Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

We are paranoid so we check the account frequently, and the debit card is only on 1 account mostly used for online stuff, which is different than the household account or the paypal account.

This morning there were 4 charges we didn't make:  three from an online betting company and one from an online site that sells spiritual books.

Who uses a stolen card number for on line spiritual books?  I hope they get something spiritual out of their books...... :crackup:  :crackup:

dilu bear_grin

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Ohhh nooo Dilu...
Do you think perhaps the gambler was looking for spiritual guides to quit gambling???
Oh my goodness... :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
Not funny...but it is!!!

Hugs &

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

how odd! bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko
You thnk they'd use it for something more exciting like chocolate and shoes and handbags  bear_tongue

I'm sorry that someone used your card but glad yu found out quickly and it was a person obvoiusly looking for redemption  :crackup:

Hugs,

AndreaM bear_original

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

lol, that is kind of funny.. someone got ahold of my number and charged almost $4000 in sporting goods.. lol. I could think of much better things to charge  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue lol

Bear Hugs!
Melanie

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

My account got hijacked and the money was spent on football tickets.

I hope you get it sorted really quickly and you get it paid back into your account.

Teddy Hugs, Jane.   bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Oh we aren't worried, like I said, we check it frequently.....the 3 charges to the online betting establishment were for racing forms.  So I guess I should be glad they at least like animals?

And the  on line "spiritual books" were pretty funny:  google  "Outrageous Mastery"  we did and the books are kinda hinky.....so I called the number. ( Don't you love how they include the telephone numbers when you use a card)...the woman who answered sounded a little wary and then a lot scared, when I explained I was trying to determine where the $147.00 went....she said her set is $147.00  but she had no idea how this happened.....yeah right.

The only way to purchase them is to enter your email addy and name and then she contacts you; hmmmmm......

The card company asked if we were willing to prosecute, well duh!

The whole exercise is rather amusing and the only inconveinent thing is not having a debit card for online purchases.  I  will be purchase free for a few weeks I guess....

oh wait.......there is always paypal..... :crackup:  :crackup:

I thibk its kinda funny and they have already refunded our paltry amount.  kinda nice that as we were figuring 3 or 4 weeks.....

hope you all had a giggle or two....

Penpen, what happened to us is nothing compared to what you went through....That would be scary

gollyhugs to all

dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Dilu, so glad you have been reimbursed already.   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  A few months ago, I got my credit card statement with a charge of $150.00 on it that I didn't make.  I did track down where the purchase was made . . . a satellite dish retailer in Canada!  After a couple of months of negotiating, the cc company removed the charge.  Kinda upsetting to know how often this happens to us all.  ID theft creeps!

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Never Never Never take those credit card offers the stores try to get you to take to get a percent off your purchase. I did that once at Target, with no intention of using the card. I got the $100.00 dollars off ( it was christmas time) 4 months later I got a statement from Target for $250.00. I had never recieved the credit card, and it was for purchases made in Chicago.
The Target company was not to cooperative when I told them I had never recieved the Credit card and that I could prove that I had been at work that day in Nevada they asked if I had any witnesses I said yes about 300 middle schoolers as I was attendance secretary!!HAHAHAHA
Anyway it took months to straighten out  and turned out to be a ring of Target employees stealing the Cards before they made it out and buying small purchases they thought would go unnoticed.
Glad you got your money back so soon Dilu, I spent months trying to keep them from sending me to collections for a credit card I never recieved.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Maybe they stole your credit details.....did'nt know what to do with the cash so bought a book on spiritual guidance so they could use the magic heebeejeebies on the horses? Did the horses win? Maybe you could ask for a cut Wonks.
bear_wacko  bear_whistle  :crackup:
PenPen

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

You know the ID theft thing is really scary. I shred everything. I have only one credit card and like Kathy I don't partake in store credit card deals.

I watch Suzie Orman and she says to call the three credit companies and put a "fraud alert" on them. Why? Well anybody who gets your personal information like a Social Security number and applies for credit card will not be granted any. The three company names escape me but they are the ones that when you apply for a loan or another credit card they keep tabs of it.

If you want to apply for a loan or another credit card, you call them up and undo the fraud alert.  I plan on putting a fraud alert in place.

I also understand there are really sneaky people out there. On CNN they did a story on patients that pass away in a hospital are open to people stealing their identity. It is a big invitation for people to steal their ID information from their charts. The poor families are left to clean up the mess years later.....
What other tip do some of you have?

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Dilu it is lucky that you check on it often as it could have been alot worse. Glad you got it sorted out so soon and yes there is always paypal. bear_grin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

This is a very long piece that I was forwarded yesterday, but has helpful info on ID theft:

IDENTITY THEFT UPDATE 09:  Start the New Year right by taking the following precautions against loss of wallet, checkbook, etc.

1. The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first
name) and last name put on them.  If someone takes your checkbook, he will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign your checks.
2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards.  Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED."
3. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line.  Instead, just put the last four numbers.  The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check-processing channels will not have access to it.
4. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone.  If you have a PO Box, use that instead of your home address.  If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address.  Never have your SS# printed on your checks. You can add it if it is necessary.  However, if you have it printed, anyone can get it.
5. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine.  Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc.  You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place.  Also carry a photocopy of your passport when traveling either here or abroad.
6. When you check out of a hotel that uses cards for keys do not turn the "keys" in.  Take them with you and destroy them. Those little cards have on them all of the information you gave the hotel, including address and credit card numbers and expiration dates.  Someone with a card reader, or employee of the hotel, can access all that information with no problem whatsoever.

Some critical information to limit the damage in case you or someone you know has a
Loss is:

- Cancel your credit cards immediately. The key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call.  Keep those where you can find them.
-  File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen.  This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one). Perhaps most important action of all is to call the three national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number.  The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit The numbers you always need to contact about your wallet and contents being stolen are:
a.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
b.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
c.) TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
d.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271
[Source: Various Dec 07++]

We know they got the number from an online shop-which one we do not know yet....but we aren't done......and that is why it is so easy to track down stuff....This was just the little account that is only used for on line stuff....so it should be fairly easy for Visa to figure out who done it....and since it was ONLY a debit card they couldn't have done much damage.

It pays to have the fianances separated....boy am I glad we did.....

stay safe out there

hugs

and still laughing Penny

dilu

andrea, chocolate and shoes and handbags.....I can tell my age here....chocolatye and fabric and silk ribbons would be more my speed.

Kathy we had the card cancelled and are working with the company...we don't have creid cards, only debit.  We have seen too many people damaged through over extension of credit.  You all know the average family has over $10,000 in credit card debt?

YIKES

I couldn't deal with that kind of stress.....

so I totally support the don't-apply-for-every-card theory.  And we also shred everything, and then it either goes in the compacter in the summer or the burn barrel in the winter......

Also we argue against the use of SSI numbers, since they are not supposed to be used for "identification"  says so on the card.....we can usually talk them into a different number....or we just shop elsewhere.

If you do have a credit card purchase ask for the carbons....it will make it a little more difficult

well....happy shopping folks.....don't let 'em get to you!

gollyhugs

dilu

(wonks to you Penpen  :hug: )

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

I have never had a credit card in my life, I always pay by cash except when I buy through Paypal on the internet. I've never payed by check in stores or by any bank cards so I never have to enter my pin number into machines. Paypal is where my account got hijacked, luckily my bank just paid the money back into my account.
I try and play safe but even then my account was hijacked. Cash is safest and I've never owed anyone a penny in my life so I haven't had any money worries.

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Sue Ann wrote: a.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
b.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
c.) TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
d.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

Sue Ann these are the three credit card organizations Suzie Orman spoke of. She said to call all three and put a fraud alert on them so that if anybody steals your personal information, they can not open credit cards or get loans off of  your good name....She said when you go for a loan or another credit card, just call them so you can move forward with your plans. I like this idea. I just have to get around to doing it....

Oh, I also pay an additional $12 a month with my own credit card company to notify me when my credit history is seeing activity. Though they will not stop the credit card application from going through, it will tell me if somebody is using my ID info and thus notified early on in the game. Though I don't like this reactive mode, it is better than nothing. That is why Suzie Orman says to get "fraud alerts" put on all three credit organizations so that it is a proactive way of stopping identity theft.

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

Great advice here, everyone! Something I read the other day: Don't shop online with a debit card. Debit cards aren't always protected the way credit cards are, so your bank might not have to refund your money or help you prosecute the identity theft. Also, don't use debit cards at restaurants where they take your card away to scan it. People have had their entire bank accounts emptied in the time it takes a waiter to walk to the back of the restaurant and run the card. I love my debit card and use it all the time, but I'm trying to be more careful about the circumstances.

Mindy

Board footer