Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I hate winter!!! My hair goes stick straight and my hands get so dry and cracked.

Now that winter is almost over I've of course stumbled upon a great hand cream!!!
Most of what I use has needed 10 minutes to soak in, some has changed my sense of touch even and others just have an intolerable smell.

Today I received some stuff I'd purchased off eBay and amongst the goodies was a tube of Udderly SMOOth cream. It's awesome! Soaks right in, doesn't require two coats, doesn't have a perfumey smell and it doesn't leave a greasy residue on fabric, etc. Not a lot of 'foreign', unpronounceable ingredients in it either!

So, if you are in the market for some good hand cream check out their site:
www.udderlysmooth.com

If you are like me you've tried 20 different brands of hand lotion. I really like this one!! But obviously it's personally preference so don't shoot me if you get some and hate it!!!  :redface:

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

I agree - the stuff is brilliant. 

Another suggestion is to embroider a lot using pure silk thread.  Nothing like it for creating smooth hands.  If there is one iota of rough skin on your hands - your silk thread plucks and is ruined - but it pays you back with personal hand care.

:redface: Sandra

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_tongue So will you be 'mooooing' from time to time Daphne?  bear_laugh   ....ducks n hides  bear_happy   Sorry, couldn't resist...

seriously, the stuff works!  I've also found the same with horsey hoof moisturizers.  Its gotta be absorbed fast, and can't leave a residue....plus you'll find it will help your nails grow stronger....

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Thanks Daphne.  I have the same problem with the hair and the hand.  I've seen that stuff and wondered if it worked.  Hey, does it help with the hair too  bear_laugh

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Debbie - yup, I'll be mooing in no time! bear_whistle

Tammy - can't say as I've tried it in the hair... not so sure I will  bear_shocked  ... Frizz Ease is supposed to help with static as well as split ends. I've read a hundred time that keeping a dryer sheet in your pocket keep static cling away... perhaps if you tucked it into a turtle neck???  bear_tongue

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

The Udderly Smooth cream is pretty good.  It works better on my hideously dry hands than most things.  I think I bought mine at Walmart?  I need to try the cornhusker's lotion that was recommended to me on here by, I think, Kim Basta.  Her hands look so nice in the pics of her minis.  I've also used the Mane & Tail horsey hoof cream---that's pretty good too and is also available at walmart.  Now I haven't tried this, but I've heard the Mane & Tail conditioner is awesome for hair.  bear_original

:hug:
Tracy

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

LOL!!! Yep, I've been whinnying and eating hay... as I use Mane & Tails Hoofmaker for mine   bear_whistle   It also absorbs quickly with no greasy residue!!  I also like Mane & Tail's conditioner... for both my own hair and my mohair LOL!

AnnG Childhood Treasures
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA

A friend told me about the udderly smooth cream too. You can get it a Walmart.
Ann

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Yes, yes!

Udderly Smooth is great stuff (mooooooo!) I also love Mane & Tail shampoo and conditioner, though I've never found the hoof cream.

My hubs likes to tell people that we use horse shampoo on ourselves and the expensive stuff on our dogs . . . . guilty.

Has anyone ever tried Show Sheen on her/his own hair? I've gotta say I'm tempted!

Eileen

krystolla Fuzzbutt Bears
Columbus Ohio

I'm equally guilty with regards to spending more money of pet bath products than for-human ones. For me, whatever shampoo is on sale is fine. For the cats I spent 45 minutes at the grocery store finding the exact variety of spray conditioner (for humans) recommended by one of my cat show friends for use on Xander's tail. Yes, just his tail.

I had really awful dry hands this winter -- I think that because I spend all day on a computer my hands aren't getting enough blood circulation and that's making my skin more dry. I was applying mosturizer every couple of hours and still had cracking skin -- I pretty much looked like the "before" picture in a commercial for moisturizer actually. What worked for me is "Bag Balm" which is (don't laugh) cream designed for use on chapped cow udders. The stuff is basically petroleum jelly and lanolin (the stuff that makes sheep waterproof). It's thick, yellowish goo in a tin can. It did leave a sort of waxy residue (which actually felt good given the shape my hands were in) and smelled  . . . well. I guess it smelled approximately like wet sheep smell, which is not entirely unpleasant once you get used to it.

I wouldn't suggest applying the stuff and then proposing some late evening festivities with your significant other. bear_happy More like applying it and then going to sleep.

Anyway, if you get desperate enough the stuff does work (on dry feet, elbows, knees too). My hands actually look like they belong to a human being now and not some science fiction lizard monster. I bought mine from a vet supply catalog (Drs Foster and Smith I think) but farm supply stores and some pet stores carry it too.

-- Erika (now lizard monster free)
Fuzzbutt Bears

staticbear76 Posts: 222

i use glycerin soap unscented  it toughens the skin and makes it soft and clear at the same time it is great for winter.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I have tons of allergies so I usually stick to petroleum jelly at night and then I slip a pair of cotton socks over my hands.  Sounds gross but I do have super soft hands!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I now use hot wax spa baths for my hands (feet too) and they are nice and soft and the warmth feels good on my creaky finger joints!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon
Daphne wrote:

I now use hot wax spa baths for my hands (feet too) and they are nice and soft and the warmth feels good on my creaky finger joints!

Oh gosh...I love those.  When I use to get my nails done on the regular basis I always had that done...LOVE LOVE LOVED it.  I wish my kid would hurry up and get hers.  I'd even buy the wax for her.  bear_flower  I'd buy my own but then she'd want to borrow it.  HA

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I love that stuff Daphne.
My husband swears by udder creams and has been using them for years.  Actually he uses Bovaderm which he gets from a farm supplier made for cow's udders but it claims it is "not for human use".   bear_whistle  He and I have never had any problems with and it is far less expensive than "human" versions.  We buy it by the case so we never run out.

Also, you could try Burt's Bee's hand and foot lotions and potions.  They are awesome and smell great.  I also like Zimms Cracked Creme.  Walmart carries this in the pharmacy area.

I agree with all about the dry hair thing too.  ICK!!!  I have been using Brit Style Magnitude Mousse which gives my great volume and control....(sounds like a commercial)...but really, it's the best stuff I have ever used on my hair.

Now if I could just remember to drink more water I could moisturize from the inside out... bear_whistle  bear_thumb
And I'd love to try the hot wax too. bear_thumb

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

Hi, I remember my girlfriend using the udder cream when she had a bad case of the shingles on her back torso.  She said it felt so good.  I am going to Walmart to day so I will get some, between my feet and hands I do not know which one is worse.  I will try some udder cream, thanx, Daphne.

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

My fingers not only get rough and dry ...they crack ..bleed and are very "ouchy" ... painful to do anything ... usually tape them so they don't tear more.  I have tried all the cures mentioned here without good results.  My fingers will just not heal once they get cracked and the dry cold weather doesn't help.

Discovered the cure ... "Eucerin" Dry Skin Therapy  Plus Intensive Repair Hand Creme.  I felt instant results the first time I used it.   After the second time, I could see the cracks healing.  A fellow co-worker who just finished radiation treatments told me about it.  The doctors recommended it for healing the radiation burns and I see it is good for hand eczema too.

And ... this too can be bought at Walmart.    A small tube (2.7 oz) costs around $5 but so worth it.  It is non-greasy and absorbs quickly. Just thought I would pass along my solution in case someone else out there has badly cracked fingers.

Hugs,

Wanda

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I fight dry hands all winter.  I use Eucerin, but just the regular stuff.  I tried some of their extra therapy type cream before, and it burned like anything.  Turns out I am sensitive to one of the "extra" ingredients.  Anyway, just regular Eucerin works fine for me.  Keeping it on my hands during the day is a lost cause, instead I rub Eucerin all over my hands before I go to bed and wear a pair of light cotton gloves over them (this type of gloves is frequently available where they sell beauty and skin care products).  Works like a charm. 

Kelly

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Ellen,

You poor thing ...I know how it feels .. pretty awful.  And when you try to do grip anything, the cracks spread or get bigger and bleed.  I usually tape mine so any pressure I apply to my fingers won't create further damage.  Let me know if you can not get the creme in Europe.   I would be happy to send it to you.

Kelly,

Yes, this  type has Alpha Hydroxy in it.  Probaby to stimulate the growth of new skin cells to repair the damaged skin.  There is a warning about exposure to the sun, but during the winter, there's not much sun to worry about. 

Wanda

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I can't use the Eucerine creams..... the couple that I've tried (and I don't remember what they were called, just made a mental note not to use Eucerine again) made my hands burn yet had little healing power.

Judi, I believe, made an excellent comment.... drink more water! Somehow I find it easier to use hand cream that works though!
:crackup:

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

I have some super Aloe and Bee Propolis cream which works wonders on cracked hands/feet...anywhere!  bear_thumb ...and is fantastic for eczema too. Could send anyone a sample if they'd like to try it...email me. Lynne  bear_wub

staticbear76 Posts: 222

when i was a kid i got a fever and mom or my sis would rub my feet with vicks vapor rub cause i would get all dryed out and too hot and after the vicks it felt so good and warm too i still do that myself sometimes and it is wonderful and usually help with breaking my fever too it is a happy memory that i still use to help myself todayof course you have greasy feet for awhile but it is worth it and feels awesome and that kept my feet soft and not dryed out from the fever.

Board footer