Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

As you all know by now I'm sure I am a poor poor student at Durham here in perpetually rainy England.  You may also know (thanks to my earlier plea for recipes!) that I am now fending for myself in a house rather than in College this year, which has been difficult in parts, but I'm afraid to say the pinnacle came when I discovered on packing, at the back of my wardrobe, my beautiful golden ball gown... covered in mildew.

medress.jpg
bear_sad:(:( (see? It is PURE MAGIC FIBRE)

I know it's just a dress, but unfortunately both times I've worn it I've felt invincible, so if anyone has any master ideas I'd be soooo grateful for them bear_original  We've used heat, light, magic stain removers AND I'm afraid have even stuck it in the washing machine, but the outer layer is still stained... I could consider having it replaced, but maybe dying it would work?

I have, by the way, been sewing since receiving my British Bear Artist Award from the lovely Dawn bear_laugh And I will post photos as soon as I can take them: my beloved and timeworn Samsung decided to go kaput this holiday too XD  I definitely need some input on this new bear, but more of that soon: any advice is gratefully received bear_original

Thanks bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Don't have any magic suggestions to remove the mildew, Chloe, but that is a beautiful dress on a very lovely lady.

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Oh dear, I have a book on household remedies but unfortunately it only mentions mould on walls and windows and the remedy is bleach, a no no for the dress, have you tried stain devils, they do several types of stain remover and may have a milldew one, other than that it may be worth a trip to the dry cleaners, cos they are great for being able to deal with things like this...................although I would have thought there would have been an old fashioned remedy
PS dress looks fab on you :hug:

puca bears puca bears

Hiya
what a shame - your dress is SO lovely and you look gorgeous in it..................
I had a rummage thru the book shelves and found an old copy of the Australian CWA cookery book and household hints............and boy, some of them are frightening - like "washing clothes in PETROL"?!?!?
anyway - mildew........"can be removed by damping the damaged part, rub with soap and sprinkle with fine chalk. Expose to the sun (what's that???) : It may be necessary to repeat several times as mildew is a difficult stain to remove!"
They go on to suggest rubbing with laundry soap, and putting salt and lemon on both sides of the cloth and exposing to HOT sun...........or (and this sounds fun?!) - "mix an ounce each of soft soap and powdered starch, half an ounce of salt and a dessertspoonful of lemon juice with a little water to a smooth paste - spread on the marks and leave for 12 hours  -rinse in tepid water, and if necessary, repeat the operation............
Doesn't sound too hopeful, does it? Looks like your best bet is to go and chat to someone at the dry cleaners...
GOOD LUCK!
huggies
Maria

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

You look stunning in that dress Chloe, do hope you can get the mildew out, what a shame.  I don't have any solutions to help with this, hope Maria's solutions help.

Pauline

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I did an internet search and found this advice:

http://www.ehow.com/how_18795_remove-mi … thing.html

Hope it helps.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thanks for all the help and the advice bear_original (and the nice comments, it is a magical dress).

I've seen lemon juice given as an idea on a few sites, so maybe it's worth another try bear_original My main concern is that it's been through a washing machine with no changes, so maybe that means it's stained too deep... hopefully not.  I will copy your words of wisdom and prepare to stock up and try! (petrol? Woah, drastic!)  I have a few weeks (minus two lab reports) before I go back, so fingers crossed...)

As for the dry cleaners, they wouldn't touch it!  bear_rolleyes  It's a dress shop dress, and so hasn't got a 'dry clean only' label :P

Thanks guys bear_original

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

OOOO  Chloe!  WOW, are you ever a stunner in that dress... I can see why it's so magical to you!   bear_flower   No good suggestions here, I'm afraid... just hoping that you do manage to get it out!   :hug:  bear_wub  :hug:

Kim Basta

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I've had success with a paste of lemon juice and baking soda. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best  bear_ermm

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website
WildThyme wrote:

OOOO  Chloe!  WOW, are you ever a stunner in that dress... I can see why it's so magical to you!   bear_flower   No good suggestions here, I'm afraid... just hoping that you do manage to get it out!   :hug:  bear_wub  :hug:

Kim Basta

Lol, thanks Kim, I know what you mean!  I have to say I think it's the oh-so impressive hair that does it... it was an amazing Ball bear_laugh  Thanks for the compliment, it's my first of the new year!

I've had success with a paste of lemon juice and baking soda. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best

Thanks, a lot of people have said to try lemon juice so that will be my next port of call as soon as the shops re-open bear_original Here's hoping!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Ooooh, that dress looks fantastic on you!!!  I can easily see why its a 'magical' dress.   :dance:   

Do you have any older tailors or seamstresses in your area that you could phone?  I find a lot of the newer people are ....well, if its not something they can fit into a pigeonhole, or can give an instant answer to, they don't even try.  Some of the older tailors and seamstresses are magical in their abilities with the fabrics, and this is one very special fabric. 

I do hope you can come up with something to save it  :hug:

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Yeah Debbie, having it recovered was another idea: luckily it's only the top layer of material which is stained, so if I could find a close enough match perhaps somethnig could be done to switch it?  The dress is weird, it's like... gold underneath with a transparent butter-yellow top layer  bear_rolleyes  bear_wub I love it bear_laugh

Board footer