No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

"AAHHH!!!  Mommy!!  It's a snake... A SNAKE!!!  It's a rattler!!  RUN!!!"

"Shhhh... honey, that's not a rattler, there's no rattle.  Let me see..."

"It's a copperhead!!!  RUN!!!"

After 15 to 20 minutes of throwing things at it because we can't find a hoe, even though we were GARDENING at the time...  it crawled under the house.  Oh great.

15 minutes after that, the dog had it cornered under the steps.

My brave 77 year old father... "Get a gun."

Yep... he shot it.

My cowardly 74 year old mother... "They come in twos..."

EEEKKK...  but no sign of another.

3 hours later the same big dumb dog is after something in the front yard under the bushes.  "What is it?  The other snake?"

"No mommy... it's... it's sorta bigger and black..."

"Ok... let me go look."

The dog is SHREADING something...  then jumps back fast... runs to the porch... MOUTH FOAMING.... 

OH THE SMELL!!!   Yep.  It was a skunk!!  And it sprayed him right in the mouth.   But it was either a baby or didn't get him too bad, because the smell didn't fill the house.  (No, the dog hasn't come in the house...)

I love the country.  I hope tomorrow is calm.

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Oh my goodness!!!!!  Not sure I could handle that - now I feel very lucky that the worst thing I have to cope with is moles digging up my lawn! bear_grin
Hugs,
Christine

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh Ann, boy I'm glad I don't get such visitors. Well living where you do certainly keeps you on your toes.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Sounds like way to much excitement in one day to me! LOL  bear_grin

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

We have a fair amount of snakes but fortunately non-venomous! Now - when the large workhorses get free on the lawn and various cows  come visit is a fun time. And have you ever tried to gather up pigs?

Marion

Dilu Posts: 8,574

But Ann they are sooooooo cute

They say Tomatoe sauce or soup gets the smell out of the dog.....

Probably wont be his last.... :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Whats that??

I am too blase about your country woes,

Nope, I am laughing because i am so glad for once it isn't me....but I do feel sorry for you!

"Comes in twos?"

Never heard that here,   I'll put it to the test this summer.....

sweetsmellingchanel5hugs

dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Entertaining story Ann. bear_laugh Did that really happen?

I love living in the country with all the wildlife....except the skunks bear_wacko

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Oh what a day.....that was an adventure to say the least. Glad I am not facing snakes and skunks on a daily basis. I'd be a wreck!!! Good luck for the rest of the summer....

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Heehee! Oh, how I miss country life! hehehe, always something interesting! lol.  bear_original  Once when my parents and I were down in the lower garden planting potatos a skunk came running down from the house... right by us and out into the ditch.. my dad wanted to shoot it but my mom and me said noooo!!! lol, the poor thing.. it lived/lives under the shed.. he never bothered us and we don't bother him.. heehee. Not sure why but I've always thought skunks were so cute.. hehe.
You can keep the poison snakes though! lol. We don't have those here, thank goodness!
Hugs!!
Melanie

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

Judi, YES that really happened!  In fact, it was more like the 3 Stooges than I made it sound.  Hunter was very close to the snake when she first saw it, but far enough out of danger.  No one was ever close enough to be in danger. 

And I did leave out the part where I realized I had a weed-whacker in my hands, but it was too late to try to use it!

Dilu, we are all laughing about it, especially the skunk part!  We aren't smelling anything today... either it didn't spray bad or we are WAY too use to it.   bear_grin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh yes, isn't it fun living in the country?  We've had raccoons, stray cats/dogs, possums, and a baby copperhead come in the house via the cat door, coyotes coming to the back door for a handout, and all sorts of other wildlife making appearances from time to time.  We've had possums, squirrels, and rats living in the attic at different times until we finally were able to plug all the holes where they would get in.  It sounds like an unpleasant life, but I wouldn't have changed for anything the last 23 years that we've lived here - well maybe I would have preferred not to have been bitten by the brown recluse.  But I love the calm, the quiet, the serenity, the beauty of living here - it's a pleasure to interact with our animal and bird life.  But, Ann - you did have a particularly active day with some unpleasant experiences.  Glad it all ended well.   bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

that IS quite a day!  makes me thankful all over again that I live in a country with no snakes (not even in zoos!!)  it made the national headlines when a sea snake (alive too) washed up on a beach here last week!!

Board footer