Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I have so enjoyed looking at the thread Shelli started with everyone's workspaces.  And while there are a lot of things that I love about my workspace, there are some things I would change if I could. I wonder if others feel the same way.
So, if money and space were not an object, what would your dream studio be like?

I'll go first. Like my current studio, my dream studio would have several workstations, one for sculpting and painting another for sewing, another for cutting etc. Also like my current studio, it would have loads of storage for books magazines and supplies, and plenty of space to display my work and bears and dolls I've collected. Sounds like I already have my dream studio, doesn't it? Well, I am thankful for all that I have, but there is one thing I "need" that I do not have. It is a psychological need, but I need natural light and a view. So my dream studio would have big windows overlooking a wooded back yard. And while I am dreaming, I think I'll add a mini kitchen. I don't mean for fixing a snack while I work  bear_laugh although that's a good thought too! I'd like an oven for baking my polymer clay, and a stovetop for dying mohair, and a sink for cleaning my airbrush, paintbrushes, and washing my hands. I'd like a tile or hardwood floor for easy sweep ups and so I don't have to worry about paint accidents. It would be great if it were big enough that when my children want to work on a project along side of me, they could do it. (It would be lovely to have company.) Perhaps one of the "workstations" could even be a comfy chair and ottoman near my big window for hand sewing or needle felting.

Hey, it could happen! bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Good grief, an opportunity to dream big!

My dream studio would be almost a conservatory, a separate outbuilding on my property surrounded by flowers but with a roof to keep temperatures comfortable.  A great view to a beautifully manicured yard would be a must (yeah, like THAT'S ever gonna happen. bear_original

I'd have a u-shaped workspace entirely clear of clutter, with wall shelves which someone ELSE hung over the desktop area so important stuff was within arm's reach, but not in my way while I work.

There'd be separate stations for messy art projects involving paint and ink; sewing; and sculpting; and I'd be able to leave all three set up so I could work on projects simultaneously.

Last, there'd be a separate cutting table, maybe an island in the center of it all?, where I could lay out patterns and huge swaths of fabric.

Ah, how sweet, to dream! bear_original

puca bears puca bears

Dream on, Maria..........
what I would love is an ACTUAL studio..............I'm one of those poor souls who alternate between the dining table and a comfy chair in the lounge...............and bear bits are stashed all over the place.......the spare room is chockablock, and to save myself running up and down stairs all the time (three story house), I have a stash in the middle floor bathroom as well ( it's OK - we have a bathroom on all three floors).
But oh - I would love a big room opening onto the garden, and enough space to leave things lying around!
huggies
Maria

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, I can't tell you how many times I've pondered on my dream studio... bear_whistle

First, it would be in a post and beam barn.... well insulated of course.... on the property with our home but not attached. The front would be a showroom or small shop for visitors. not very big but big enough. Off that would be a class room with windows, lots of outlets, white boards and felt boards on the walls and a closet. Then we'd come to my studio... my HUGE studio! bear_original There would be lots and lots of windows plus lots of aritficial lighting with those lights they use in the high end fabric stores to show true color. I work a lot at night.

There would be at least 4 work stations... one or two would be counter height, not table height.... I'm sick of SITTING all the time! There would be a couple of big wooden work tables in the middle of the room, lots of built in shelves, an extra wide closet with shelves and lighting and folding doors. A large built in desk with shelving around it, file drawers, etc.  A stereo and tv with DVD player. A permanantly set up photo booth, perhaps in a room off the studio. A good sized bathroom would have not only a toilet but a big basin sink and I want one of those old fashioned stove top/oven/fridge/sink units. I had one in a tiny little apartment I rented once... it was so cute and served it's purpose! Flooring in there would be lenolium (sp?)... easy to bleach after I make a mess dyeing! The rest of the barn would be wide board pine... I love the character it takes on as it ages. BUT... hmm... can your have radiant heat under wood? Because I'd want radiant heat. There'd be hooked and braided rugs around too.

Hanging on the walls would be framed wildlife photos hubs and I have taken along with old quilts and the like. And outside.... flower gardens full of perennials that are low maintainence (although if I'm dreaming I guess I could throw in a [INVALID] gardner! LOL!) and bird feeders. A gazebo where I could take some hand work out to do on nice days. And a fenced in area off the back of the barn where my studio is so the dogs can go out and play. They'd have a doggy gym to play on and a sheltered/roofed area too.

bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

I've also dreamed of having a similar set up... shop in front, classroom and large studio in back... but having it in an old victorian house on the Main Street in a quaint little town amongst other neat shops, cafes, etc. I'd be happy either way!

That was a fun break from reality, Tami! Thanks! Can't wait to visit everyone else's Dream Studios! bear_thumb

clare14 Country Bears
England

Aleta's.   bear_thumb

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Ohh Tami, I think I like your dream studio.. heehee. I would love one that has lots of windows, with a walk out screened porch so I can sit outside in the summer and not be annoyed by wasps or mosquitos. I would like one large enough to have my painting and drawing stuff out, my sculpting things. Like you I would like a stove and sink to dye fabric so I don't have to make a mess of everything else. A large cutting table... a BIG shelf where I can keep all my mohair out where I can see it (and stroke it and hug it  bear_grin  :crackup: ). I would like part of the studio to display my collection... Oh and and place to work on my Doll house and miniatures. A big comfy chair so when people come to visit me they stay for more than 5 mins.. lol. A photo station that I can leave set up.
heehee, this is pretty funny really, I think we all have similar wants. bear_original I am happy with my current studio though! it is a million times better since we moved... it would be nice to have some windows though.  bear_whistle Maybe I'll have to move upstairs after the 3rd floor is done  bear_grin

Can't wait to see what others are dreaming of!
Bear Hugs!

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Ooh Daphne, I love the shop in the front idea.. that would be a perfect idea bear_original

Hugs!
Melanie

K Pawz Guest

OH I have thought about this so many times! First off it would be an enclosed area with surrond windows, and the ceiling would have skylights, and it would look out onto an amazing view! Oh yeah and for some reason I always dream of my studio with a loft, although I don't know just yet what I would use it for?? It would also have storage galore, all labelled and and everything would have its place. I would have a sewing machine station, an airbrushing station, a photography area (possibly a seperate adjoining room) proper racks for mohair and fabrics....a huge working table in the middle of everything, and a computer station....a bathroom handy, as well as a fridge, and sink!

Another thing my dream studio would have is an area for the dogs beds, a door opening into a fenced yard for them, so that they could spend the day with me and come and go as they please.

Hugs,
Krista

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

In a word - ORGANIZED

Actually, my dream studio would be a little log cabin a short way from the house with an attached "green house" growing room.  I hope that makes sense.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

DSC01048.JPGWell I actually have my dream studio.....its a small but real house, used to be mom's and she only used it for 6 months.

there is one huge bedroom that has been outfitted with industrial shelving that holds the largest clear plastic bins full of fabric 2 bins deep.....then there is a huge window where the sewing table is and I get to watch bears and deer, and fox and all sorts of little forest kritters go meandering by, stopping for a drink at the horse watering thing my honey got, it keeps the water clean and full.

Then the bathroom is really a photography room; the huge special disabled shower has turned into a giant light tent The light bounces all around the small room-and I am actually taking pretty good piccys, finally

Then what was the kitchen now houses the baby kiln, tons of molds, but not the kind oregon is famous for, the plaster kind that I get to use to pour porcelain dolls

and the livingroom?  its the greenware cleaning, porcelain painting, put your feet up and ponder projects space.

and the island in-between?  the cutting table, and it also houses so many tools.

The windows show trees and kritters, the only sound is the wind,

and while I would have liked mom to live in the house longer, as it was built just for her, I do admidt that I love this space and live here during the day, and sometimes half the night.  There are artist bears and dolls hanging on the walls or sitting on the floors....its just big enough to have several things going at one time.  Which is good, as porcelain takes a long time to fire.....

I truly am grateful and have nothing to complain about

My hope is that all of us find our dream studio

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

This is interesting - I love reading about everyone's dream studio.  Funny thing is, there is a beautiful house in Newcastle, on Lake Ontario, that is my dream.  We drive by it all the time and I drool.   The main house is huge and is a pale buttercup yellow, with tons of window and I just love it.  Better yet, it has another small matching cottage on the property, that they are using for an antiques business, and every time we drive by, I envision us having that property and the little cottage being my studio!  I haven't been inside yet, but as soon as it opens in the spring, I am going for a visit for antiquing AND to check out the little cottage.  AHHHHH dream on!

hugs,

Brenda

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I have to say either Aleta's or Dilu's they both sound ideal

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hey now!  I heard my name mentioned......you girlies are too sweet!  bear_flower   Believe me though, the state at which my studio is in right now would make a neatnicks head spin!  Living between two houses certainly has had it's challenges.  I now have two studios.  My bear studio and Flourishes.  Both are in a state of organized chaos in two different states!!!  Hopefully soon, this too shall pass.
bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Aleta I can't wait to see photo's of all this.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
Melbear wrote:

Ohh Tami, I think I like your dream studio.. heehee. I would love one that has lots of windows, with a walk out screened porch so I can sit outside in the summer and not be annoyed by wasps or mosquitos. I would like one large enough to have my painting and drawing stuff out, my sculpting things. Like you I would like a stove and sink to dye fabric so I don't have to make a mess of everything else. A large cutting table... a BIG shelf where I can keep all my mohair out where I can see it (and stroke it and hug it  bear_grin  :crackup: ). I would like part of the studio to display my collection... Oh and and place to work on my Doll house and miniatures. A big comfy chair so when people come to visit me they stay for more than 5 mins.. lol. A photo station that I can leave set up.
heehee, this is pretty funny really, I think we all have similar wants. bear_original I am happy with my current studio though! it is a million times better since we moved... it would be nice to have some windows though.  bear_whistle Maybe I'll have to move upstairs after the 3rd floor is done  bear_grin

Can't wait to see what others are dreaming of!
Bear Hugs!

Melanie it does sound like we have a similar dream. My studio needs a place for my dollhouse too!
My dream is getting bigger the more I read! Keep the ideas coming!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

If money were no object, I'd hire interior designers who designed the work studios of the likes of Vera Wang, Valentino,  Badgley Mishka....When watching the style network, I ogle the work studio's of these designers. They have huge swatch boards, long hallways with books, lighted work tables, separate cutting, sewing stations. And the sewing notions they have all organized in rooms.....So that is what I'd do.

Oh, and I agree with Shelli, lots of flowers and beautiful topography for my studio. And with a lot of windows.....

But that is in my dreams....I have to settle for a computer/craft/guest bedroom.....

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I'm working on this right now as hubster is finally finishing the room we've been using for storage up until now.  It's 23 by 16 so I'll probably put my desks and things at the far end of the room in front of the window with a lake view, and my exercise equipment in the other end.  Maybe I'll take a treadmill break while making my bears, huh?  Ya think? 

My problem is that there won't be a closet in this room.  When we sell the house (which we are doing this year) we'll describe this room as a media/game/exercise room.  So, I'll be walking back and forth to the bedroom, which is now my sewing room, for supplies.  I'll keep the essentials near my desk, though.  Also, I'm going to have to keep it neat and tidy because our house will be on the market.  Eeeek, that won't be easy for me.  I'm a very messy worker.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Patty - You won't need to use that treadmill if you are walking back and forth to the bedroom for supplies! There.... good excuse, eh?? bear_laugh

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

My dream studio.... Well... It would be a room attached to the house.. big windows for light and plenty of over head light. It would have a tall pattern cutting table in the middle of the room so my back doesn't feel like it will break at any second!  It would have a sewing and overlocking/serger table with a wheely high back chair so I can roll around the room without having to get up and move the chair. It would have another work station right next to it... for trimming, jointing etc. Plenty of shelving above the tables, with tools and threads. It would have glass door cupboards to store fabric in one and mohair in the other. I would also have a camping stove and sink for dying fabrics and washing my hands.  At one side of the studio it would have A cat run about 6 ft long and high by about 4ft wide, with a cat flap to an bigger outside run. That way I can have cat company, without her having to sit on my lap, work, fabric piles, patterns or on my laptop! Plus running around around with peices of fabric or thread! It would have wooden floors and heating and air con. I can't stand warm rooms while working, gets me agitated!

My work station at the moment, Its a dinning room, with little to no storage, fabric everywhere and a table that basicly takes up all the room! I would just LOVE to leave my sewing machine out all the time!

Ah... dreams dream dreams!

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

My dream studio - one that is clean and tidy (dream on)!

Katrina's Miniatures Katrina's Miniatures
Website

It would be nice to have a studio.  Right now, I have a bedroom with all of my stuff stored under my bed!  Thank goodness I make minis!

I've thought a lot about what I would like.  I'd like a nice, big room with drawers all on one side.  They'd hold thread, fabrics, fillings, eyes, accessories, and would keep my Legos organized (yes, that's right, Legos).  I'd also have to have a storage cabinet for big pieces of fabric and batting, so I could make quilts too.  I'd need a sewing table for my machine and current projects, then I'd need a Lego table for building models on.  I'd also need a place to display models.  I'd need an ironing board, and an area to work with clay and other crafty things.  Then, in my living room, I'd need a comfy chair, TV, and DVD player for hand-sewing, plus a table with drawers next to the chair, so I could stash whatever I'm working on in there.  Of course, I would need lots of big windows, and an area for taking pictures.  I'd love a great view of the woods, or maybe of a lake or river, with a dock and a canoe.  I'd also have a well-trained dog and cat.  On the walls, I'd have quilts and cool pictures or posters.  Oh, I'd also have an Ott-Lite in there somewhere.
I'm sure I could come up with more cool stuff to do with my dream studio, but it's time for me to stop dreaming and go to class.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

:crackup: I like everyone else would love a large room only for my crafts and bear making.  I always did it in my bedroom, or the living room and I had mohair in boxes and here and there.  Then I had to get my house ready for selling so all my stuff is now in storage, I have pulled out some little stuff to do, but then I have to go back and forth to the storage space or buy new.  I hate that I have had to put my bear making on hold for almost a year.  I am doing the black and white challenge tho.  but a nice large room with plenty of storage space with glass cabinet doors to be able to see inside,  and table for the sewing machine or serger, paints, etc, we could go on and on. My next house will have a room especially for me and the bears, it might be a 2 x 4 but it will be special! :crackup:  :crackup:

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I would have to have a long think of what my dream studio would look like although I would like it to have some lovely pieces of furniture.The main thing for me would be stacks of cupboard space so that I would have as many different pieces of mohair that I could possibly have-I would be happy with a few hundred pieces bear_grin
Laurie :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Studio2.jpgStudio1.jpgFor all of you sweethearts that mentioned my name.......this is my NEW studio space!  Pretty empty, huh?  I still have to paint the floors and walls before I move in.  It's a work in progress to be sure!!  It's at least twice the size of my studio in the Portland house, has a walk-in closet and wonderful southern exposure...so lots and lots of light!  It also has a deck, a view of the river over into Oregon, fantastic sunsets, and city lights at night.  I may never want to leave this room!!  Like I said though, it's a work in progress.  It may be awhile before I can actually work in it.

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

WOW that is fantasic. I'm a bit GREEN.
I wish I wish. I want to build on in a few years as with 4 kids now we need a extra family room and bathroom. I mentioned to Warren PLEASe can we fit a bit studio in our plans with heaps of light. I am hoping for a big room up stairs away from everyone over looking the Port noarlunga sand dunes, beach and river. That would be fantastic. DREAMING  :pray:

Board footer