Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I had an inquiry about shipping charges to Australia for my new boy, James. I've never shipped out of country, except to Canada, so I went to USPS, UPS, FedEx, and I tried DHL but finally gave up after I completed a survey and then had to give my contact information, and then had to fill out a profile, and I kept going in circles.

The prices are outrageous and I'm just wondering if I didn't make a mistake in looking these up. USPS was the cheapest at about $120....UPS $152...FedEx $172 for economy. UPS had a $30 fuel charge included in their cost.

To those in the US who have shipped to Australia, or other distant countries, do these sound right? Holy Cow! I'm hoping I made a mistake. Otherwise, how could anyone afford to ship?

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi,
I do shipping to the UK and Australia on a regular basis.  I just did a six pound box to Australia and did it online and it was $35.15 plus insurance.  It was just first class airmail but it goes really fast.  If you do it online it is a couple dollars less than if you go to the postoffice.  Sometimes it is worth the money to go in to the post office and let them help you with the customs forms.
Check your figures again at www.usps.com
Donna

White Forest White Forest Bears
Southern California

How big is the box? What is the weight?
Go to usps.com and you should just plug in the data and they will give you a price, and you don't have to put in any contact info.

I am in San Diego and I ship to Australia quite often.  My big 18" bears I ship in a 14x14x14 box , and it is about $40 to ship, with insurance, and the smaller ones I put in a 9x9x9 box and it's about $30 or so. (Just off the top of my head).

I found that USPS Priority or Express Mail International is the most cost effective.  UPS and FEDEX are crazy for Int'll shipping.

I do all my domestic shipping via UPS Ground as it's very reasonable, and people can track their packages.

Southern California

Also, I never ship First Class Int'll because it doesn't offer enough insurance coverage, and I won't take the risk of not having coverage.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I always ship Priority Int'l...... its usually anywhere from $30-50 depending and size and weight of bear and box.

You do NOT want to ship UPS for int'l packages (well, Canada is OK but once your package has to fly over an ocean the fuel charges, etc. get added on. I believe the fuel charge is $80 or was last time I checked. REDICULOUS!!!!!)

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

I just sent a bear to Australia this morning. I printed International Priority online and it was $23.99(you get a discount if you pay & print online) for a package just under 2 lbs.

Southern California
Nancy D wrote:

I just sent a bear to Australia this morning. I printed International Priority online and it was $23.99(you get a discount if you pay & print online) for a package just under 2 lbs.

Ooh! I didn't know there was a discount! I've only printed UPS online thorugh paypal or the UPS Site.  Do you have to have particular labels or something to print USPS postage?  Actually I should check their site out about it.  Thanks for the tip!

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Speaking as an Aussie I have to agree with Daphne- DON'T USE UPS!  bear_grin  DHL and FEDEX are *ok* but USPS is more economical  *and* is often just as fast (if not faster in my experience). Unless you live right in the city, UPS, FEDEX and DHL often hand over to other courier companies for delivery-  PLUS they often tack on clearance charges even if there is no duty to pay.
      USPS all the way for shipping to Australia.
   As for cost, well if your customer has bought overseas before they are most likely used to the costs of shipping- if we want it we have to pay it bear_sad

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Thank you all so much for your input. I was stunned to see those prices and wondered how anyone would be able to have international customers with those kinds of costs. The prices you mentioned are within people's reach. I never knew about doing this online and that it would give you such a discount.

I did fill out the information, only guessing at weight, but I put 6  lbs. and I use a box in similar sizes to Erin's. I just about had a heart attack when I saw those prices.

Thanks all.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I haven't mailed to NZ since Christmas but then it was about $45 dollars.....since it is for your bear wont you get the money for shipping?

Rick seems to remember the boxes weighing in the neighborhood of 30 lbs.....well its was Christmas.

One thing I have learned is not to send parcel post as things get lost in the shuffle.

I haven't sent anything anywhere since then....guess I better get busy.

I agree dont use the couriers use USPS, always cheaper....but I have the opposite experience with the on line site-its always about 20-30% more expensive than going to the window....

dilu

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Dilu, yes I would ask for shipping, but how could I ask someone to pay $150??? I don't think I'd be able to ask that much. Have any of you charged that much and have collectors paid that amount?

Board footer