Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

kimkc Australia

This weekend I am travelling to Melbourne, to stay with a lovely lady i met over the net (and once in person) to take part in a design weekend with Jennifer Laing. I am so excited, as i have attempted to design my own bears but have not been happy with them (due mostly because i am hard on myself!).
It is for two full days, and i just cannot wait:lol:
I've been counting down for this weekend since the end of last year!:rolleyes:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh wow . . . lucky you!!  Jennifer Laing is a hero (heroine??) of mine.  Her book The Art of Making Teddy Bears was one of the first I bought when I started bearmaking.  I met her earlier this year at a Dallas show and she was delightful!  Have fun!! bear_laugh bear_laugh

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh Kim I am so jealous. Are you on the same list as me then?  Probably, I'm pretty daft LOL

I was thinking of going, but I decided my health just wouldn't have been up to it..... I want to hear about it, and see photos!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, I'm jealous too! I teach bear making workshops and have a lot of fun doing it but I'd like to be a student one of these times and who better to have for a teacher?????

Is there a way to get a listing of Jennifer Laing's class schedule? I did a quick internet search but found nothing helpful.

Yes, stories and pictures are a must when you get back!!!

Daphne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Its not easy being green ( with envy ) But I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU !

Soak it all in, and have a wonderful time!

Dilu
Ah Daphne.....love your use of a wonderful Bible verse.....

kimkc Australia

Thanks all! I am literally counting down the hours, and its only Tuesday today!!:lol:
I am actually flying to Melbourne on thursday to spend a day with my brother & his girlfriend, we are shopping on the Friday. Actually, not my brother, he'd get bored:rolleyes:

I found out about the weekend via the Bearmakersaustraliaandbeyond yahoo group, which i am a member of! I've met most of the ladies who'll be there, well, three of them anyway!:lol: Although i think the class numbers are small. I do know that Jennifer will be doing another course in Australia in October, and someone mentioned something about later in the year in the USA. I could try to find out for you

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

If you have the opportunity to find out about any US classes she's doing I'd love to know about them. But I'm sure you'll be having so much fun if I were you I'd forget about anything else!!! :D:D

Thanks!
Daphne

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Daphne,

If you can get to California in July... Jennifer is doing 3 classes.  I hope it's OK to mention this... but I think this may be the only place in the US where she's teaching.  Please feel free to edit my post if necessary!  I like BOTH suppliers!!:D
http://www.edinburghimports.com/classes.asp

ellen ontario, canada

jenniefer is doing some workshops in Toronto this summer too.
i took one with her last summer - fabulous lady & teacher!!  i'll always remember her "throwing" her foot/leg up onto the desk in front of me to demonstrate desiging a foot pointing out & down rather than the usual straight out & up foot/leg.
HAA!  nothing wrong with that of course - it just surprised me!
have fun!!  ...and we all want the tips you pick up!
bear_grin

kimkc Australia

Hi everyone,
Wow, what a weekend!!! I learnt so much, Jennifer is the best teacher. And the best thing? I finally have my very own bear pattern, so i can actually sell the damn things instead of giving them away:lol:
I'd tried many a time to design my own patterns, but i always gave up because i kept hitting a hard spot. Now, i know what i was doing wrong, and i know how to fix the problem! Yipppeeeeee:cool:
And she showed me how to do noses the easy way, because i hate them:rolleyes:
I got the head almost complete - realised after attaching them that the eyes i used were not perfectly matched, so i have to get another pair and use them.
Then, i can sew up his body & join and stuff him. Then my ted is completed. he's a 36cm male adult, but i haven't found a name yet for him:rolleyes:

Australia

oooh Yay!! How exciting, you MUST show us a photo, or two bear_happy

kimkc Australia

I'll try to take some photos asap, then i'll post them. I am totally flat out this week, and i also have a packed weekend. Maybe i can rest next week:rolleyes:

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

What fun ! I'd love to take a class from her...Call the male bear" Burtus " or " Bruno".....Winney

Nicholasville, KY
Website

OH how exciting!!!  I'm so glad for you... and a little jealous bear_laugh

kimkc Australia

I was tossing up between Charles or Andy, for names, but i think i'll wait till he is finished:lol:

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

OH OH OH!! I am taking a class in July from her!! I live close to "the other bear supplier" and signed up! BUT I just found out the class I wanted to take has been changed. It was suppose to be wildcat/kitty and now is advanced bears.. I hope I'm advanced enough!! bear_rolleyes

Australia

Oh Kirsten, of course you'd be advanced enough!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

I second what Danni says . . . your avatar (what a cutie!) says that you would CERTAINLY be advanced enough!

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Why thank you ladies. bear_laugh I always feel so new and "scared" of each bear as I make it. Maybe you know the feeling.... "Oh gosh, now how do I do this again? How'd that last one get finished??? Oh yeah!"
I currently have a sewn but not stuffed head which has a uneven nose. How'd I do that? I dunno? I was administering State tests and had down time, so I sewed a head... crooked!:rolleyes:

I was really looking forward to making a kitty! bear_ermm

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

It's those state tests that did it to you, Kirsten!! bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I always get nervous with each new bear, too.. makes it hard to start one.  But once I start, I can't STOP.  I need therapy.

BEAR-apy, maybe!

bear_tongue:D:P

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, Kirsten, of course you're advanced enough!! I just checked out the class list at Edinburgh and the one you are taking is the one I'd take. In fact, if I were to fly clear across the continnent I'd just take all her courses and make quite a time of it. (My hands are aching at the thought!!) Let's see..... I'd have to sell how many bears for the plane fare? How many more for the hotel? And how many MORE for the class fees? And there are how many weeks till mid July? I guess I'll have to hope for next year! :(:(:(

Kim, it sounds like you had a blast at Jennifer's class. I can't wait to see pictures of your bear and hear what you named him!!!!

Hugs,
Daphne

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

What can I say?????????? I am a jelous!!!! Green with envy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a good beesley??????????????? I am in western Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Darn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Darn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Darn!!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you Kiddo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Let us know how it all turns out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Green I say Green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs Louise

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Hey Louise!

I know how ya feel - me too bear_laugh  But... did ya know about the online teddy bear courses that Nancy Tillberg teaches?  I've taken 2 and they are GREAT!  Helps ya get new inspiration too :)

http://www.kranbearys.com/welcome_to_the.htm

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Laura - I took the nose class too, but never had time during that month, I saved all the info somewhere too! bear_tongue

I can only afford one class, so this one will be it! I can't wait!
Louise - I hope green is your color!;) bear_tongue

Board footer