Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

a woman from the UK has emailed me and asked for a raffle item to help buy her daughter ( severly handicaped ) a wheelchair lift.
she is a bit far from me and its not a good time for me financially to do this after my husbands surgery etc,,,but i am wondering if its legit?
deb

mjbears mjbears
northants

i must say i have never heard of this before i would check her out a little 1st before even thinking of anything like this, i would ask to see proof of her daughters disability etc what organisation the raffle will be for whom to send the raffle item and what charity and check the charity out as well hope this helps melissa, if its legit then ok but most certainly i would not depart with anything unless legit maybe there has been a newspaper editiing about her daughter or raffle etc

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Yes, I had it..and I deleted it...my instinct tells me it's a scam..and, if it isn't as scam it's a shame because it looks like one. There is no proof of anything ..nothing you could verify..it wasn't even signed by anyone.
I won't get involved in this kind of thing...it looks decidedly dodgy to me. I think that this kind of thing doesn't help anyone in the long run.

Fairfax,Vermont

Thank you Jenny and Melissa..that was my feeling but boy they know how to tug at your heartstrings dont they?! what a scummy way
to raise money! deb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

"Tugging at your heart strings" is the whole idea. There are a lot of suckers out there and these creeps hope to find at least enough of them to give money so they can really pay off their gambling debt, credit cards, buy a fancy car, support their drug habit, etc.

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi,

Yes, I have received the email and so have quite a few other girls too.  As discussed elsewhere, the general impression is that this is definitely a scam and I am ignoring it along with several other people.

Marilyn

Fairfax,Vermont

i hate to be suspicious all the time..but nowadays you just have to be...thanks again everyone! im deleting it also! deb

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

Me too, i had this email today and it is now deleted.

Hugs  :hug:
Vicki

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Isn't there some police site you can send the email to?
I had a fake paypal the other week. It was very professionally done. But was missing one piece of detail, so I looked on my paypal site to see if it was from them but couldn't find anything resembling so I sent the email to Paypal and a few days later they said thankyou that is was not a legitimate email. I gather they give the email to the federal police and they take it from there.
What this 'raffle' person is doing is fraud and I gather that is a federal offence?
So don't just delete/ignore it. Send it to the police.
Wendy

edspencer tEDDIE bears
Wichita, Ks.

Hi Deb -

I got the email (exactly the same) Easter Sunday.  I think it's a fake and I just deleted it.

Ed

mjbears mjbears
northants

as ex police i would firstly never send a reply to these awful emails and maybe phone the police not on there emergency number obviously...  and ask to report it they will then give you an incident crime ref number and look into it i dont think there is a department that you can send these through as they woulkd be totally bogged down with this sort of email but it is definately worth repoting in this case as fraud regards melissa

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I did not get that one, but another one.  My reply is always that I do all my charity donations thru Mission Fish on Ebay. 

In order to be registered with Mission Fish they must be a registered 503c Charity organization registered with the government. 

If it's a scam, that will most likely scare them off  bear_whistle

Fairfax,Vermont

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE INPUT! GREAT ADVICE! ED WHAT A CUTE MOUSIE!  DEB

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

iv had it toooo, if you actualy have alook on her sight, theres no actual details, if i were donating anything, id want more info, a definate scam!!!

Board footer