Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

just wondered if anyone had any tips about over dying mohair..i have some odd colors muted that id like to make more vintage looking..how do you decide what colors to try? id coffee or tea better ? or do you do a real like brown dye? any help at all would be terrific!  thanks deb

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My opinion about coffee is that it leaves a stale coffee odor that is really slow to go away.  I've overdyed with tea and Rit's tan color.  Both give good results, but think I prefer the tea . . . it just seems to look more vintage-y.  Someone else may have more suggestions - good luck.

Fairfax,Vermont

Sue Ann Thank you for the reply! i have some time off this week so i may try something a bit out of my element!  hugs deb

Sammybeardog Hobart Bears
Ferndale, Michigan

I have tried Kool-aid.  It works good on a white or really light color.  Need a lot of packets.  It only really colors the mohair not the backing.  I have read somewhere that tea has acids in it that can weaken the fabric.  I'm sure you can find more detailed info with a google search.

Karen

Fairfax,Vermont

thanks Karen! i ha dheard that about tea also..Sandi Rexford sent me a link to the rit dye site that talks about overdying and what colors cover what..the cool aid i was advised could attract insects maybe in the future? i have seen some awesome antique looking bears and love the over dyed look!  deb

Board footer