Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

otto4.jpgotto3.jpgHi Guys,
I have been feeling really down and uncreative since before Christmas.  So I took my own advice, so often dished out in the pages of Teddy Bear Review, and decided to wander down a few untrodden paths - or, at least ones I haven't visited in a long while! bear_grin

Almost 15 years ago I began making bears with faces sculpted from polymer clay.  I was never 100% happy with the way the clay joined the furry head and was always looking for a more natural look.  The stuff I habitually use to make noses would be too messy to try a full muzzle sculpt, but then I tracked down some Apoxie Sculpt, as I know some TTers use it.  So, to cut a long story short... Tadah!!!  Meet Otto - 14 inches of soulful sweetness, who was an absulute joy to create!! bear_wub

His face is a blend of clay and fur - and I promise you can't see any joins!!  This stuff is so much stronger that polymer clay and it absolutely LOVES paint - I had a great time blending the colours.  It took a lot of patience to finesse the clay into the right areas, but I think it was worth the effort. 

I really hope you guys like him - I will have him on my stand at Hugglets next month, and he will be joined by a few brothers and sisters.  I might even teach a class on this technique later in the year.

Hugs,
Christine

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Oh Chris, I love him!!  I always did love your sculpted face bears as you know and this guy is fabulous!  Bravo!  I'm so pleased you refound your mojo ... and it was just where you left it, waiting to be rediscovered!  Isn't it strange how some things are just meant to be! bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Beautiful Christine. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:   But then I never knew you had even lost your mojo.  Well, you have definitely got it back now! bear_thumb

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

After Blue monday the whole nation can move on. I've never known such a yucky January, for no reason. Talk about coming back with a stunner, love the hat, it all looks so right. Fantastic!

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Wow  Chris he is just stunning,  I can imagine the amount of time that would go into sculpting the face.  Keep up the great work (yes you have your mojo back lol).

hugs

Shane

Norfolk, UK
Website

Thanks SO much, you guys!!!  Your comments mean so much to me  :hug:

I can't claim credit for the hat - my mother-in-law makes them for me.  Isn't it gorgeous??  I have sent her a picture of Otto, so I hope she likes him too.
Hugs,
Chrisx

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Otto is fantastic Christine!!! I love every bit of him... his facial expression is absolutely stunning!!  bear_wub You must never feel down..you have a huge, huge, talent!! I have admired your wonderful creations for so long...your bears are simply an inspiration to us all!!  :clap:  :clap:... can't wait to see Otto and his siblings at Hugglets...

Keep up the wonderful work!!!   bear_thumb

Hugs Yvonne  bear_flower

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Gosh...I didn't know your mojo was out running around all willynilly on its own....I would have hunted it down & kept it for myself! :crackup:  :crackup:  Really stunning Chris!

Cheryl bear_flower

bea Lodve (Hrault)

what a face!!!.. i love him!!!..fabulous!!!.. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Wow he is gorgeous!!!I would be interested to see how you attached his muzzle to his head??

Norfolk, UK
Website

That darned mojo of mine - I tried keeping him on a leash, but then he just sulks and refuses to cooperate! bear_grin

Kathy - the muzzle is sculpted directly onto the head.  I stuffed the skull really firmly and shaved the muzzle area, and then it was a case of smoothing on the clay and sculpting it into shape.  It's a bit like needle-felting the features... only with clay.  Does that make any sense?
Christinex

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great, superb effort, Chris!  Really, really awesome!  Yep, I need to find me some Christine mojo.

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Oh my he is fantastic, love him,  you are so clever  bear_wub  bear_wub

Pauline

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

He's wonderful, Christine.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

He has great character Christine bear_wub  bear_wub
Hopefully I will be at Hugglets so I will come to see him for a closer look bear_happy
Laurie :hug:

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Yea!!!!  Oh, he's truly wonderful Christine!  Don't you LOVE the Apoxie Sculpt!?  I love the whole range of Aves products.  And that stuff is strong as nails after it's cured, isn't it!?  So happy that you've found it!  bear_wub  :hug:

Kim Basta

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I love this bear!!!! bear_wub  bear_wub  Wonderful sculpting!!!
I wish I knew someone who could knit my bears cool hats like that too!

Norfolk, UK
Website

Kim - I have used a different, British-made product for years, but it is very sticky and quite messy, so I would never have attempted anything this ambious with it.  Thanks to you guys talking about Apoxie Sculpt on TT, I managed to track some down - In England, and in a half price sale - it was clearly meant to be!! bear_grin   I have now stocked up on the stuff in case I can't get any more!!
Hugs,
Chris

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Wow, you certainly HAVE got your mojo back - Otto is outstanding!  :clap:  bear_wub

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

WOW totally brilliant and an exceptional idea! :dance:
Wendy

LisaAP Arcas designs
Website

Otto is just wonderful. You have made a marvelous job of sculpting the muzzle. Such a talent! And the hat is the icing on the cake. I'm in love.  bear_wub

Regards

Lisa

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Christine...boy have you got your mojo back. Otto is fantastic, what a clever gal you are! I will try and get some good pictures of him and your other pieces at Hugglets. Great to see you have overcome your down-time. You are a wonderful artist and Otto just proves it, he's fabulous!

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Norfolk, UK
Website

Thanks guys!! :hug:
Jane - I will make sure Otto shows off his best side for you. See you at the show!!
Hugs,
Chris

Board footer