Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

This is something I have been thinking of lately especially with the question coming at from a collector at a show.

With mohair teddy bears you can brush out the mohair and get rid of dirt and fluff to maintain it in a good appearance /condition, even using soap and water to brush out the hair

With a needle felted mohair how would you get rid of the dust and fluff- I would imagine you could use a hair dryer to
blow away dust, however over time dust will be come embedded and here you are not able to brush it out or wash it away.

Any ideas, suggestions.

Lynette

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Well that stumped everyone!
A damp cloth I would suppose.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

yes I have been wondering about this and saw no ideas popping up. If I was a collector I think this is a question I would be asking as I know how dusty bears can become over a period of time.

Lynette

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

What about one of those computer vacuums?

Hugs &

nandesign Posts: 361

I have lots of needle felting around...I keep a lot of it behind glass...that really helps cut down on the dusting...other than that, I use the vacuum with a small nozzle end piece and I also use a damp lint-free cloth. I have had pieces sitting out in my studio for weeks and they just need a little light vacuum...hope this helps.

Hugs,Nancy bear_flower

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, on firmly felted critters I use a piece of scotch tape..... not packing tape or anything super sticky... just sticky enough to grab dust.

Bobbie MUST have an answer for us... where is she??

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Well, on firmly felted critters I use a piece of scotch tape..... not packing tape or anything super sticky... just sticky enough to grab dust.

Bobbie MUST have an answer for us... where is she??

AAArrrrrgggggggghhh & GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - I've been fighting with Word since 2 o'clock, and just lost all of my revisions.. Don't ask. I'm 'chiliin' w/ TT for some Peace so I can go read a good book in bed.

Don't ever use moisture with them - it's like adding water to the concrete mix - you get cement.

You'll end up with some of the dust sticking to the  dampened fiber.
A blowing device will also embed more fiber/dust deeper than it will blow off.
Tape is a good way to raise a little bit of fuzz, so unless you want a fuzzy look on a formerly smooth pc, I'd avoid tape.
It also won't reach the dust settled down into the fibers cuz unlike mohair, which has a backing/base, there is no 'base' to our fiber. 

Nancy got it mostly right - picture this: you want the dust to come back off/out of the surface. What tool pulls toward you?
Your vacuum. I use my full sized one, with an old knee-high rubber-banded over the wand head. And then my fingers are splayed over that. Enough air get sucked up to do a good job.

In case anything should be lightly needled or lightly attached, the 2 barriers will keep your vacuum from eating it.

If you handle your pieces a lot, you should be conscious of having those hands that Julia Child spoke of: impeccably clean!
The oils in your hands won't be obvious but over time will leave a film which will hold dust even firmer. Like that little spill on the rug or upholstery, which 'looked' like it got all cleaned up, but soon shows a dark dusty bit.

Also, when working with anything tiny, like those 2 mm and 1.6 mm eyes, I drop them. They go right into the cracks in this room's old pine flooring. A couple of times a year, I put a knee-high (nylon) over the wand and suck everything out. Hold the wand over an empty bowl or box and cut the power. Everything will drop into the bowl and you can retrieve what you might want.

Life's too short to chase down tiny beads!!!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I new that Bobbie was in hiding and would come out soon.
Bobbie do you have an antenna on your head and when the word -Help needle felting- it starts to ping.

As I mentioned this was a question which was brought up by a collector at a show and - I believe that if you are selling a product you have to be able to answer all questions related to it.

Once again thanks to TT answers have been given with Bobby being right up in the front.

Thanks
Lynette

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

You're welcome - it comes from sad experience (don't ask..) - always the Best Teacher! 

There may be a set of antennae that pings - I just know when I need a zone-out fix, and TT fulfills it!

nandesign Posts: 361

Thanks Bobbie...I, like you, have sold a lot of needle felting and have never had a problem with a collector wondering how to clean it....great question, by the way, Lynette.
The damp, lint-free cloth is mainly used for the accessories, such as a bell, or a ribbon or eyes etc...I agree with Bobbie...damp doesn't help the wool. In fact, if you get it too wet, you will get that musty smell until it dries.

Hugs,
Nancy bear_flower

Board footer