Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hello everyone!
I'm a newbie to TT and recently started making teddies again. (And am just loving it!!!) bear_original
I have some different materials I'd like to try using, like tweeds.
I've been sketching out patterns for a roughly 14 inch bear with a good sized tummy.  I would like the front of body to be seamless.  I've read some of your previous topics on 2, 3, and 4 part bodies.  The seamless front was touched on, but not much...unless I missed it somewhere. 
So, what do you all think of a seamless front  ..for a chubby bear, who can't keep his paws out of the honey pot?   bear_shocked    Using darts, I guess is a given, but can it really be done?   
Thanks so much!!!
Laura

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Welcome to TT.
I have one pattern that is a one piece front with a two piece back.  I use darts at the neck and at the bottom.  It is a pretty flat tummy because I was using a fabric that I wanted a flat smooth tummy.  I think it would work to just make bigger, deeper darts.  Add in fuller tummy sides.  Play with it on paper towels you should be able to get there.
Good Luck,
Donna

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

catbelly.jpgLaura,
Here's one of my cats with a round belly. This is a 3 piece body (I think for a wider bear you might want a fourth side). The trick is to put a belly curve in the side body pattern. The center piece will take that curve and show a belly. You can also enhance the roundness with darts, but I haven't had to do this with the cats.
Karen

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I have a  Japanese book with several patterns for chubby tummied bears that have a one piece body,  and the finished result looks great in the pics. Like you say, darts are involved, but I think it would be reasonably easy to figure it out if you already design patterns.

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Oh thank you one & all!   bear_original
I really appreciate all your ideas and help.  I really like the idea of using paper towels.  And I'll dart more strategically and deeper.
I was thinking of a 3 piece body, as suggested.  I usually work with 2 piece bodies, sometimes but not too often a 4 piece.  And I've always used a center front seam but really want to explore the seamless front.  Trial and error, and error.. 
I made a pattern today, but it wound up with a front seam.  I want a tubby bear!  I'll probably use a fur for this guy.  (I already see it as a him.) 
I use a huge pad of newsprint paper (newspaper-paper) which I scribble away on.  It's cheap!  Which is really good, since I just re-entered the wonderful world of teddy bears.  I forgot a lot, but memories are lurking.
So thank you again.  You are the best!
Laura

Board footer