Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I've been hard at work attempting to recreate a head for this poor headless mink bear, Ichabod.   bear_grin   I wondered if it would be safe to invert the head joint?  I've never done it like that, only done the traditional locknut hardboard disc joint with the head joint pointed downwards into the body.  However, I'm hoping to ladder stitch a bit of reinforced ultrasuede into the neck and then joint it to the head.  If I flip the locknut bolt upside down, I could leave a hole in the head and tighten the new joint from that point and then stuff and close the head. 

I've never done it that way, but I'm loathe to open the back seam.  Do you think the bolt would hold upside down?  Or do you feel over time it might give way?  I don't wan tthe poor thing to lose its head after all this effort.  bear_flower

Teddy Tales My Teddy Tales
Massachusetts

Hi Debbie, I know I'm not an expert, but I don't think you would have a problem. If you use a lock nut you'll be fine. If I'm wrong someone please correct me!
                  Louise

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I don't see why that wouldn't work, Debbie. I use set screws for my neck joints so I have locnuts on both ends of the screw. Neither the one in the head nor the one in the body have ever come loose on me. So your method should work.
bear_thumb

Thanks for the reassurance  :hug:  The less invasion I do, the happier I'll be  bear_thumb

Doriane Neverland dolls & bears
Website

Did the 'Upside down' head joint work ?  bear_original

I'm having to wait for the fur before I can recreate the head and repair him.  I promise before and after pics once he's finished  bear_flower

Board footer