Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

OK, I know I am dense and slow on the uptake, but what is this Etsy thing I hear people talking about?? bear_grin

I know Shelli has mentioned having a presence there, and a number of doll artists in another group I belong to are also on it.  I even went to the Etsy homepage but I'm still not sure exactly what goes on there - is it like a Facebook for artists??  (Facebook and MySpace are also things that have passed me by, haha!).

Those of you who use it - is it an effective sales tool?

Love to hear some opinions,
Chrisx

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

Yes Chris I'm with you....I'd be interested in hearing more....I keep going to the site but not sure whether to commit to joining. I only sell on ebay at the moment...would it be worth having an Etsy shop, anyone who has?
Lynne  bear_rolleyes

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Shelli recently posted on her blog a nice description of Etsy.  It's a place where people who create HANDMADE only items can sell them for a set price.  The key is HANDMADE no commerical made items.  It's a little confusing to navigate at first but after awhile you get the hang of it.  I have only purchased from Etsy and not sold, yet...but have only heard wonderful things...and seen some gorgeous items at really reasonable prices.

The "Treasury" is a fun place to start just looking.  I stumble there one day not having a clue what I was doing...lots of eye candy and then shuffled my way around like an old woman in her slippers from shop to shop.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Christine,
     Etsy is a website for artists to sell hand made goods.  It operates on a fixed price system, not by auction.  You open a store, and list your items and they can stay up to four months, before you have to change them.  The cost for each listing is only 20 cents.  There is also a fee you pay to Etsy, when an ittem is sold and I can't remember the exact percent, but it's fairly low as well.  I have a store, along with lots of other Teddy talk people.  My store address is www.duffyantiques.etsy.com if you would like to check it out.  I use it for things other than teddies.  I haven't sold much there, but I'm getting ready to add a lot more stuff.  There are a lot of creative people using Etsy, that don't like ebay or the auction format. Take care.

hugs,

Brenda

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Oooh, I love Etsy! I have a shop on there, but I don't sell really, I prefer to buy! 

As far as I know, it's the same as an Ebay shop but you have to have hand made the item, or it must be vintage.  You can list for a set price and put up to six image on there for the same price (i think): it's pretty cool bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yep, what they all said!! I LOVE Etsy.  I came into it via the art card community.  There's GORGEOUS stuff there of all kinds and yes, all of it handmade.  It's kinda like what Bren said; an indie art festival, online.

One cool thing is that if the user has allowed it, you can see that user's FAVORITES.   Meaning that if you know someone whose tastes you like, you can view that person's favorites for yourself, and maybe stumble upon something fantastic.

If you want to read my blog post about Etsy -- the one Shantell mentioned (thanks, Shantell!) -- in my typically rambling, endlessly wordy prose, you can, here:  http://potbellyarts.typepad.com/the_pot … -etsy.html  My post contains photographs of a small handful of Treasuries, so you can get a quick idea of what those are, too!

I made my first Etsy sales last week; I listed my IMPS there.  Granted, most of the people who bought them were bear people who read about them here or on my blog!  I LOVE BEAR PEOPLE!!!  But I did get "hearted" by a number of non-bear-people visitors at Etsy who saw my work there for the first time and essentially bookmarked ("hearted") my Etsy shop for future reference.

Brenda is right; it's 20 cents to list each item, and your item stays active for four months.  If it sells, it moves to the SOLD area of your shop.  I believe the fee to Etsy for items sold through Etsy is 3.2%.

One interesting thing about Etsy is that unlike eBay, you aren't committed to selling a given item ONLY on Etsy.  For instance, if you go to an event and sell your Etsy listed item there, you can simply delete your Etsy listing.  All you're out is the 20 cent listing fee and there's no "ding" for unlisting that item.

Transactions occur directly between seller and buyer, and most Etsy shop owners are PayPal fanatics.

Just a few more tidbits to fill out the big picture for you.

I find I visit Etsy every day just to browse the Treasuries and get inspired.  There's some magnificent art there.  It makes me feel kinda insignificant and small in what I do, to see that much talent in one place.  That's not an invitation to reassurance; it's just a fact!  There are a ton of talented, creative people in this world of ours!

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

Thank you Shelli....that's so useful and informative ....I can see I'm now going to be spending hours on Etsy as well as keeping up with the fab creations on TT!  bear_rolleyes
Lynne

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I use it when I don't feel like using ebay. Cheap and easy and it's linked to my blog. Plus people can leave nice feedback.

Very very cool stuff on etsy. I like you can also buy and sell supplies.

Norfolk, UK
Website

Wow - thanks everyone!!
Etsy sounds just what I am looking for - I adore  good art and craft fairs, so a huge online version sounds like a dream come true! bear_grin  I will set some time aside at the weekend to go and have a proper look - and Shelli, thanks for the link; I will go check out your blog too!!
Hugs,
Chris

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I just love Etsy and have been member since May 2007 but don't stock my store as much as I should!  I find it very easy to use, with very fair pricing, and have met tons of wonderful people through the website.  One thing I've learned is that things priced above $100.00 (in my shop anyway) sometimes tend to linger a little longer than others.  Most of the items I have had priced below $50 have gone very quickly.  And I think I've mentioned this before in another Etsy thread (if you search, I think there's a couple on the subject), that it's also the cheapest form of advertising that I know.  For a .20 listing, you can have up to 5 pictures for 4 months.  I think that's fabulous!  Even if someone doesn't buy the item, at least tons and tons of people get to see it!

Norfolk, UK
Website

Hey Lisa,
I just checked your Etsy shop - lovely work!!  Did I see Lemon Drop in Art Doll Quarterly??
Hugs,
Chris

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
Christine wrote:

Hey Lisa,
I just checked your Etsy shop - lovely work!!  Did I see Lemon Drop in Art Doll Quarterly??
Hugs,
Chris

Yes Chris, Lemon Drop was in Art Doll Quarterly with two of my other bears.  I didn't feel I could sell "Got Milk?" because the label you have to put on to identify your work messed up his milk container.  And the other bear, Tru Blue, sold at the Hunt Valley Show.  I wanted to sell "Lemon Drop" in the "Lemonade Bears" auction but he didn't get home in time!

Thanks so much for your kind comments!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I'm totally stoked!  On the subject of Etsy, I got my first ever TREASURY today!!  For those who aren't familiar, an Etsy TREASURY is a compilation of Etsy items created by an Etsy member -- in this case, me!  There are 333 TREASURIES at any given time and it's very hard to get one as there are so many Etsy-ians jockeying for the new ones when the old ones expire.

I called mine "Nuts for Neapolitan" (although I spelled it wrong and can't edit the title -- AARGH!).  It features handmade art of all kinds in shades of pink, brown, and cream.  I was able to feature the work of several art card/mail art friends, as well as that of awesome bear artist Missy Ballance. 

Check my TREASURY out here:  http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=26190

Norfolk, UK
Website
Shelli wrote:

I'm totally stoked!  On the subject of Etsy, I got my first ever TREASURY today!!  For those who aren't familiar, an Etsy TREASURY is a compilation of Etsy items created by an Etsy member -- in this case, me!  There are 333 TREASURIES at any given time and it's very hard to get one as there are so many Etsy-ians jockeying for the new ones when the old ones expire.

OK Shelli - explain please!! bear_grin   I clearly have a lot to learn about this Etsy business.  I am probably being dense (and it is getting late here) but I don't understand the treasury thing - is it the artist's own work or the work of other artists a person has chosen to showcase together?
How long does it take to learn Etsy-Speak??? :crackup:

Hugs,
Chris

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

bear_original  It doesn't take long to learn Etsy-speak at all.  Just an hour or two of devoted concentration, and then you (of all people, 'cause you're smart as a whip, woman!) will have figured it entirely out, with only a few small gaps in your knowledge.  I was helped along by the art card community many of whom have used Etsy for eons as a sales venue for ACEO work and canvases.  Besides, as my dad always says, everything is easy once you know the answer!  You'll get there.

A Treasury is NOT intended for self-promotion but is rather a kind of "favor" from one Etsy-ian to the rest.  Of course, the Treasury creator gets his or her name splashed across the top of the Treasury page he/she creates.  So in fact it IS somewhat self-promoting in that sense.  Let's take this example:  Say I spot a Treasury I love featuring sea themed goodies in blues and greens, and say I especially like the quality and originality of the items the Treasury creator assembled.  I might think to myself, "Hey, that person has great taste!" and then I might go and check out that person's Etsy shop, even though none of their work was actually featured in their Treasury.  I might then "heart" their shop, or items in their shop.  Meaning that I have an easy path to return to them, to browse, get inspired, or buy... all of which are good things, and quite possibly bring that Treasury creator more business.

Furthermore... anyone visiting MY shop and viewing MY profile, after I've "hearted" that Treasury creator, can view my favorites, and will see that Treasury creator among them.  So the good news passes on and on.  Even though not a single piece of the Treasury creator's goods appeared in that sea themed Treasury, the creation of that Treasury could potentially have positive/business/networking reprocussions that echo on and on through many, many Etsy-ians.

I don't know that it's FORBIDDEN to include your own work in your Treasury (it wasn't an issue for me today because I don't have any to display right now!)  I just know that Treasuries aren't INTENDED for self-promotion.

Everyone has a favorite way to browse Etsy.  I usually take the path I described above:  I find someone who has impeccable goods and/or taste (which I discover by viewing their Favorites or a Treasury they've created.)  Then I lift and pilfer all their good shop "hearts" and make them my own!  In that sense, I guess it's kinda like the blog "thing," where some of the best blogs I find, I stumble onto via other awesome blogs.

Anyway, hopefully, that fills in a few gaps for you.  My best advice is just visit Etsy, and have a great time there!  It's not hard to do.

PS  Your jewelry, Chris, would be perfect on Etsy.  And I have to agree with Lisa; it seems to my unscientific eye that items under $100 are more popular and go quicker than items over that amount.  Although high end goods aren't unheard of!  There are sellers listing jewelry for upwards of $250, which clears quickly.  Just some more FYI stuff.

Baysidebears Bayside Bears
Cape Cod, MA

OH, this is very bad.....Shelli, through your blog, I discovered the ETSY TREASURIES  pages.....and now I am spending wayyy too much time on there. I just love browsing through there.... but I got no work done here in my studio at all. Now I have one more thing I absolutely must do...vist Etsy regularly!  It is addicting! How can I justify all that browsing time??? I know...research....I'm doing reseach....seeking inspiration. Oh, and supporting fellow artists.....worthy causes. I think I can add an Etsy hour to each work day now...and not feel gulty!

Mary Lou

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

WOW! Thanks for asking the question Christine............I had no idea what it was either, I figured it was just some computer lingo I'd never really understand.  I had no idea it was such an interesting place!
Thanks to everyone for filling me in on the info......even though I had no idea I needed filling in :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Cheers!

AndreaM bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I LOVE Etsy too.... as a buyer... I've gotten some really cool yarns on there! Haven't tried selling anything there yet.

The fact that it isn't advertised anywhere that I know of is my only negative with Etsy... they could be so much bigger and bring in so many more buyers if they'd advertise some place. Has anyone seen ads for Etsy in magazines or online in a place where a lot of people go  - not just mentioned on a craft specific forum???

Hmm.... I should put a link on my website to Etsy just to help spread the word. If so many of you here don't know what Etsy is think of all the rest out there who have no idea!!

I'd love for bear artists to seize the opportunity to make it their new selling place! What a great audience of appreciative crafts people and we can bring our collectors there easily.... just as Shelli did with her IMPS. I think in time the price point of artist bears wouldn't be a problem when they see all that goes into it and learn about the art through our listings/descriptions.

Go Etsy!

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

oh man. I am only on the second TREASURIES page. It's woooonnnderful.

I want to make soap, and ceramics, and lampwork, and mosaics, and stained glass, and...and...and....!!!!

*shakes fist at Shelli* I am sposed to be working!!

:crackup:

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
Daphne wrote:

I LOVE Etsy too.... as a buyer... I've gotten some really cool yarns on there! Haven't tried selling anything there yet.

The fact that it isn't advertised anywhere that I know of is my only negative with Etsy... they could be so much bigger and bring in so many more buyers if they'd advertise some place. Has anyone seen ads for Etsy in magazines or online in a place where a lot of people go  - not just mentioned on a craft specific forum???

Well they are heavily advertised in the magazines I subscribe to like CRAFT.  I was just looking a the latest copy and they have two full page ads featuring items that are being sold on their website.  I suspect they do the same in CRAFT's sister magazine MAKE.  I've also seen ads in my past Adorn magazines as well.  It only makes sense as I think that Etsy.com has really positioned itself as a hip, trendy place to sell your handmade items and all three of the magazines are promoting themselves in the same way.  Hip, trendy, choc full of crafty goodness.

One thing about Etsy.com though is you don't need to just make things to fill your shop.  You can also sell supplies like mohair, eyes, etc. for making bears as well as books.  Vintage handmade items or vintage items for the purpose of re-crafting are also welcome.  You just have to read the rules a little if you are selling vintage things but I love vintage stuff and have seen everything from clothes to planters on there so that area is kind of gray for me anyway. 

BTW, the last issue of CRAFT that I got is full of Softies (number 6) and is a really great issue!

Edited to add:  I just checked my last year's worth of CRAFT magazine and they have two full page ads in there every month.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks, Lisa.... guess I'm just not hip!  bear_tongue  bear_laugh I hope they'll spread the word through a greater variety of publications as they continue to grow.

Yes, I just bought some really great alpaca yarn for dad to knit a bear out of and I've seen lots of other great crafting supplies on Etsy too!

In fact, it's a great place to go just for inspitation even if you aren't looking to buy.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
Daphne wrote:

Thanks, Lisa.... guess I'm just not hip!  bear_tongue  :D

Well, if you're not don't feel bad as I was just telling someone else today that I am the most UNHIP person ever!!! bear_grin   I could blame it on me being from a different generation or whatever but I joined an Etsy.com group that promoted themselves as being the "older generation" of Etsy.  You had to be 40 to join and after I did I found out I don't fit in there EITHER!!!  Go figure.  I'm stuck in the middle just like when I was a kid (yep, I'm the "Jan Brady" of our household...Marcia, Marcia, MARCIA!).

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

edspencer tEDDIE bears
Wichita, Ks.

cora2.jpg

Christine wrote:
Shelli wrote:

OK Shelli - explain please!! bear_grin   I clearly have a lot to learn about this Etsy business.  I am probably being dense (and it is getting late here) but I don't understand the treasury thing - is it the artist's own work or the work of other artists a person has chosen to showcase together?
How long does it take to learn Etsy-Speak??? :crackup:

Hugs,
Chris

bear_shocked  Hi Chris,

I've heard of ETSY before but haven't been to see the work.  Is this venue similar to The Bear Pile?  I've been using it over a year now and the results are fantastic.  I would be interested in Etsy too as the eBay "thing" is really grinding down.  Thanks - Ed

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Ed,

It's similar to Bear Pile in that you set a price and post the bear at that price... no auction like eBay.
The fees are different than Bear Pile... no mothly membership fee... just a small listing fee plus a small % of the final sale. I believe Shelli went over that in an earlier post. It's cheaper than eBay.

You won't have the targeted audience of JUST bear collectors. Instead this is an audience with an appreciation of handmade items of all sorts. So, you'd need to notify your mailing list of your listings on Etsy.

It's a growing venue...... with a lot of potential and promise from what I can see!

Norfolk, UK
Website

Hi Ed and Daphne,
From what I can see, there are not many bears on it as yet, and several TTers have commented that items under $100 sell better than more expensive things, so that would probably rule out artist bears - for now, at least.  It seems to be a very cool place to find beautiful handmade items of all descriptions though, from stationery to clothing to jewellery to artworks, and everything in between.  Imagine the classiest craft show you ever visited, but with a couple of thousand exhibitors from all around the world!! bear_wub

I have been spending waaay too much time on there in the past few days and have just signed up - as soon as I get my darned kitchen finished (aaargh!!!) I will be setting up a shop of my own there.
Chris

Board footer