Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I'm taking another class with Elinor Peace Bailey this time in May.  And yes, I'm already worried about it.  LOL!  Anyway, this year we are going to be concentrating on drawing our doll's faces.  I was playing around last night with felt - because I said if I ever made dolls seriously felt would be my choice of fabric - and I tried Prismacolor Markers and Sharpies and both made a hideous mess.  Anyone out there who has used markers on fabric care to share what brand they use (and the source?).  I still have my Prismacolor Pencils to try so I may give them a go and see if they are dark enough for me.

Thanks in advance...

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Farbric markers, Micron pens.
JoAnns, Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby  bear_grin

I don't have a ton of experience with fabric markers - not for doing such delicate details. But they don't run, even on felt.

I have a friend who works exclusively with felt... I'll email her.

I just looked at Elinor's website...... what fun her dolls are! Do you have her new DVD? Perhaps that would get you one step ahead before her class??

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

No, I don't have her new DVD.  I just tried Fabric Mate though which she recommends on her website and the fabric still "fuzzes" up when I use it.  I might have a Micron pen somewhere in my stash.  If I find it, I'll try that one out.

The problem is just with the fabric "fuzzing" up when you try to apply the marker.  I'm using wool felt but not 100% - it's 70%.  I might E-mail the artist that I purchased it from and ask her what she uses on her dolls (as I'm thinking she uses the same felt if she sells it).

Thanks!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Perhaps you need to try fabric paint on a fine brush? With the brush it seems like the felt would be less apt to catch on the end as it's not hard. I'm guessing that 100% wool would be even worse.

I understand about the felt getting fuzzy and probably it will catch on the tip on the micron pen too but you never know.

I'm waiting to hear back from my felty friend!  bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Felty Friend was no help.... she needlefelts all of her surface details. I have to say the eyes she does are fantastic...very real with pupil and even that little bit of white for reflection in pupil.

Anyway... hope you find the answers you need, Lisa!

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Lisa
I just finishes this felt doll and it is my first one.  ( I am going to the site you talked about right after I post this!! ) I used on her Sharpie for her eyes freckles and mouth. I made her because, it was just an idea..  I had to make one!  I made her out of just craft felt and like Daphne said I did have trouble with the fuzz. Have to be very careful and go a little at a time.
Hope this help.
Bear hugs.
Gladys :rose:000_1679.jpg

Board footer