Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

We had a wonderful start to Christmas day with lots of gifts, funny photos and all the jolly christmas usuals. My daughter Sarah was cooking dinner and what a dinner it was, so gorgeous, fit for a king. Sarah however had a headache and couldn't eat the wonderful dinner she had cooked. I kept falling asleep and also had a headache. My son David said he had felt unwell just before dinner but not too bad, my husband said he needed to get some sleep as he felt soooo tired. None of us dopey lot realized that we were being poisoned. We were all amazed to hear a very high pitched sound coming from what we thought, at first, the TV. The sound was actually our carbon monoxide alarm going off. We were all suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. We opened all the windows and doors and called out the emergency service people. The dogs were dressed in their coats and now thought they were going out for walks, the budgie's cage had blankets wrapped around it and we dressed up in coats etc. The problem was our gas cooker. It would seem the burner had not worked properly and had been sending poisonous gas into the house for hours. The only one not sick was my son Simon who had fallen asleep in the lounge so we shut the door and let him sleep. The cooker had been on for hours cooking a huge Turkey and all the time pumping poison into the air. Thank heavens that we had an alarm, who knows what could have happened.  bear_cry
We now have a fridge full of food, that was to be cooked for visitors, that we can't cook. The cooker was taped up and we're not able to use it. Today we either have to buy a new cooker of hopefully get this one fixed, that's if we can get a gas workman out. We are still feeling the effects of the gas today but hopefully it will soon pass.

This is one Christmas we won't forget.

Fuzzy, hugs, Jane.  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

What a dreadful story Jane, thank goodness you are all alright.  Next Christmas you will probably look back and laugh at the mess up this Christmas was.

puca bears puca bears

Ye gods, Jane - that's awful - thank goodness you are all alright!!!!!!!!!  Makes my blood run cold..........and NOTHING to do with the snow outside...............
big huggies
Maria :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

dusty attic dusty attic bears
somerset

OH MY GOD Jane, so glad that you and your family are ok.Sending you lots of HUGS. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: lots of hugs to you and your family......glad you are all recovering........

bettys bears Melbourne

:hug:  :hug:  Jane, how awful! Hope you all are recovering with no after effects. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Oh dear, That is awful but very lucky as well.  Glad you are still with us!

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Oh my gosh Jane!!!  That is so scary - thank god the carbon monoxide detector went off!  Hope you all are feeling better.  Biggest Hugs...

Lisa

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

This is my opportunity to encourage everyone to get a carbon monoxide detector.  They are inexpensive, and could save your life as Jane had discovered.  Five years ago my cousin, his wife and both of their children were found dead in their home from carbon monoxide poisoning.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Jane, that is awful news, hope you are all on the mend soon  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Thanks for the warning.

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

oh my goodness!!!  bear_shocked  Jane - I'm so glad you are all ok!!!  Thank goodness you have an alarm!!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh Jane!!!!  Thank GOD for those CO alarms!!!!!!!   :hug:  bear_wub  :hug:  bear_wub

Kim Basta

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

YIKES Jane, I am so glad you had an alarm and are all ok, I hope you all feel better soon  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Catherine xx

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

Thank goodness for the alarm! I think I'll go get one TODAY!

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

:pray:  bear_wub What a tragedy this could have been without the alarm.  I am so glad that you had that alarm, I have one also.  You read every day about this happening to people and I am overjoyed that you are here to tell about it.  Let this be a warning to all to get one of these inexspensive alarms, it does save lives.
I am so happy you and your family are all okay Jane, God was looking out for you.
Happy Holidays!!

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Jane,

What an awful thing to have happened. I am so glad that you had an alarm to alert you and that you and all of your family are alright. I hope you are feeling better.

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Hugs,

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Oh my goodness Jane....how scary! I was thinking of you on Christmas day..having a lovely time with all your family...
its certainly a lesson to us all to keep alarms in our homes! I hope you all soon feel a lot better... bear_wub

Take care..
Big hugs Yvonne   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Oh my gosh Jane !!  That is so very scary.  What a huge blessing that your alarm sounded to warn you.  I hope you are all feeling better now.   :hug:

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh Jane, that is awful, glad everyone is ok!  :hug:
Yes I'm sure you will all remember this xmas for sure!

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Really...when you think of what could have happened bear_shocked  bear_shocked I just got the chills!! Jane, I'm so happy that you & your family are OK! Carbon Monoxide alarms are a simple, inexpensive  but life saving thing - I'd encourage everyone to run out to their hardware store TODAY.
Hug your family close today,
Cheryl bear_flower

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Some day,darling Jane, this will be a funny story.  I thank God that you and yours, right down to the budgie, are all ok and given that CO can kill I think the food is sooooo secondary. 

Life is beautiful and we aren't ready for you to leave us yet, dear heart, so take care, and buy a new cooker, if you can.  And toast the fact that you are here to celebrate another birthday and make a new bear.  What a blessing!
Super gollyhugs

:hug:  :hug:  :hug: dilu  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Zada Creations Zada Creations
Washington

Jane,
Oh My!!!  I'm so glad you and your family are going to be ok!!! :hug:  Wow, I'm going to check my alarm and make sure it is in working order.....  Take care and big hugs to you and your family!!  :hug:  :hug:
~Patricia

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I am SO GRATEFUL that this experience wasn't more serious, Jane.  Thank goodness for the alarm and that it went off before you and your family got too sick to respond.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

That is crazy scary! Thank God you are all okay. :pray:  :pray:  :pray:

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

thats what i call a Christmas miracle!  Thank heavens no one was hurt!  Glad to hear your story had a happy ending!  :hug:  :hug:  deb

Board footer