Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

I think that I must be the queen of procrastination!

I cannot get motivated to sew!   I start for about 5 minutes and then go and do something else like putting the washing on.  This is a very sad way to be.  I need some inspiration. Any ideas?

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Lisa, boy this feeling really gets around doesn't it. I was exactly the same a little while ago. The members here gave me the encouragement that I needed and I have been sewing my heart out getting ready for the Hugglets show in two weeks time. All I did is follow their advice to take a day off and do something else, I didn't touch bears or anything to do with bears. It felt great and once I started sewing again I felt revived. I now have a small collection of bears for the show. This happens to me occasionally and the advice, which was given to me, really worked for me, I hope it works for you. You make some really great bears and I just know there are many more in you to be made. I look forwards to seeing your new collection soon.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Yeah, we all go through this one.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

I am motivated to do bear work when I work my normal full time job, then I never have the time to get to the sewing, yet when I am on holidays sewing is the last thing I want to do, weird, isn't it.  :doh:

I find looking at other artists recent work and magazines is enough to motivate me still

Goodluck  :hug:  :hug:

russellbears Russell Bears
Perth
Website

I too am going through this at the moment, I have so many ideas, but no motivation to make them a reality, at the moment I am just making my orders. I've decided to cut right back on attending shows this year, which has taken alot of pressure off in the production of display bears, but in turn, my website really has nothing new to offer either. I have to take my hat off to everyone that creates a new bear every week, I really don't know how they do it!!!
My suggestion, just go with the flow, it will happen when the time is right, no use pushing the issue when your subconscious is just not interested!!!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Lisa I know what you mean!  I take a medication and one of the side effects is lack of focus... oh boy.. like I needed THAT   :doh:   Oh well...

One thing that helps me is to keep a couple of my bears back from my website.  Seeing some of my finished bears certainly helps keep me going!

Another thing that helps is my dogs' schedule.  One of our Girls - Isis - has a heart condition and must take medicine.  One of those is Lasik (sp?) so she has to go out more than the others.  I found that by keeping her on a schedule for going out (rather than "as needed") does a great job at preventing accidents in the house. 

Since I have scheduled times when I HAVE to be doing something else... it usually helps me to get bear work done.

Oh... if my studio is messy... forget it!  I can't motivate myself to do anything!  I just cleaned and re-organized yesterday so I can't wait to get back to bear making today!  bear_grin

K Pawz Guest

I find sorting and cleaining my studio really helps me get motivated...and also if I am having a real good mental block I pack up the dogs and go to the park, by the time I am back the fresh air has blown away the cobwebs and I am ready to start fresh!
I will also avoid workign on custom work if I am feeling a bit un motivated, I find working on something that I want to do really helps as well...I sometimes find the custom work a bit tedious because I am making what someone else wants me to, not what my creative spirit wants.
Hugs,
Krista

WhimzeeBearz Whimzee Bears
Moonee Ponds, Victoria

I struggled with the same thing for a few months last year and found the more I tried to force motivation the worse it became and the more pressure I felt.  So I just gave up and went with the flow.  It's amazing the ideas that came to me from the most unlikely places and then once I started on one of those ideas there was no stopping me and now I've gone off in the opposite direction....starting so many projects I can't keep up with myself.  So I guess the key is to r-e-l-a-x

chris009av Real Deal Bears

It might be the wether Lisa, I have been feeling like that all this summer. 
One thing that got me going was to jump in and do a Challenge here on TT.
I found it very exciting just being involved, it was great getting the brain ticking over again.
And what I enjoyed most was being involved with fellow bear artists.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Lisa you have a show coming up and classes to do, stop procrastinating and get on with the bears :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: There that should get you going bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle all last year when I couldn't do them I had so many ideas and was wanting to get in there, now I feel that I can sew some, I am not getting much done at all bear_sad

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.  Over the last 6 months I have been renovating my house, mainly my kitchen and my hubby installed some of the 'old' cupboards in my sewing room.  I really didn't do any sewing for about 4 of those months using the disorganization as an excuse and now that it is organised again I still lack motivation.  I tried looking at old bear magazines and came across an article about Paula Carter (late 1990's) and a few others. 
I usually have to be under pressure to work ie have a deadline looming but there are no deadlines.

Now I will just have to go with the flow or I might try rearranging again! bear_original

How do you procrastinate?

ciderantiques Ciderantiques and Old Soul Bears
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi Lisa,  I haven't made a lot of bears . .  . but boy do I have a lot of supplies.  I have far more virtual bears than completed bears.  I have found that a "Teddy Bear Tea" with a friend that also has a project to finish, combined with a "show and tell" helps.    We agree on a date to meet and bring along our finished (or close to finished) projects for show and tell.  Sometimes they are bears, sometimes not.   Everyone usually has something to finish up  . . . so we sew as we chat and enjoy our visit.  It is less formal than a club.  Much more relaxing to just call it a Coffee or Tea with friends.   I find that a hint of a deadline helps . . . with something to look forward to at the same time.     It has helped me to complete several projects lately.   Good Luck,  Karen.

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

Patsy
Is that in April???  bear_grin  bear_grin    AND it is only 8 weeks away!!!!  At about 3 weeks I will panic and you will hear me then!!!   bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Are you trading?

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I treat myself to a magazine for inspiration. My favorite is Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion. I love that it always has a focus on an artist or artists. I always get motivated after I look at the magazine. The February issue is great.

I also like the idea of cleaning up and reorganizing the workspace. I forget what kinds of fabrics and trinkets I have crammed in my desk.

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

Karen I think you have just answered it for me!
I do have a fortnightly night with 2 friends that has been going for over 12 years!!!  And we are as bad as each other. 

I also use to teach weekly class (from 1995-2006) until 18 months ago and I think the lack of contact with bear people has a lot to do with my slump.  I have been working 4 days per week at  a University College for just over 2 years and last year I hardly traded at any bear shows as well. 
As well as teaching I organised a bear show and had a lot of contact with the Australian bear industry.
Thank you again!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Well,

Aren't we lucky to be living our dreams?  But even living our dream doesn't mean we don't need to recharge our batteries now and then.

Life,like bear making, like doll making, is a process. 

Sometimes just enjoying the process, and watching how our little minds work is enough for that day.

and sometimes one day runs into two runs onto three.......

If that happens go back and reread Party's message, and get off your little patootie and get back to work.....

I always tell myself: you could be cleaning toilets at a public school you know!

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website
Dilu wrote:

If that happens go back and reread Pasty's message, and get off your little patootie and get back to work.....

I always tell myself: you could be cleaning toilets at a public school you know!

Thanks Dilu -  bear_grin  bear_grin

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Yes Lisa I am trading and I just hope I have enough new bears to take. I hadn't realised you had finished at the school Lisa? You not doing classes at Gerry's any longer?

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

Just after I came back from Japan in 2005 I started working 4 days - Monday to Thursday.  I just couldn't manage teaching and working!  Also Gerry's have moved to the Gold Coast!  Too far for me!

Board footer