, with all the material things we buy as gifts at Christmas that will just sit in someone's closet.... this is a nice way to actually put that money to good use. I'm pleased to have a buffalo given in my honor to a needy family.

But ya still gotta imagine the humor in getting a little note that says "In your honor we bought a water buffalo!"

Ha, Ha!! Daphne, here is a song for you from a program my kids used to watch when they were little...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG2gzBKqnWI

Enjoy!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

nimbleknot wrote:

A boyfriend in college gave me an xacto knife with a swivel blade. I should have stabbed him with it.

Bwahahahaha!   :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:   Jennifer, you slay me.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I suppose i had better own up to my gift misdemeanours...
I have never had a bad gift given to me because everyone knows i would kill them, slowly and with an audience.
:redface:  I almost have no shame when it comes to telling family what i want - they ask, so i tell 'em and heaven help 'em if they don't take my advice...............it's what families are for.
:twisted:
However, and here's the awful truth, i am more than happy to buy a gift for someone who has been a pain in the arse all year with revenge in mind........think a beautiful expensive (i'm not a tightwad just evil) dress that i knew the person really really wanted but oh dear, it was a size too small - i spent many a happy hour knowing that it would have to returned to the shop for an exchange for a larger size (the worse case scenario for any woman worth her salt) or a full refund (as i said, i'm not a tightwad and am more than happy that they should spend the money on something else they liked once i had humiliated them).
bear_whistle
Obviously i have not inherited any kindly genes from my parents but the wicked sense of humour has been passed on.
Forgive me girls, i am a worm but it's great to confess at last (and you all thought i was nice).
Penny
:P
P.S. But believe me she deserved it

Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website
Daphne wrote:

This just in!!!

Lol, that is hilarious! heehee

Hugs!
Melanie

Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website
Tami E wrote:

These are sooo funny!! Melanie I think you win though---used underwear???!!!! :crackup:

The worst Christmas gift I ever got was a car stereo, given to me by a guy I'd been dating all through college and the year after. He gave it to me at a party I was throwing and I cried when I read the attached card which read, "You will always hold a special place in my heart."  (What about a special place in your life, I wondered?)He ignored me most of the party, and I told friends that I knew we were going to break up, but they all said that couldn't be so because he'd just given me a car stereo after all. But I knew it was a sort of consolation prize, and he broke up with me the next morning!
Three months later he came to his senses, and we have been having lovely Christmases together ever since! Yes, I'm talking about my wonderful husband!!!

Glad he came to his senses.. I would have liked the car stereo though.. lol. Brad bought me one for my birthday and I was so happy.... Might not have been so good if he had dumped me the next day though.!! Bah! That is horrible. Boys can be so stupid sometimes. bear_original  bear_whistle  bear_wacko

Yeah, and used underwear.. that was HUGE.. like I don't know where she got these from.. I think her neighbour had died that year.. nothing like picking through someones things to give as gifts! lol  bear_wacko

Bear Hugs!
Melanie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Tami... thanks for that song... can't get it out of my head now!!! LOL!
I'd rather have the baby kangaroo he starts to sing about!

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Okay the first year we were married my husband got me a Deep water fishing pole, like for deep sea or deep lake fishing. We lived in the Mountains in Idaho ( long way from any deep water) The next year after giving birth just 3 months before christmas, he gives me a jigging pole by now we are living in the desert of southern Nevada. The next year after giving birth yet again just the month before christmas he gave me an Iron, a vacuum and you guessed it a new fishing pole ( by the way at this point we now live about 10 miles from Death Valley. No Water to be found!!) I got so mad and yelled really bad at him and told him he was the worst gift giver on the planet. Is this what you think of me, an Iron a Vacuum, and a fishing pole and we live in Death valley.  I told him to rethink his gift giving strategy and If he ever gave me anything that plugged in again I would shove it you know where!!!
After that his gifts rapidly improved. At one point though he wanted to buy me a new serger sewing machine and was afraid too. He made my daughter ask if that was something that might get shoved somewhere!!! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
Although it worked out, cause now he is the most thoughtful giver, always comes up with something really great specific to each person. :hug:

Oh I forgot that last year the nurse I work with gave me a half a jar of old jelly beans, she even had the nerve to deliver it to my house herself. ( reminds me of Penny)  I was going to get her a Chia pet  Cow my daughter wouldn't let me she said that was just evil, I prefer Penny's plan with the nice gift too small!!! :crackup:  bear_angry  :twisted:

Milford Ohio
Daphne wrote:

Tami... thanks for that song... can't get it out of my head now!!! LOL!
I'd rather have the baby kangaroo he starts to sing about!

Daphne, the song popped into my head as soon as I read your post!
I looked at the other silly song videos with my kids and we laughed and laughed. Seems they were so little when we watched them originally, the'd forgotten them.

Penny, you devious girl!!! That dress story is really funny!!!

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi everyone! bear_flower
I'm so pleased I posed this question as your replies have been a real hoot! :crackup:

Makes my bright green balaclava hat seem almost COOL, even though it made me look like a ninja turtle!!!! :redface:

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

ursidae Posts: 227
gotobedbears wrote:

I suppose i had better own up to my gift misdemeanours...
I have never had a bad gift given to me because everyone knows i would kill them, slowly and with an audience.
:redface:  I almost have no shame when it comes to telling family what i want - they ask, so i tell 'em and heaven help 'em if they don't take my advice...............it's what families are for.
:twisted:
However, and here's the awful truth, i am more than happy to buy a gift for someone who has been a pain in the arse all year with revenge in mind........think a beautiful expensive (i'm not a tightwad just evil) dress that i knew the person really really wanted but oh dear, it was a size too small - i spent many a happy hour knowing that it would have to returned to the shop for an exchange for a larger size (the worse case scenario for any woman worth her salt) or a full refund (as i said, i'm not a tightwad and am more than happy that they should spend the money on something else they liked once i had humiliated them).
bear_whistle
Obviously i have not inherited any kindly genes from my parents but the wicked sense of humour has been passed on.
Forgive me girls, i am a worm but it's great to confess at last (and you all thought i was nice).
Penny
:P
P.S. But believe me she deserved it

Penny, I love you!!  You are my hero bear_laugh  LOL  too funny!

ursidae Posts: 227

My worst gift....I have always been somewhat more fashion conscious than my family.  I like to look nice, trendy, hot bear_happy  So for some unknown/insane reason when I was in my mid-20's, my step mom bought me a granny housecoat and a high neck flannel nightie--just like hers :S  They were pink (hate pink) the nightie had scratchy lace and covered every minute inch of skin on my body.  The moo-moo style housecoat was velour (bleck) and zipped up the front.  Really sooooooo NOT me.....still kinda curious how she thought this would be the 'perfect' gift for G?  Maybe a hint.....she was 'takin' [INVALID] back' bear_happy

Board footer