Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

hi guys...

im just wondering how do you pluck the muzzle? it seems cleaner yet the techniques i learn so far is just trimming it so close to the fabric.. but it still leave super short furs which kind of irritates me bear_wacko .. but seeing rainebear whittaker muzzle, it looks so nice bear_happy . how u do that? is there a direction that u need to concern with?

thanks...

Kilde Posts: 186

Tweezers!  bear_grin You use tweezers and pluck the muzzle before you stitch the head parts together so that no fur gets caught in the seams. I made one with a plucked muzzle - I plucked it after I stitched the head parts and its almost impossible to remove all the fur from the seams once it is stitched together so its so much easier to do it before you sew it together...and it looks so much nicer.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I pluck the nose area before I stitch...I can't sew over stubble...but then I put a felt patch over anyway...belt and braces I guess. I use pointy pliers to pluck with...It find it can be quite firm to tug the pile out (rightly so)and tweezers are not strong enough.
I hav never done anything other than scissor sculpting on muzzles...though I do like the look of it I wouldn't do it ..I guess the furs I choose tend to be too dense for that.

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

tweezers! why didnt't i think of that?! so... now there is another use for tweezers aside from eyebrow plucking!  bear_tongue  thanks tina and jenny for both of your suggestions.. i might have to do that try on my next bear bec my head is sew.. i will see what work best for me..... thanks again

:hug:

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

last night i tried plucking the hair, and it wasnt easy... i couldn't find my tweezers, so i use instead the pliers instead... its really time consuming and the results are really neat...

I tried also the same technique on sewed faces and realize that its impossible to remove it. SO you guys are right, this need to be done before you stuff it... but i usually determine the overall look after placing the eyes and mouth... this is really going be a big problem for me.... sigh...  bear_sad

teeeej Brisbane

Plucking before hand is always easier. And no nasty bits hanging out fo the seams!! I like to turn the mohair over and carefully tease out some of the hair with my awl. This makes it easier to pull out. bear_thumb

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

Another suggestion if you like a smooth muzzle area  Try using a disposable razor on the area that you would like  smooth before you sew.  I usually trim most of the fur off first with my scissors and then 'shave' the remaining fur off in the selected area.

Have fun.

mingrul Our Blue Iguana
teeeej wrote:

carefully tease out some of the hair with my awl.

hmm... teasing the hair? this sounds funny when you think it in another way :crackup: sorry, I guess I have a different sense of humor bear_tongue

Now, i really appreciate the effort taken in having clean muzzles... its soooooo time consuming bear_sad ..

thanks for the added suggestion Lisa.... will try that as well...  bear_thumb

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Ming to add to Lisa's suggestion........I use a moustache trimmer on my seams before sewing. I have been doing this for a few years now and got the tip here on TT.
Wendy

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

Hi wendy.. actually we also trim the seams before hand sewing, but we use smaller scissors instead.. moustache trimmer is like those electric trimmer right? sorry... just making sure, maybe my understanding of terms might be different.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Ming it is tiny and is battery operated. Half the cutting head is just the right amount for the seam. I'll take a photo later tonight and show you.
spotya
Wendy

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

bear_grin that would be helpful wendy.. thanks...  :hug:

Board footer