Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

What are they used for? What do you do with them? What size are they? I just want to know everything. Are they like sport trading cards but have your art on them? I am totally confused! Sadly I cant draw worth a lick so I wont be making any anyway but they interest me. Also can you collect them even if you dont have some for trade? Ok done with the interrogation for now!  bear_grin

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Alexis,
       Here's a link to Shelli's original post about them.  It should answer all of your questions.

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=4392   

hugs,

Brenda

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

You can also check out Shelli, Potbelly Arts blog... http://potbellyarts.typepad.com   You might be wondering why both Brenda and I are referring you to Shelli.  She was the originating Help Advisor along with SueAnn for Teddy Talk but retired last Spring (I think) so we all know and love her.  She pops in here often and keeps track of us...but her artworks is beautiful and she's quite active with ATC's, etc.   Anyway...check out her blog and you might find some of the answers to your questions plus some eye candy.

Hugs,
Shantell

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Alexis, here's another way of thinking about ATCs:

We can't possibly afford a teddy from all of our friends here, but by saving art cards from each artist we get to have a little touch of their particular style with us.  I have cards from so many artists that I simply adore, the artist and the card, and I make shadow boxes to mount the cards in.  Every time I see them I think of that artist.  It makes me happy, and the artists are so clever and talanted in what they create. 

If you have never tried it I encourage you to do so.  They are a nice way to use up scraps of ribbons laces and mohair.

dilu

PS  you dont have to be able to draw!  if you can make a teddy you can do a card.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ooh... my ears are burning, in the nicest of ways.  Thanks for the shout out and warm fuzzies, peeps.  Very appreciated. bear_original

Alexis, you pretty much understand artist trading cards (or ATC's) already.  They're, as you put it, "like sport trading cards but have your art on them."  That's as good a way to describe them as any I've read!

Now that I've been part of the ATC community for a while I can firm up some info I wrote in that initial post I wrote, and expand on it a bit more, with greater confidence, but in fewer words.  Check this out.  Artist Trading Cards:

1.  Must measure 2.5 x 3.5 inches.
2.  Are called ATC's (Artist Trading Cards) when they are swapped or traded.  This is the truest and "purest" form of the hobby.
3.  Are called ACEO's (Artist Card Editions and Originals) when they are sold.  This is a newer form of this hobby and is a great way for those who can't draw to collect ATC's.  No reason why the fun should be limited to just those who actually create the cards.  Right?

There's a big market for ACEO's on eBay and Etsy.  Wonderful, wonderful stuff.  Most cards sell in the $5 - $10 range making them very affordable, although some more sophisticated originals can go as high as $30 - $90.  You can often buy prints of fabulous artwork -- sometimes in open editions, sometimes in limited runs -- for a very reasonable price.

ATC's are traded in live sessions; check www.meetup.com if you're interested in finding a local ATC group to join.  They're also traded on a number of forums and sites on the web including Craftster, on Flickr groups, on Yahoo groups, and on specialized sites.  Some sites are for anyone and everyone at every skill level, such as www.ATCsForAll.com, where I myself trade.  That site used to be called ATCards.com, a site which is now defunct.

There are also juried sites, including my favorite on the web, www.IllustratedATCs.com.  This is a juried site and is for the experienced illustrator, fine artist, or graphic designer.  They're pretty particular about who they let in there which is why I like trading; my returns are always excellent.  However, it really tests my ability to be a member, and I always have to stay totally on top of my game and really push myself, which means I spend an extraordinary amount of time on each card. 

I love trading ATC's and rarely sell my work.  I just like the purity and "just for me" concept behind swapping them, myself. 

If you have any questions at all I'm a happy cheerleader for all things ATC so please, don't hesitate to contact me or write your queries here.  I'll do my best to answer on behalf of this very large, very talented, very enthusiastic and ENORMOUS community.

PS  I post all my ATCs to my Flickr page, http://flickr.com/photos/potbellyarts/s … 143477998/.  They're not great art or anything -- although I'm thrilled my skills are improving.  They're just fun, fun, FUN!

bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Some more thoughts since you got me on a roll with this question -- hitting yourself yet?? :)~

Often at ATC sites you can find other kinds of mail art like journal and chunky book swaps; altered domino or tin swaps; charm swaps; inchie swaps (tiny one inch squares of art); and all kinds of other delicious things to trade.  Fun!

There are a million ways to participate in the ATC community.  You can swap 1:1 with another artist or join themed swaps, like "Coffee's On!" or "Faeries & Mermaids" or "Steampunk" or "All Asia," and so on.  This makes collecting by theme a real adventure.  My own themed collections include:

Alice in Wonderland
Gothic
Zetti
18th Century France / Marie Antoinette
Shoes
Funky, Whimsical Art
Evil Women & Bad, Bad Girls
Favorite Artist (reproductions of work by my favorite artists Scott Radke, Cassandra Barney, and Audrey Kawasaki)
Fantasy (unicorns, mermaids, faeries, etc.)
Dia de los Muertos
Animals
Beauty of India
Cakes & Confections
Vintage Image Collage

There's also something in the ATC world called a "Pick A Theme" swap.  Unlike a "regular" swap where you join, say, 30 other participants and then send in 3 cards and get 3 in return on that one theme... in a Pick a Theme swap you join a SUBGROUP of the PAT swap; choose your own personal theme; and the other members of your subgroup (usually 5-8 people) all make cards to your requested theme.  These kinds of swaps require greater commitment and trust because if someone drops out, those who've made cards for that person are left with nowhere to send them, and no cards on their own chosen theme coming in return.  Therefore, PAT swaps usually require a history of feedback in the ATC community before members are allowed to participate.  This is usually true regardless of the swap site.  Despite these complexities, PAT swaps tend to be my favorites because I get to specify EXACTLY the art I want in return for my own efforts, and I even get to choose which group I "play" with.  In "regular" swaps, the swap host chooses which cards go to which player.  Sometimes they try to match ability to ability but other times, hosts simply swap out cards randomly, which can be a great gift to the newer artist and a huge disappointment to the more experienced one.

I could go on and on... and probably, you're thinking, already have... :)... but I'll stop for now.  Just hoping to give you all the flavor of this addictive hobby.  Whee!!

Shelli,
     I keep thinking I will start doing some illustration for ACEO's or ATC's but I'm almost afraid to start.  Your posts have got me excited again but I do get sidetracked so easily and I'm already battling with jewelry.  So.....I'm covering my eyes and plugging my ears and won't read anything more until I get caught up with my bears bear_tongue !

hugs,

Brenda

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Brenda and Shantell- Thank you for your quick responses and links.

Shelli- Firsty, wow! I am so excited that you responded to my thread. Your Alice in Wonderland card was the reason that I even started to look at ATC's. Its stunning. Very interesting information on ATC's. I may have to get into it as soon as I finish creating my websites. Thank you!  bear_flower

Dilu- That is how I figured it to be also. I figured that since there are a few artists that I cannot afford that I could at least keep their ATC's to have a "piece" of their art. Thank you!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Brenda... art cards ARE a horrid, magical addiction.  It's kinda all I think about the last long while.  They frustrate the bejeebers out of me because I'm always trying to improve but that takes time and practice and not just a strong will and wishful thinking, and it can't be rushed.  I so hope you give it a serious try but I admit, once you do, you'll probably be lost to it a bit. 

Alexis... That's a nice compliment about my Alice card; thank you!  :redface: 

The community at www.atcsforall.com often runs teddy bear related themes and as I mentioned, that site is available to all.  www.bid4bears.com has a specific trading card area (it's an auction site just for bear lovers) but I'm not sure how active it is.  When I started out with ATC's I made several art cards based on and featuring my teddies and sold/traded them which was great fun.  And I know there are some bear artists who are making art cards in addition to teddy bears; Deborah Burnham comes immediately to mind.  She's modest as all get out and kinda shy, but she makes some of the most AWESOME, high quality, heavy-in-your-hand cards I've come across anywhere, bar none.  Check out her whimsical, vintage-styled, collage art card offerings, which often feature her gorgeous Bearhaven Bears:  http://www.bearhavenbears.com/ATCs.htm  Maybe you can talk her into selling you some.  I seem to have lost her eBay ID and it's not currently listed on her site but I know she's sold some cards in the past.  I have a few garnered from swaps with her and truly, they are amazing.

Have fun!!!

Shelli,
     I agree with you - Deborah's cards are to die for.  I have two of them and still owe her some  :redface:   I made one at Xmas time for her, but waxed it and it ruined it and I haven't come up with anymore ideas.  I've had a little more experience with collage, doing jewelry, so I have to take the plunge again soon, just to even up with Deb. 
     By the way, her Ebay id is:  bh.bears     Deborah is a good friend and tea buddy.  She also has a blog now.  www.bearhavenbears.blogspot.com

Alexis,
     You really should check out Deborah's cards - they are some of the best I've seen anywhere.  There should be some in the Art Cards section of teddy talk as well.  You can search for her teddy talk name:  bhbears

hugs,

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Oh, yay, thanks for the contact info for Deborah, Brenda.  That's so cool that you know Deb in real life.  I only know her via the web.  I'm envious!

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Brenda- I just checked over her artcards and they are fantastic! I am still so confused as I checked out the mediums at ATC.com ( I believe) and it seems that you dont have to draw to make them. Some are completely paint, fabric, dyed, and then I saw Judi's which was wood burnt. So does it matter what kind of medium you use to make them?

I am really excited because I want to make some but want to have them actually be worth something so people will want to trade with me.  :crackup:

My other question is how do you reproduce those that are not done digitally? For example, if one is made of fabric or woodburned or something that takes an excessive amount of time, then is only one made? Sorry for the interrogation. I am just very interested. I wish I could keep my nose out of new things but life is too short. I just want to try everything I can get my hands on.  bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Alexis, I love your enthusiasm and curiosity. :)

Why not check out the pretty & informative online webzine, ART TRADER ZINE, which is published by the folks at IllustratedATCs.com. ???  It's available to view online as a .pdf file -- you need Adobe Acrobat, a free software program, to view it -- and it's hugely colorful, full of lots of interesting articles that cover lots of mail art related topics (with emphasis on ATC's) -- and I can personally vouch for the fact that the people who publish it are really smart, funny, talented, and cool.  And no, I'm not one of them... although I did have a tutorial published in the first issue.

There are two issues available online and as far as I know they will remain online for eternity so there's no rush to view them.  I happened to get my own copies printed out at Kinko's, which was, by the way, not cheap.  But I'm a part of that site and these are my friends so it's a kind of sentimental thing for me, as much as fun reading material.

The pages are gorgeous online, too, though, on your monitor.  So give it a peek!  I know they've written articles about what ATCs are and how they're made, etc.  And the second issue has an article specifically for people just like you, Alexis, who want to learn more, find out where to swap, and understand all the terms & definitions relating to ATC's and mail art:

Here's the link:  http://www.arttradermag.com/

As for your more specific questions...

ATC's can be made in ANY medium.  Fabric, paint, collage, ink, rubber stamping, metal, Sharpie, colored pencil, India ink, tissue paper... whatever!  The sky, and your imagination, are the only limits! 

Sometimes, certain swaps call for "collage only" or "hand-drawn only" or "fabric only" ATC's, but that's up to the preference of the swap host -- or the focus of the site where you're doing your trading.  IllustratedATCs.com, for example, is a JURIED site -- meaning you have to "try out" to be a member -- and it has a strong focus on hand-drawn, illustrative art.  Meaning that we don't have a lot of fabric swaps, etc., at that particular site.  However, there are oddles of places all over the web where you CAN do fabric, wood burnt, collage, or glass swaps.  There's no one way to do it, and as far as I'm concerned, it's all good.

If you're purchasing (vs. creating, for swapping) art cards, remember they're called ACEO's (not ATC's, although technically they're the same thing as ATC's, but with a pricetag attached).  Those can also be made from any medium -- fabric, glass, whatever.

Last, if someone paints a card on canvas or paper or board, they can simply SCAN and PRINT it, if they plan to offer copies in the form of "prints."  However, most cards are considered to be worth less, have less value, when there are more of them floating around.  Originals usually have more value, because they are one of a kind... and this is true whether you are purchasing an ACEO or swapping an ATC.  Most people find it more desirable to obtain something unique. 

Cards like Judi's wood burnt card can be reproduced via the scan and print process, but of course that's nothing like the original, which all that texture and probably even wood smell!  And it's fairly easy to scan or photograph and reprint 2D art, like a drawing or a painting... but it certainly loses it's sparkle and magic as a print, when you compare to the original.  Which isn't to say that "prints suck", because they certainly do not.  It's just that, given the choice, I'd always rather have the original, vs. a copy, simply because it has more of a hand-made, soul-touched vibe to it.  Ya know??

In case anyone is wondering, when I reproduce my cards (which I do rarely), I print at home using archival Vivera inks on premium photo paper, and then laminate my prints using an acid-free cold lamination process for long, scratch-free life.  Other people print on matte paper or even regular paper... so read the fine print if you're buying, to make sure you're getting something designed to last without fading or scratching.

For artists, it's important to always state at the outset whether the card will be available as prints, or whether it will be one of a kind... and then stick to that, so that your swap partners/customers don't ever feel misled or ripped off.  You'll be able to tell, as you browse on swap sites, on eBay, and on Etsy, what it is you're looking at (print vs. original) because most people are extremely careful to include that in their listing.

Hope this helps!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I love TT with all my heart but the problem with posting art cards here is that your audience is limited.  People here might appreciate art cards but are mostly here to talk about, learn about, and view BEARS.  Right?!?

:)

My suggestion would be, Christine, that you take the plunge and register at a site like www.ATCsForAll.com, and then post your cards there, because people are looking for trades in droves every single day there!  It's open to all and free to join.  Check out the rules and the galleries there, to see how things operate.  It's daunting at first, but I'll help you understand if you have questions!  The site admin have become friends of mine and they are compassionate people who will NOT ban you if you make a newbie mistake in good faith! 

Sites like Craftster are also terrific for finding swaps but that place is absolutely, positively overwhelming to a newcomer.  I'd suggest starting at a more focused, smaller site first.

It's also a great idea to register for a free Flickr account, if you don't have one already.  At first, Flickr seemed "weird" to me, in terms of how the program "thinks."  But once I understood it, I found it one of the easiest, quickest, handiest ways around to get my images on the web, and organized perfectly and beautifully.  Check it out:  www.flickr.com.

Let me know if you have more questions.  I'll check back and try to answer!

Shelli, Shelli, Shelli,
     Can I put some duct tape on you (seriously just kidding!!!).  Every time I go on you have new posts, and as hard as I try not to read them, I have to  bear_cry
     I have the first book you posted, and another favourite book of mine is Claudine Helmuth's "Collage Discovery Workshop".  I like the way she describes her techniques and gives small samples to try.
     I am also obsessed with those damned Stampington magazines.  We just got back from Disneyworld, and I didn't buy much there, but I stopped at an AC Moore craft store on the way home and spent a fortune!  I was like a little kid, because they had all of the Stampington magazines.  They are hard to find in Canada.  I was over the moon with their new Digital Studio and I bought the new Life, Memories, Somerset Studio and Cloth, Paper Scissors!  My husband just shook his head and said we need a bigger house for my books and magazines  :crackup: !
     I am very lucky to know Deborah - she is just a sweetie, with a great sense of humour and a very generous heart.  We actually bonded over a funny faux pas that I did, that would have made other people think I was a nutter.  I had bought supplies from her for a while, and she moved about half an hour from us in the country.  I had just started selling on Ebay, and was always browsing.  I had come across a wee bear that was darling, and the location was "Land of Nod Studios".  I thought that was really hokey.  She dropped some supplies at my house one day, and we were chatting about Ebay.  I showed her the listing and said sarcastically "who puts Land of Nod on their listing as a location".  She smiled shyly and said "that's me - I live on Land of Nod Lane!" OMGod, I was soooo embarrassed and she just laughed until she almost cried.  I did the only thing I could - asked her if she wanted a cup of tea, and we've been buddies ever since LOL!  She is an extremely talented gal, both with her bears and her artwork.
     I'm off to browse the links you posted - BAD SHELLI!!!  :crackup:

hugs,

Brenda

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

I have been following this thread with interest. (thanks Alexis)
I have just made my first two attemps ever with ATC as Bid4Bears are running a swap along with the
Spring Fling Online Show in June.
I though it would be fun to give it a try (thanks to Dilu  :hug: )
I hope I have got the rules right.
This is my first one:
atcbella_1.JPG

and my second:

atcblack_1.JPG

Tina,
     They are lovely.  The first one's I made were digital with my bunnies.  I kept one for myself - maybe I'll scan it.

hugs,

Brenda

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Thanks Brenda
I would love to see your card
:hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

HehHeh.

For-Brenda.jpg

Edited to add:  Tina, we were posting simultaneously.  I think your cards are terrific!  I especially like the text background you used.  Very nice!   bear_flower

Hi Shelli,
     That's really cute, but if you are ANYTHING like me, it wouldn't last more than a second or two  :crackup:

hugs,

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

::Mrffgrraghhhh::

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: Shelli your a crack up, you know how I feel about your art work. Tina your card are great.

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Christine- You are fantastic! Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about daunting. I guess I am like you in that I experiment in many crafts too. If you name it I have probably tried it. I adore learning and love to create. (Especially bears and jewelry  bear_wub ) I havent see your art cards since I literally started looking into all this last night and today but I will make sure to search when I get through here. Its good to know that I am not the only newbie to ATC's and ACEO's though and hopefully I can create something fabulous and we can trade!  :hug:

Tina- Glad you have been following this thread. I usually just ask on the board instead of pming or emailing people privately because sometimes there are others out there that need the same info. I dont know about you but past posts and the archives are my best friends! Teehee! By the way, your art cards are LOVELY! Great job!

Shelli and Brenda- You two are a trip! Thanks for the laugh!

Hey Shelli,
     COOOOME BAAAACK!  I've read your links and now I have a few questions! 

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer