Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

When I read that it was not going to be  any more ABC shows, I  wish it was not true but, I just read their letter bear_cry
There is nobody to take it over? PLEASE!! :pray:
Gladys

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Gladys, I did that show in 2006 and was very disappointed at the very, very low attendance.  I had always heard such good things about this particular show.  I guess it is  sign of the times.  The internet could never take the place of seeing and feeling bears in person but it sure is changing how bears are bought and sold.

I'm still really glad that I did the show because I got to meet some really cool people like Sonya and the Intercal team.  bear_thumb   What a super nice bunch of people....made the trip very worthwhile.

Gladys, is the  SD show one that you were hoping to do?  bear_sad

White Forest White Forest Bears
Southern California

That is a shame if that show will not be held anymore.  It was a nice show.

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Judi No I always have been very shy to show my bears at a show .  :redface: I design and make them for my family, friends and myself but, that was the only show left close enough for me to be able to go and like you said, it is the bears in the "fur" and the people, to be with other designers and collectors. I hope that somebody take it over soon!
I am sorry that I did not meet you on 2006. I would have love to meet you and your bears....Maybe one day...You never know bear_thumb
Happy Mother's day to you and all the moms here on TT. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Gladys bear_flower

Krys SoCal

Gladys, my hope that it starts up again. Is it wishful thinking that Linda Mullins will come out of retirement??? I am still so sad. There is nothing like touching and seeing bears in person.

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

My old boss is friends with Linda. I should have her beg her to take the show over again!
Maybe the S.Cal or San Diego artists should take it over??? bear_original

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

That is the only show that I could go too.  What happened?

Kingfisher Farm Teddies Kingfisher Farm Teddies and Folk Art
Illinois

When I attended ( twice)I did ok. A lot of people complained about low attendance. Especially the year the floor was being redone, and the main ballroom was closed, leaving Amber and Connie to reconfigure the show at a moments notice. I really enjoyed the weather. Pam

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Gladys,
I would have loved to have met you. bear_flower   Meeting the other artists and collectors is the  biggest thrill for me at a show. ....in the few that I dane done. bear_flower  bear_flower I would really like to do a few in the future.    I find it very hard to build up stock for a show when I usually sell my work as I create it.

I hope that someone will take over the shows and not let them die out completely. :pray:

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Judi 
That somebody takes over the show is my hope and wish too :pray:  but, it is true that the S.D. show was smaller for the last couple  of years.  I think that is because the economy, that is not going well but, the love for bears is big and I am sure it will survive, till things gets better.

Krys  I will be very surprised if Linda Mullims gets the shows again. She was enjoying not being in charge and visiting with friends and collectors at the show. She is sad  and will miss the socializing . Let just hope that somebody will want to do it. Like judi said :pray:
Bear hugs.
Gladys

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I am so bummed about this! I do this show twice a year and it is where most of my sales are from. Now I am only left with the Nevada City show once a year. I am seriously considering hanging up my needle..

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

NO!!! PLEASE :pray: Sonya I know that is a shock. I know it was getting smaller by the year but, I never thought it will end  bear_cry  You can NOT give up my friend.
Sad bear hugs bear_sad
Gladys

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Gladys,
I just don't see how I can stay in business. It has been so slow. I am trying to give ebay another try but we all know how slow that has been too. Last year my business was the worst year ever. I took a HUGE loss. It was even worse than myu first year. San Diego wwas always my best show and with it gone, I just cannot affored to travel to out of state shows. It costs so much to travel and if I don't even make up my travel expenses, I am just sinking money from my retirement into a lost cause. I LOVE making bears, but haven't sold a bear from my website in I don't know how long although I used to be able to not even keep one on my website. I DID just get an order from Germany for 2 of my big sailor bears, but after that I am seriously thinking of placing my supplies on ebay and calling it a day. I have a lot of thinking to do and this has gotten me so bummed. I think I just need to get over the shock as I have been in tears every time I even think about it.
Sonya

busserbears Busser Bears
Elkhart, Indiana

I just went to ABC Unlimited website and found this letter...very sad....

Dear Friends,

After nearly 22 wonderful years of producing teddy bear and doll events it is with very mixed emotions that Connie and I are announcing our retirement as of June 1, 2008.  The changing market and the desire to spend more time with our families has dictated our choice to re-channel our energies.

We want to thank everyone who has taken this long journey with us and being our family away from home and for the many years of laughter, joy and tears that have enhanced our lives along the way.

OUR MANY THANKS

To Etta Foran and Pat Joho who got us into this glorious business.

To Hank Currier who partnered with us for several years and put up with a lot of PMS (think that's why he retired to Florida?) but, leant his fantastic artistic talents to all of the events (we continued to use many of the signs he designed right up to this past show in April Schaumburg).

To the artists from all over the United States, Canada, Asia, Australia and Europe who have supported our events by exhibiting at the shows, making souvenir bears, centerpieces, special gallery pieces, presenting workshops and seminars throughout the years enabling us to produce such grand events.

To Teddy Bear and Friends and Teddy Bear Review magazines for their continuous support and giving us the opportunity to host TB & F's TOBY awards and TBR's ambassador awards programs making our events even more special.

To the retailers who also supported our events and spread the word about teddy bears and dolls to their many customers in their shops.

To Intercal and Edinburgh Imports for having a presence at all of our teddy bear events making it possible for the artists to pick fabrics first hand and not just from tiny samples.  In fact, Dale Junker is the only exhibitor who attended every single show that we produced or had a representative present.

To the manufacturers: North American Bear Co., Cooperstown Bears, Bearington Bears, Bearland Express, Deb Canham Artist Designs, Russ Berrie and others.  If we have left someone out it is not intentional, but let it be known that without their extreme generosity we would not have had so many wonderful give aways at the conventions.

To Charlie Misovye for the fantastic stage productions he created for a number of our convention/banquets.  Who will ever forget Sonny and Cher?

To the BEST BOYS who helped on many occasions when we needed an extra hand.

To Linda Mullins, Joel Hoy and Daniel Epley for thinking of us when they decided to retire from the business of show promotion.

To Good Bears of the World for their constant support and friendships.  May they continue their good works for many years to come.

And, to all of the collectors who made us so happy when we watched them leave a show with huge smiles on their faces because they have just added that one, two or dozen special teddies to their hug.

To borrow a phrase from that famous comedian Bob Hope - THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.  Wherever life takes you from here we hope that you take along some fond memories as well.

Warm regards and Big hugs,

Amber Beeler & Connie Brouillette

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

SunnieOne wrote:

I am so bummed about this! I do this show twice a year and it is where most of my sales are from. Now I am only left with the Nevada City show once a year. I am seriously considering hanging up my needle..

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm with Sue Ann.  That would be a HUGE loss to the bear world, Sonya.  H U G E.  I know sales are tough but I hope you'll find some way to hang on to the joy and keep on keeping on, even if some modifications are necessary in order for you to do so.  I just saw your wonderful work in Nevada City last month.  It would be too, too sad for collectors to lose it.

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Like Sue Ann said bear_cry  bear_cry  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  No much more can be say
:hug: Gladys

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I am in tears reading your words of encouragement. I just don't know what to do.  Even in Nevada City, I only sold one bear at less than $100. I didn't hear too many more doing a lot better. I LOVE that show and already paid to do it next year too, so I have to do it or lose that money too. With the expenses of over $700 not counting gas for a 16 hour round trip. I lost a LOT.Ebay costs along with the way lower prices are putting me at a loss there too. I am all for continuing, but I just don't know how. It really is zapping my self confidence and I feel like my bears are not desired. It is easy for US to say they are... we are always so supportive of each other..... But I am not seeing it in sales. And because of this, I have been letting people get away with using my generosity. I have a collector that ordered 2 big bears well before Christmas that are still sitting at my house waiting for payment after excuse after excuse. I was going to take them to Nevada City and she begged me not to and told me over and over that the check was in the mail, that she got a new accountant at work and they didn't get paid (3 times in 6 months???) But what else am I going to do with them?? BIG bears are hard enough to sell. and 1 yard of quality mohair in each iis a huge waste of my money. I was SHOCKED when I sold a bear (one of my sailors) on ebay last week. I only had to list it once, but then again it is a 28 inch bear that sold for $225, so with the expenses and cost to have it a featured item, paypal's cut, etc... you all know I made nothing on the bear.  I just don't know what else to do. I cannot justify advertizing anymore.,  Lately, I seem to be making a bear, then donating it somewhere because it doesn't sell.. or giving it away to one of the grandkids for birthdays, etc.

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

The bear business has been fighting a perfect storm of web sites, an uneasy economy, travel difficulties, and an increasingly insular, technical society for about eight years. Even TV shows like "Clean Sweep" are working against us! Each individual's decisions make sense, but put together, we have created a climate where it's really hard to keep a business going -- whether it's an artist, manufacturer, show promoter, store, supplier, or magazine. We're all doing what we can, but somehow we don't have the collective strength we had when the community was glued together by shows and magazines rather than the web. I think we've become a strong virtual community, but we're lost in the sea of billions of web sites, blogs, videos, and e-commerce options. Obviously we can't put the genie back in the bottle and the larger economy is beyond our control, but no one knows how to regain that cohesiveness and rebuild the audience for our artwork, so we're losing shows, artists, stores, and other businesses.

So when Amber called me, I cried. I will miss them terribly. And I mourn the passing of another piece of the community that I have loved and tried to nurture for 14 years.

Mindy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Very well said Mindy. Explains the way things are as in industry to a T!

Now, if only we could figure out a way to resolve this.......

hazelseuser Auburn, Indiana
MKinsey/TBF wrote:

The bear business has been fighting a perfect storm of web sites, an uneasy economy, travel difficulties, and an increasingly insular, technical society for about eight years. Even TV shows like "Clean Sweep" are working against us! Each individual's decisions make sense, but put together, we have created a climate where it's really hard to keep a business going -- whether it's an artist, manufacturer, show promoter, store, supplier, or magazine. We're all doing what we can, but somehow we don't have the collective strength we had when the community was glued together by shows and magazines rather than the web. I think we've become a strong virtual community, but we're lost in the sea of billions of web sites, blogs, videos, and e-commerce options. Obviously we can't put the genie back in the bottle and the larger economy is beyond our control, but no one knows how to regain that cohesiveness and rebuild the audience for our artwork, so we're losing shows, artists, stores, and other businesses.

So when Amber called me, I cried. I will miss them terribly. And I mourn the passing of another piece of the community that I have loved and tried to nurture for 14 years.

Mindy

Hello there everyone,

I am too so sad as I used to love to go over to the Schaumburg, Illinois show.  We drove over there for their last show.  A couple months ago we drove over to the St. Louis, Missouri show and I got to buy a nice Art Rogers animal but it seemed like there were not very many booths this time.  The show was like a ghost town, there just were not any people there and the people that were showing their beautiful work all seemed so down in the dumps. I don't think they advertise those shows too well, I got a card from a friend that told me about that St. Louis show.  I never buy bears from the internet even though my husband uses it all the time.  I just don't like to buy things when I can't touch them first, maybe I am wrong, I guess I am just old fashioned.  I will probably just stay old fashioned because I doubt if I ever buy a bear on his stupid computer.  I have to get him to point me to this place on the Teddy Talk, so I can speak my piece.  Since I am living in Auburn, Indiana now not far from our son I was going to go to the Indianapolis, Indiana show but think I will just stay home, it is too sad to watch all those hopeful bear artists and I hope things will pick up but like all the good times, I think the party is over.  Mindy, I still take your magazine but now I hear they even have a magazine on the internet that is trying to put you good folks out of business.  Bye for now,

Hazel

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hazel - I'm glad your hubby helped you find  Teddy Talk! Your input as a collector is very important.... just what we need to hear and it helps us understand things from a collector's point of view. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Its for people like you, who need and want to touch and feel and buy special bears in person who keep our shows going, make it worth while to spend long nights right before a show sewing and preparing to present you with our best work. Your attendance at and support of shows means a lot though you may not get a personal thank you from anyone at the show please know you are appreciated! Some shows have a better atmosphere than others. I hope you'll reconsider the Indianapolis show..... and not give up on shows just yet.
:hug:

hazelseuser Auburn, Indiana

Hello Dapne,

I had thought about going to the Indiamapolis, Indiana show but it is only one day long and I have to make arrangements for someone to take me and it never seems to be on the day I can get a ride.   I am having my husband type this so I will have to read it before he hits the button.  Laugh!   I wish he was still driving as we always had fun on the trips, he even liked going in to the shows as long as there was a place for some coffee and good eats.  I wish they were open on a Saturday and Sunday and that would give me more chances to get there.   But I do understand that the bear artists cannot be away from home so long.  Some travel so far it would seem to me after all that travel they would like to be open for the whole weekend. 

The more my husband types the more I really want to go to that show as it is less than 3 hours away from me.  Oh my, now I really want to go and I will have to see what day they are holding that show, oh my.  Laugh!   I sure don't want the teddy bear artists to quit but I can understand if they have to, we all have to make a living.  If I understood the computer better I might try some of the internet business places selling bears and if all the shows are going away, I may have to take lessons.  Hazel

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

As Many of you know, I am a collector as well.  I live in Sandiego and look forward to the show.  I would sell my bears there but I haven't had time to make a bear in ages nor have I felt up to the task.  I do hope this show continues because I want my son to grow up around teddy bears.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

had thought about going to the Indiamapolis, Indiana show but it is only one day long

But think of it this way, Hazel: you would actually SAVE $$ by attending a 1-day show, because you won't have a motel bill and meals on the road for a second day.
From that standpoint, one day shows are Always better deals for Collectors than for Exhibitors! I encourage you to attend! I'm not exhibiting there (a Bright Star show?) but if collectors stop attending then the # of artists who sign up drops and the shows get smaller & smaller until they disappear.

hggzzz
Bobbie

Board footer