Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Hey Guys, I just got this email a while ago. They say they're in China. Can they take my domain name from me if I don't respond. I'm thinking scam, but I'll stress until your opinions either relieve me or stress me further. What do ya think?

Dear manager:
     We are Century Net Group Stocks Limited in China, which is a domain registration organization authorised by Chinese
industrial and commercial department.We are professionally responsible for chinese and international domain names
registration as well as settling the international disputes for domains registration.We also offer English and Chinese web solution.
     Last week,we received an application from a company asking to register "wagglebears" as their internet keyword and
domain names.We confirmed that it belong to you via our registration system.It is our duty to inform you about
this issue.You know that this will confuse and mislead consumers.
    You have the preferential right to register and protect.If you wanna register by yourself,please contact us asap.We
will communicate with each other about the protecting procedure and relevant cost.
     If we did not receive any response from you in our examination and verification period,we will take the formal
registration process for that applicant according to chinese and international domain registration regulations.
     Any way,this is an urgent email.We hope you can pay much attention to this issue.We will appreciate that you
response for us by phone or email asap in spite of your registration or not.
     sincerely  yours,
                  Sinna
Registration Dept
Century Net Group Stock Limited,
E-mail:sinna@cn-domains.org.cn
Tel:+(86)755-28581848
Fax:+(86)755-28581848

2008-05-14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sinna

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

Sounds like a scam, or rather a company just trying to get you to switch your domain registar.  I would check with whomever you have your domain with, maybe forward the email to them.

Check with your hosting company too if you are worried.  Also, go to http://www.icann.com/ and read up on current policies.  It's my understanding that you have the name, you can not be force off of the name unless you are infringing on a trademark.

Don't take my word for it, I haven't been in the internet business for years.  Maybe someone else more knowledgable will come along soon.   bear_grin

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Well I'm no expert but I can't see how they could , if you registered the domain name and it's still active then there is nothing they can do.  If you let your domain name lapse and didn't renew it then yes they can buy it and sell it to whomever they choose.

hugs

Shane

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I had a similair email last year. I asked several people who know computer stuff better than me, including Quy from TT.....they all said Scam and not to respond. I ignored it all and have heard nothing else.

Ellen

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Scam....but I do like the added professionalism of "if you wanna"  & "anyway this is an urgent email"  :crackup:   Most corporations like to stress the critical nature of issues with phrases similar to those  bear_whistle  bear_tongue  :crackup:   Ignore it completely  bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Big Thanks to all of you. I thought it was a scam, but still...

I have sent a copy of the email to my service provider. Does China even have a Chamber of Commerce  bear_tongue . And who else in the world would want "wagglebears" as their domain name besides me?   bear_whistle

Chrissi, to tell you the truth, I was more focused on the content than the language and grammar, but you're absolutely right. The "wanna" "asap" and "any way," and the misspellings should have been my first clue. My instincts said "scam" but thinking about your domain name being taken is troublesome.

Thanks again to all of you; I really appreciate your response.

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I noticed the grammer and spelling too...  sounds like a scam to me...

Board footer