Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I have never made a mini bear before so what size do you class as a miniature.I am going to try and do one for Ellen and Amandas challenge and hope that I can make one small enough as the smallest bear that I have made is 7 inches.The smokey long pile fabrics etc at Sassys look lovely and most come in a 9x9 inch square so what size bear can you get out of this piece of material and what is the biggest bear that you make with these materials.I can't wait to order from Sassys and spent the evening on the site deciding what to buy :dance:
Thank you for your help.
Laurie :hug:

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Hi Laurie

I get two bears out of one piece of Sassy´s 9 X 9
They are about 3 inch.
Hope this helps.
:hug:

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Two bears from 9x9 Tina bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked
It seems such a small piece of material to even make one bear.
Thanks Tina bear_flower

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

The Thread Artist Guild did alot of research on the various sizes and developed the following size definitions from what was typically used within the industry:

Micro - Under 2 inches tall
Miniature - 2 to 6 inches tall
Small - over 6 inches to 12 inches tall

I can usually get 2 bears (around 3 inches each)  from one of the 9x9 pieces from Sassy's.

/bearhugs,

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thank you, Mary for defining the size categories.  bear_original

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Thank you for the info Mary-it helps a lot to know how to define the sizes bear_flower
I think for my first bear I will try 4-6 inches.I am sure that will be a challenge for me bear_ermm  bear_shocked  bear_original

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Good for you Laurie!!!  I often make bears in the 4-5 inch range... You have no problem laying a bear this size out on the 9x9 inch piece of fabric..... you'll even have seome left over just in case you need to re cut a piece or two!   bear_wub  :dance:  :hug:

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Kim Basta

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Good luck Laurie. I love the Sassy fabric and its lovely to work with. A good miniature size to start off with is about 3 1/2" to 4", as you can turn and do other things easier. As you get used to the small scale you can go down in size. I've not made for over a year but will be starting soon. Good thread is a must to make the job easier, and thin needles. I ordered the super lon thread, I think its a beading thread. Just shout if you need to know anything.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Thanks for the info Kim and Amanda.I am half way through a bear at the moment in mohair and I am hoping he will be around 5.75 inches and I am pleased so far as I never thought that I could get that small :dance: .It is not the making of the bear that size that scares me it is hoping that I can create a face with an appealing look as sometimes if you go up or down on your normal bear sizes the features in a bears face are the hardest things to get right on a bear.My next challenge is using the Sassy fur and trying to get between 4-5 inches and that is scarey bear_shocked  bear_grin

Board footer