Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi everyone, bear_flower
Ugh!  What a horrible feeling!   I opened my emails today to find an email, supposedly from an Ebay seller, saying that my "purchase" was waiting to be sent but they were awaiting my payment!!!  What payment???  What purchase??????  I felt myself go hot all over!! bear_cry

I have sent it to the "spoof department" (sounds like something from Ghostbusters) at ebay but am wondering whether I should be doing something else.  Do I just ditch this email in the bin or do I have to hang on to it as proof that I got it?

I have heard of other TT-ers having this happen to them, but when it's your first time, it's not a nice feeling! bear_cry

Any advice would be lovely please girls and boys, but I hope I have done the right thing.  Am I able to say here who the email was from or should that not be mentioned? 

Many thanks.

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Oh Marilyn,  don't panic! These are nasty little devils ... I've had stacks of them.  They are definitely spoofs ... I just delete mine these days.

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi,

Thank you so much Paula and Christine, I am feeling somewhat better about it all now and Ebay have already confirmed that it was a spoof.  I will be so prepared next time!

Trouble is, when you get something like this, that darn great yellow button which says 'RESPOND NOW" seems to really stand out and almost hit you in the face.  I wish Ebay would change it!  I am sure a lot of people must have the initial response to hit the blessed thing but luckily lovely helpful TT-ers who have had this problem before, have been kind enough to advise not to hit anything but to go straight to "MyEbay" and check there for your messages.

Many thanks to everyone who leaves helpful information on this wonderful site! :hug:

Hugs

Marilyn

WhimzeeBearz Whimzee Bears
Moonee Ponds, Victoria

Thankfully this has never happened to me....but what I don't get is why they want to access your ebay account in the first place.  What are they going to do with it once they have access???  Call me dumb but I can't see how it can benefit the spoofer in any way - so why??

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

It's happened to me several times, even afte I'd not used ebay for years. It's quite upsetting to receive one of these nasty things. I did as you did, sent it to spoof and deleted it.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have also found that when I get a "spoof" email from ebay there is a red exclamation point in front of their name.  When I see that I don't even bother to look anymore.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

No big deal ......you just forward them as spoof emails to ebay, I get 2 or 3 a week, it does get old.

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Just delete them Marilyn...I've had them too...and its ages since I have used ebay...so don't worry!! bear_flower

Hugs Yvonne  bear_flower

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

I've had hundreds over the years. I just delete them. I can't be bothered to even report them anymore.

Hugs,
Melanie

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi there, bear_flower

Many thanks for your replies and as it seems to be "much the norm" these days, I will be ready for them next time!!  bear_angry

Michelle, - I feel just the same as you and wonder why?

Hugs to you all. :hug:  :hug:

Marilyn bear_flower

karenaus Melbourne
Website
WhimzeeBearz wrote:

Thankfully this has never happened to me....but what I don't get is why they want to access your ebay account in the first place.  What are they going to do with it once they have access???  Call me dumb but I can't see how it can benefit the spoofer in any way - so why??

At least one plan once they get your account details, is to list things that people will snap up thinking they are getting a bargain, like those Laptop auctions, big tvs, fancy mountain bikes etc etc, and either have the payment go to a hijacked Paypal account (maybe the Ebay account owners if they use the same password for paypal)  or some other method like Western Union or money order. The scammer is long gone with the money by the time the buyer realises they have been ripped off.
   Often these listings have an offer to email the seller before you bid- that way they get the transaction off Ebay so the buyer has no protection.
  It's a pity these scammer can't aply themselves to legitimate legal ways to earn money .

Dilu Posts: 8,574

It is sad, and I am sorry that you had that moment of panic-sick feeling.  We've all had the feeling so we know what you went through.
Thankfully al'ls well.....and with ebay that can be quite something.

gollyhugs
dilu

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Dilu,  Thank you for your reply!

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Just delete them Marilyn - sad that people waste your time and theirs.

Sorry that you have come across these timewasters!

Warmest bear hugs
Carolyn
:hug:  bear_flower  :hug:

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Thank you Carolyn

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

Board footer