Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Barney.jpgI'm just about to burst. We're picking up a new Scottie this afternoon.  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub   Must have been meant to be as I found a Collie and Scottie breeder only about 30 miles from here up the hill in Desert Hot Springs. They breed Collies and Scotties and show both. They had a new litter of 6 wheaten pups in January and I emailed about those. But they were keeping those to evaluate for show and that can take six months or longer and she had a waiting list for those not destined for the show ring so it didn't seem likely there'd be one for us.

But...she said, she had a brindle boy about a year old who had been held for show evaluation and for whatever reason it didn't work out. He was almost placed once, but that didn't work out either because the lady had no experience with Scotties.

We're picking him up this afternoon and I'm just so excited. They've been calling him Barney. I don't know if we'll keep the name or not. We don't want to confuse him.

I'm so hoping he and Harley get along well. Harley's pretty social so I think he'll like a little brother. I just hope Barney likes us. We've never taken anything but a puppy so I don't know how difficult the adjustment may be for him.

This is his picture on their website but he's a little younger there than he is now. Here's the website...just in case you love looking at puppies like I do. Barney's under Puppies with a note that he's currently interviewing for a new family. Oh, I hope he likes us.

http://afterglow.homestead.com/puppies.html

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

What a cutie, you will love him, terriers are sooooooooooo smart! Barney is a cute name, he looks just like famous Barney in the White House!! I know you will give him a loving home and that he will fall in love you also! Lets us know how he does once he gets home.

puca bears puca bears

Oh how exciting for you!!!!!! He looks delightful - a real sweetie - and I'm sure it will be love at first sight all round.
I hope everything goes well.......and can't wait for more piccies!
big huggies
Maria

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Oh I LOVE puppies!  Pictures pictures picture please!!!

lulu sweet souls
canton, new york

Hi Marlys!
No wonder you're excited!  A new baby!  I'm sure the two boys will be great friends - terriers love to play.  Barney looks like a sweetheart.
And as Judi has already said - please post pictures!
Have a safe trip and good luck,
Louisa

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Marlys,

I just adore Scotch Terriers - they are the most beautiful little dogs.
You are so lucky and I bet you are getting excited about having your new baby.
Please show us photos when you can, would love to see him so we can goo and gaaa over him.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Marlys I am SO very happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

3 of our 5 girls were adopted as adults and we've had no problems!  We introduced them in neutral territory and kept them supervised while together for many days.  It's worked every time for us.  We do happen to crate our Girls when we are gone just to keep them safe.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Marlys, that's wonderful!  Good for you!  I"m sure everything will work out great.

hugs,

Brenda

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

Hello Marly,

How exciting.
Please do post pictures when you have him all settled down in his new home.
Hugs,
Penney

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

That's such great news, I hope it all works out for you!!  We adopted our male beagle from the Humane Society when he was 2.  He had been adopted out and brought back 3 times before we found him.  Each time it didn't work out for various reasons (allergies or he wasn't housetrained enough...poor thing had been in the pound for nearly 5 months, of course he needed a refresher on housetraining!!) But it all worked out for us in the end.  Like Laura Lynn suggested above, we used nuetral grounds for doggie introductions and supervised everything until we were sure that things were "normal everyday" again.
When it's a good match you'll just know  bear_flower  :hug:

:hug:
~Chrissi

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

He's handsome!
Pictures and a full report of how things are going is a must you know!!  :photo:

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Well, today I'm a little down. I'd held off telling anyone about Barney for several weeks while we dealt with this woman because I didn't want to jinx it. But I was bursting yesterday and wanted to share and since we were going to pick him up in a few hours, I felt safe in letting everyone know. Unfortunately, we didn't get Barney.

About 15 minutes before we left to drive up to her place, she called and told me Barney had just not been acting right and her groomer/handler was there yesterday and after she saw him, she advised he wasn't suitable for anyone. He gets on fine with her family, but I guess he's very aggressive with others and did, infact, lunge for her friend and is aggressive with the other dogs even though he's neutered. She had placed him at 6 months with a woman who brought him back after a couple of months. She thinks maybe something happened during that time that changed his behavior.

I was so disappointed. She invited us up to see her 9-week old litter of wheatens. I thought there were six, but the mama had 7 pups...a big litter for a Scottie. But they were adorable and friendly and just so cute. They'd gotten their first puppy groom that day. We were able to play with them for about an hour while we talked. She's keeping these to evaluate over the next several months, and she does have a wait list, but she told us if she'd keep us in mind for one of these in case one of the wait list decides not to go ahead with the purchase.

She has a brindle female currently in Washington having a brief affair with a handsome black boy so maybe down the line, 9 or 10 months, one of them might go to a companion home. And we be higher on the list.

We saw a black female and black male on our way out and they were just beautiful. The male was Little Man and he just loved us all over, so did the female. I can't remember her name, it was a Dutch name.

We came away impressed with the new litter and the other two we saw. She wouldn't even show us Barney. So I guess Barney wasn't meant to be and maybe sometime in the next year she will have one available for us.

I am disappointed. We'd have taken any one of the puppies or the two black one, but those two were show dogs. But many soon I will have good news to share. Thanks all for caring and sharing my excitement, even if short lived.

puca bears puca bears

Oh Marlys - I am so sorry for you - you must be so disappointed..........but then it seems it just wasn't meant to be.
And the breeder was doing the right thing - you don't want to be saddled with an aggressive dog. 
The right time WILL come..........
and as an aside - we are just watching a report from the Crufts Dog show - all about Neapolitan Mastiffs - imagine having a 16 STONE dog!!!!!!!!!!!! How on earth would anyone be able to hang onto the end of it's lead???????
And guess who's husband WANTS one.........
big huggies - I really do feel for you
Maria

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

I am sorry to hear that Barney did not work out and I hope it won't be long before you
find another little Scottie.
Sending hugs your way  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Board footer