Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I know you mean well, but I've been a dog groomer, and I've had three dogs that came through my grooming that was in far worse condition than this poor girl.  Each dog had a doting owner pouring thousands of money into the care of their animals.  We worked directly with the vets coming up with all sorts of lotions, potions, constant bathing routines, all to help the dogs. 

Now, do you say that these caring doting owners are EVIL, and ABUSIVE, and should be slung into a cage because their dogs were still not cured?  What about the vets who were doing their utmost, and yet still unable to correct the problem, nor even able to control the pain and itching inflicted on these dogs? 

I'm not trying to belittle the situation in which she ended up in.  Ultimately she's in a shelter and someone's out there trying to help her to become more comfortable.  All I'm saying is that the soring you are seeing is not from someone taking a grater to her hide, or similar.  Sometimes even with the undying love of a doting owner, the power of vets and endless bags of money being thrown at the dog, they can still end up looking like this, and yes, I've even seen worse.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I'm not trying to get anyone's backside up.  I do not know this dog's story.  The full situation is not stated.  I've said that before.  The fact she may have been kicked, or whatever before she arrived could have easily happened. 

All I was trying to say is that the bleeding sores and the fact she's skinny with funny looking skin is brought about by her skin condition.  That's all I was attempting to say. 

As for rescueing animals from abuse, one of my childhood cats came from a classic situation.  My mom took him away from three beastly nine year old boys who had broken George's tail and had poured bacon grease over him to encourage a dog to have a bite.  So I'm not shirking away from standing up to this kind of abuse. 

As for where Faye's owners are now?  I do not know.  I do not know the situation she came from.  Life happens.  Its impossible to say, and a thousand and one things could have happened to have landed her in this state.  Yes, there are people out there who have a 'throw away' mentality when it comes to dogs.  They don't understand it takes a bit of time and training.  Behavior issues spring up, the dog bites, the dog barks, the dog ate my best sofa....yes, there are lots of people who chuck a dog into the shelters and go out and buy a new puppy.  But there are situations where the owners have lost their jobs, their homes, in some cases their life, or the life of a spouse.  Divorces happen.  There are so many different things that can happen to a stable family life situation and the dog has to be placed into a shelter. 

There are plenty of dogs that are 'adopted' by the homeless on the street.  Or those of low income.   These are strays and the person tries to tend for them as best they can, but when its a bit of begging that puts food on the table for either of them, the luxury of spaying/neutering is often out of reach.  That's why so many of the spay/neuter programs are so important.  Is it perfect?  No.  Should the homeless or those of low income be denied the companionship of an animal?  I don't think so.  Its not great, but who are we to take away what may be a bum's only friend in the world. 

At the end of the day, you do the best you can with what you've got.  For all we know, she may have belonged to some homeless person that died.

Board footer