Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Pages:
psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I just wanted to jump in again and thank everyone who posted here.
Although I've only just made my 1st pattern, i hope one day to make some sort of living out of bear making. It's really helpfull to hear of what opportunites can come up and what you guys do about it. This sort of knowedge is priceless and I thank you.
Heather

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:dance: :clap: Belated congratulations, Sarah and Hayley!

Having read through all the wise words posted here, I don't think you could go far wrong with either decision.

Eileen

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Thankyou Denise, Heather and Eileen  :angel:
I'm so tired now and really should go to bed...boy this place is addictive...love it   bear_smile :love::angel:
goodnight Aussies...rest of the world hope you're having good weekends  :dance:

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Sarah,
I've decided to go ahead and do it anyway.I asked advice from a few more well known friends who have been published before and the answer was a resounding "Go for it". Most of them pointed out that you would pay up to $1000 for a full page add in these mags so really we are getting cheap advertising at the very least. It is also a highly respected magazine and one friend who had a pattern featured in this particular magazine 7 years ago, says she still has people contacting her about that project. I guess tjhat's the thing with magazines...people read them and keep them to look through over and over.
I didn't want to appear at all ungrateful..just wanted to try to look at the whole picture before jumping in. I tend to be an impetuos person by nature and am trying hard to break the habit!
Gotta tell you though..I'm very envious of that profile your are getting with ABC! Way to go! :clap:

Australia
Just Us Bears wrote:

Sarah,
I've decided to go ahead and do it anyway.I asked advice from a few more well known friends who have been published before and the answer was a resounding "Go for it". Most of them pointed out that you would pay up to $1000 for a full page add in these mags so really we are getting cheap advertising at the very least. It is also a highly respected magazine and one friend who had a pattern featured in this particular magazine 7 years ago, says she still has people contacting her about that project. I guess tjhat's the thing with magazines...people read them and keep them to look through over and over.
I didn't want to appear at all ungrateful..just wanted to try to look at the whole picture before jumping in. I tend to be an impetuos person by nature and am trying hard to break the habit!
Gotta tell you though..I'm very envious of that profile your are getting with ABC! Way to go! :clap:

Oh Yay yay yay yay yay!!!!!!!!!!!!   :clap: :dance: bear_thumb :angel:
Yep, never thought of that...people hold on to craft mags don't they!  Cool!
No prob, I know that it is different for everyone and respected your decision whatever it was...like we were talking about, different situations...I don't have kids and am really classified as dissabled (tho I don't like to see myself like that)...I have a carer and don't go anywhere really, so fill my time this way...If I had a family and work etc, I'm sure I would have had to ummm and ahhh way more than you!  lol
take care and keep in touch...it will be fun to discuss :)
And you know...everyone I've asked knows this mag...so we may get more recognition than we expect...fingers crossed!
hugs sarah  :hug:

Australia

Sarah,
I have just found out something else that has put all my reservations behind me. I thought when they commisioned a magazine exclusive, it meant that we relinquish all rights to the pattern...end of story. But apparently, the deal is that the magazine gets the copyright from you for two months only and after that time we can sell the pattern ourselves, make up kits, and still make bears to sell from it too. The only thing we CAN"T do, is sell the pattern to another magazine. I see this as an everybody wins scenario.
I was afraid that if my pattern was super fabulous, that I would regret handing over the full rights forever more.
I'm a happy girl now! bear_laugh :dance:
Also...I bought a copy of the mag, and unless they change the format, every person who has a project submitted in the mag gets a full page or half page mini profile too. Cool!

Australia

Hi Hayley
oh that is great news!  I really didn't have that whole issue clarified, or didn't understand properly with my head the way it is lol...but wasn't sure on the whole thing...sometimes emails are so much easier aren't they!
I wouldn't want to sell it to another mag anyway...But great that we can sell it on or whatever.
Oh that is wonderful about the profile!  so cool  :dance:
Glad you are happy now lol  :thumbsup:
I have to go eat dinner now  :angel:
hugs Sarah

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Great, excellent, fantastic, glad you changed your mind Hayley. 

What a great opportunity for you both (Sarah & Hayley), I am a subscriber to this mag, I was waiting for my subscription to run out, I will have to keep it going to see your pieces in there now, well done and congrats to you both.  :clap:  :dance:

Australia

Thank you Karen.xx

Pages:

Board footer