Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

nettie scotland
Website
jazzyrags wrote:

I wouldn't even know how many i make whats wrong with me

That made me laugh so much ,thanks I needed that.

I have to make at least four a week or none of us eat!!!It can be stressful as I am a single parent have four dogs to walk(run for two hours in their case) a large garden and a house I am renovating.I wish I could make more but they would all be mutants.I like to make one at a time starting with the head and face then I make the body later when my wee brain is tired.I tend to look at it in the morning fix it if needed then age distress and add bows or clothes then take his picture.Cooking cleaning,changing filters in the pond,helping my daughter with homework and often washing ****** off the dogs gets in the way of this some days.I try to work an eight hour day if I can.
I think this year I may keep a check on how many.
I do love it too ,forgot to add that!!!!

Deb Upstate New York

GOOD LORD ... how do you people do it?

I shoot for one every 6 weeks. Ugh ... I'm bummed.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Deb, I get supplemental income in the form of child support, and this is otherwise my full-time job, while my boys are in school.  I very much need the income of it because the C.S. is not enough to pay the bills and live a free life, so it's my "job".  I would be working elsewhere -- and making far fewer bears! -- if it couldn't function for me in this way.

Also, I'm fairly young -- yes, dangit!; still YOUNG (until 1/27/06 anyway, when I turn 40; ack!) -- so I don't struggle with degenerative issues like arthritis that plague so many as they advance in life.  Plus, I am lucky to be free of tendon issues for now; cross fingers that lasts.  These things play a role in productivity/efficiency, too, I'm sure.

Don't be bummed.  Your work is beautiful and you have a passion for it!  That's REALLY what counts.

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

I must be a real slow coach here ,even after making bears for nearly nine years I can only do 2-3 a week but mostly if I get 2 completed I am thrilled .I am now retired from work ,but I find I probably work harder doing bears full-time ,mind you like jenny ,I do get bored and I like to do new patterns and it takes time too. So does keeping up with TT , I have to have my priorities right here.   Hugs Ritaxxxxx

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

definately feeling slack here.  I thought I was doing well with the 0ne in a fortnight.  I have to admit though I did manage 2 dragons in a few days but I felt the second one suffered.
I have 4 children 8,5,2,1.  This year is good because I will have 2 in school so I will organise time between work and bears. I can't sew my bears around DH as it makes him sneeze so a large chunk of evening is 'lost' for bear making as I spend time with the family.  Homework, tea, time together.  DH tends to sleep early though and once he is asleep I will go to my sewing room and start.
I am definately going to try for one a week though.  I want to get my skills up and have some for shows.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I do anywhere from 0-4 a week... depends if I have a long weekend.  I have been making bears since the end of April of this year... I have made 58 up to today...

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Well, I don't work, am home all the time, and try to do two a week.  Gee, I tell yah what though, the heat makes me sooo much slower, and when it's really hot (like over 100 F like it has been here recently) I really don't want to do too much - it has a huge effect on my health!

Sooo, I do what I can.  It doesn't really matter how many gets done everyone, as long as you're happy with the quality - who cares!

Danni

Ripley, Queensland

I'm not really worried but if I can up my numbers a bit then I may actually have some for shows and sales. 
And aside from that I really am very nosy and love to find things out  bear_grin

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

How do you girl do it who work?? Kim and Erin

As much as I want to even make one bear a week, by the time I get home from work, cook etc. I barely have 2 hrs to work on bears. Then factor in seeing friends, house work, movies, I also do about 1 every 6 weeks.

Sooo slooow....

Ripley, Queensland
Deb Upstate New York

Heather ~ That's sounds like my line!  It's so hard at the end of the day, and I won't work on a bear when I'm tired.  That leaves the weekends after the grocery shopping and cleaning is done.

Shelli ~ Fairly young?   bear_tongue  (I'm 48!)  Forty is very young.  I suspect, it'll one be my full-time job too in a few years.

Wisdom Bears wrote:

... I am now retired from work ,but I find I probably work harder doing bears full-time

Rita ~ I could see this happening to me.  bear_grin

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hey Shelli, 40's not so bad! Honest!  I hated the thought of turning 40 but then it happened (inevitably - nearly three years ago!) and after checking the mirror for wrinkles, I decided I didn't look a day over 39!  bear_happy  bear_grin

Like you've I've had 'stuff' to deal with over recent years and believe me, the only way is up!  When things fell apart in my world, I couldn't get myself together enough to seek 'proper' work and so decided to immerse myself in making my little business work.  Sticking to making those 2/3 bears a week has certainly been a challenge!  I'm fortunate enough to have both my rent paying kids still at home, so can still work on my bears earning just enough to get by ... let's face it, bear makers are never gonna be rich!!

Anyway, life's taken a happy turn and well, let's just say the horizon now looks a brighter place than it did and it is whole lot closer too!

So dear lady, make the most of 40, 'cos 41 and THE FUTURE will be on you before you know it!  bear_tongue

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I loved my 40s ...coz I felt young and grown-up at the same time....now I am in my 50s and I still feel the same...and now I can be grumpy too..and be very pleased about it!! I don't worry what people think now...and when I saw my dad ( 81) going past the house wearing my mothers anorak and hat I thought how lovely not to give a damn!! He did look funny though..strange thing is I don't think he even notices!!

Deb Upstate New York
jenny wrote:

...and now I can be grumpy too..and be very pleased about it!!

jenny wrote:

I don't worry what people think now...and when I saw my dad ( 81) going past the house wearing my mothers anorak and hat I thought how lovely not to give a damn!!

I love it!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Jenny I just pictured your Dad and laughed out loud!! Good for him ,he's still going strong and knows enough to wear a hat and coat out in cold weather!!  bear_original   bear_grin    :dance:

Helen Out 'n About Bears
Poole, Dorset, England

I try to make one bear a week, but dont always succeed.  I have a part-time job too, and I like reading!!

Helen

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

It's interesting to hear how productive people are - I definitely go in spurts.  As Diane once told me,  if how many bears I made/week was related to whether we ate or not, I would go faster and I know she is absolutely spot on LOL!
Shelli, my daughter turns 30 on 1/29/06 and if it makes you feel any better, she's not happy, either!  She wanted to stay 19 forever as she could drink, vote and drive but still be a teenager LOL!  Bye the way, she also did competitive gymnastics for 10 years and I know exactly what you're in for - travelling to all the meets, fundraising, committee meetings, volunteering - been there and done that, but it was a fun time. 
I'm in my 50's too,  and think forty is still a kid.  I personally love being older and wouldn't go back, even if I could.  I'm more sure of myself, don't worry so much about what other people think and I think I enjoy life more.  It's great isn't it Jenn!

Hugs,

Brenda

Taiwan Angel Love Bear Forever

I do not design the bear patten my own.
I hand stitch all my bears and size between 6"-12".
I can make at least 1 bear a week....
But I do not pressure myself for bear making quantity as I want it to come naturally .....
Relax, Relax,  Relax.....

Bear making help me relax my pressure and make me happy  bear_original

Manuela Furry Critters
Website

I can do 1-2 in the week, I sew my bears by hand, but in the most time I need up to 30 hours for one bear. How long sew you on a bear?

hugs
Manuela

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

When I was actively making bears, I think I was making less than 20 a year! I have a full-time job, though, and I'm a painfully slow bear maker. bear_smile I think it takes me 20 to 25 hours for one bear, even though I use sewing machine...I quit counting the hours when I realized that was normal for me.

I guess a Crew member is a very rare bear! bear_laugh
~Debora

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

O'h my gosh!!! What buzy Artists you all are.  On an average I complete one a week, but that doesn't mean I don't have a few started, like currently 6, in pieces.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Ok, I'm a workhorse  bear_wacko
My cats are VERy labor intensive and I create 2 or 3 a week. I try not to think about my schedule and I get lost in the design work. But I do work seven days a week and at least 6 hours a day. I think because my husband is out of work and I'm the sole income, I am motivated  bear_rolleyes  But when I look at how much I love the work I'm not sure I would work any less if he were working. It's wonderful to get lost in something you love  :love:
Karen

Board footer