Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Some months ago, a bear owner contacted me and asked me if I could please repair her mink bear, mauled by her daughter's dog.  After a lot of trial heads, I created a pattern that suited him, and Kathy graciously found me some fur that matched Ichy's. 

The scary pic, Ichabod with Bearnard  bear_cry 

Ichyarrives_004.JPG

And now Ichy finally repaired:

Ichabodfinished_002.JPG

Ichabodfinished_005.JPG

Ichabod is the one I was asking about to flip the headjoint upside down.  I wanted to be as minimally invasive as possible, so what I did was sew in an ultrasuede disc over the joint.  Then I sewed an ultrasuede disc onto the head, and jointed the head from a hole left open on the back of the head.  Then I stuffed and ladderstitched the opening closed, and did the ears eyes and handscissoring as normal.

For the record, I've never had to repair a bear like this before, so this was totally out of my comfort zone.....and I never ever want to do this again!  Phew!!

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Debbie,

You did a wonderful job!!! I am sure the owner is going to be very pleased that you decided to take on the challenge and you were able to restore her bear.

Hugs,

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Debbie, you've done an amazing job on this poor baby. No one would ever know he'd been headless for a while.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

You did a fantastic job Debbie ! Don't you feel inspired now.  You took on the challenge and succeeded wonderfully.  Way to go !   bear_thumb

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

great job and his fur matches so well!!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

He looks great Debbie-you would never have known about his little mishap bear_thumb
Laurie :hug:

:hug:  Thank you all.  I've heard from his owner, and she's over the moon with his new look ~ phew!!  I'm always on pins and needles til they say they like custom work  :pray:

For now the little bear is partying with his friends in the Bear Room  :bday:  bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  A really fantastic job you did, Debbie . . . congratulations!

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Wonderful repair job Debbie. One would never know that at one point he was headless!!!!
Hugs
Gail

Jigpaws Jigpaws
Edinburgh, Scotland

Well done Debbie, you did a fantastic job with the repair  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

He looks wonderful!!!

Hugs
Janice

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: Great job done Debbie  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Thanks gals  :hug:   I'm in love with his new head, he has the most kissable nose  bear_wub   The first pic is pretty distressing, but it helps to see the damage that was done. 

I'll say it again ~ that was one extremely lucky dog to not be harmed!!!   bear_shocked   I know its awful to see, but Ichabod's head can be repaired, sometimes the doggies cannot.  I think its a miracle he didn't ingest the eyes or get sick from the embroidery floss.

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

Great Job Debbie.  Teddy looks perfect!!

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Wow, Debbie! Fantastic job! Ichabod now looks like he had never parted with his head. bear_laugh He has a very sweet face, and I'm so glad his owner is delighted with him. bear_thumb

~Debora

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

What a beautiful head you've made for him!  Well done!   :clap:  :clap:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original You did a great job, Debbie! It isn't easy to match fur.

Poor Ichy . . . a lesson to us all, I guess.

I wouldn't have been able to do it if it were not for the lovely Kathy Meyers on here to help me match the fur colour  :hug:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:   MEGGA thanks to you Kathy  bear_flower

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

You did a superb job! Ichy no longer looks scary. He's a real cutie now. :dance:

:hug:  Awwhhhh, thanks Matilda  :hug:

Board footer