Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Alexis,
     Your shirt looks fab!  I asked a good friend who was a professional quilter and also had a business marbelling silk, and she had not heard of it, so I sent her your post.

Shelli,
     I know Deb uses matte paper when printing for ATCs and so do I.  Does that make a big difference?  I've tried working with other papers for digital stuff and my jewelry but matte always wins out for me - I like the colours better and the density. The matte paper works well for transfers onto polymer as well.  I just don't bother with other papers, but boy when I tried to use wax for a finish - yuck!  I hated it.  I love the look of the encaustic collages - I have to try harder LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Brenda- Awesome! Hope your friend has fun!

Christine- I do lots of crafts since I can always incorporate them into my bears someway anyway. I agree with you though that this thread had gotten very long. I am really excited to see all these posts!  bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Christine... Even more amazing than these three pages is the fact that about five or six people are doing all the talking.  With about about 1/2 of the bulk going to me.  Whee!! :)

Brenda... Your comment about matte paper makes sense.  I have some and love it too but frankly don't usually grab it for photo printing in general.  And I think one of the times I had a problem with it I had used actual magazine pages on a card as a border, for color.  You make good sense, though; matte over matte.  I might play with it a bit more and see how it goes.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Brenda,
When you were using the wax, were you using it on old paper?  I learned from Lisa's class that old paper will discolor.  Sometimes the writing from the back will come through too.  Were you having trouble with lumps and dribbles with the wax?  Those can be smoothed with one of those teeny weeny quilt irons.  Exactly what was your problem, girlie?!!  I do know a little bit.....dangerous, I know.
bear_happy  bear_happy

Hugs and hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Hi Aleta,
     It was a digital art card, made out of layers of matte paper, so the paper was new and shouldn't have been a problem.   I was really happy with it - it was for Deb Burnham.  I really wanted that silky feeling that wax gives - I use wax on my wooden toys and love the feel of it, and I've dipped paper mache items in wax, so I thought I was good to go, on paper  bear_wacko  . 
    I painted on a layer over the card and it seemed to soak in more in some places, leaving what looked like "grease spots", if I'm making any sense.  I was so upset, because I'd spent a lot of time on it.  I wondered if the wax was too hot?  I think I still have it somewhere, I kept it to remind me I know diddly about wax  :crackup:

hugs,

Brenda

Portland, Oregon
Website

Layers of paper?  How many layers?  Did you use glue between the layers or a gel medium?  It could have been a combination of things even.  Type of glue and heat perhaps?  I'll have to ask Lisa if she's run into that problem.  Perhaps your bears were nibbling on a few potato chips when you weren't looking!!  Greasy paws prints!!
bear_happy  bear_happy

Aleta

P.S.  Do you use a candy thermometer to keep an eye on the heat of the wax?

Aleta,
     It probably had 2-3 layers BUT it was the top layer that was ruined.  It was a face that was stained.  I never thought of the glue - I use Glolden medium regular for gluing my paper stuff.   I don't use a thermometer for the wax, and that is where I think I may have goofed.  I really think it might have been too hot.  Anything you could find out from Lisa would be awesome.

Shelli,
     I remember what I wanted to ask you - what type of printer do you have or what are you using that has archival Vevera inks or are you having them printed elsewhere than at home?  Are you using a Xeron machine for the lamination process? 

hugs,

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

BP -- hey, that's a kind of ominous set of initials bear_original -- I use my home printer, which is an all in one.  It uses Vivera inks; I have six separate cartridges.  I did research online and they appear to be archival quality inks so I print on premium paper (glossy or matte depending on need) and then, yes, use my Xyron to cold-laminate.  Xyron materials are acid free and intended for use in scrapbooking so I think I'm producing cards that will stand the test of time.  I hope.  I tried to do my research!

I rarely make prints of my cards, though, simply because I enjoy making originals so much... and RECEIVING originals in return, which you will rarely get in exchange for a print.  In fact it seems downright like cheating to me to exchange a print for an original.  I'll offer to custom make something for someone, if I want something in their gallery that's an original and I have nothing to swap, before I'll offer them a print.

I'm blathering again.  ATC's are my passion.  Such a fun addiction!

I might add, btw, that I did an encaustic abstract a while back.  At our local farmer's market on Saturdays you can buy pure beeswax in blocks.  I used that and actually my heat gun.  I put little shavings of wax onto my work by rubbing the wax across the paper.  I also sprinkled some on that I had shaved off with an Exacto knife.  Then I used my heat gun to melt it and a brush and palette knife to spread it.  I was going for textural and rough.  I kinda liked the outcome although it didn't "go" so well with my abstract art underneath as it might have, say, with a vintage image collage.

Anyhoos... that's all for now. bear_original

Shelli,
    I have an HP printer - is it possible to get Vivera inks for different printers or are they just for certain printers? 

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I don't know to be honest with you.  I think they go with certain printers.

Visit the HP website.  I think that's where I found out about the inks my particular printer uses.  I'm sure yours would be listed, too.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I have an Epson printer that uses the 6 separate cartridges like Shelli's.  It uses Claria high definition ink which seems to have the same qualities as Shelli's Vivera.  Guess different printers use different inks.

Shelli,
    What kind of printer is yours?I have an HP Photosmart 8450 and it looks like the only pigment ink I "might" be able to use is the black one.  The inks I am using are Vivera, but they are dye based not pigment.  My sister has a Canon printer that uses Pigment inks and I know they are expensive to run.  She found out that their local Shoppers Drug mart uses Pigment inks and it's cheaper for her to have them do her printing than to use her own machine.  I'm off to look at printers with pigment based inks LOL.  Hubby needs a new printer - maybe I can pawn this one off on him and get a new one bear_grin

hugs,

Brenda

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

I have seen that some are using something called Diamond Glaze on their ATCs.
I suppose it´s for some kind of protection.

Is this the same as used for decoupage?
I have some decoupage finish, and just wondered if I could use that.
thanks
:hug:

Tina,
     I have some Diamond Glaze - mine is a two ounce bottle and I paid $7.00 for it a couple of years ago.  I'm looking at it now, and it does not say what's in it, but it hardens like a clear acrylic finish.  It's okay, but I find I get air bubbles in it and no matter how hard I try, I can't get them all out.  I do use it on my mini shadow boxes to give the small pieces a glossy, three dimensional look.  You can see it at www.diamondglaze.com
     Ranger also has something similar called Glossy Accents and they also have it in Matte, Crackle and Sepia.  Hope this link works:
http://www.rangerink.com/products/prod_ … glossy.htm I only have the Sepia one, but find it similar to Diamond Glaze, and I think it's a similar price range.
     The decoupage covering would be something similar, I think, but you would need many coats to get the same thickness as the diamond glaze and the diamond glaze is very clear like glass. The other benefit of the Diamond Glaze or Glossy Accents etc, is that they come in a bottle with a very tiny tiny tip, so it's easy to use it on really small areas and you can control how thick you put it on with one squeeze.  Hope this info helps!

hugs,

Brenda

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Thanks a lot Brenda
It really helps.
l´ll check out your links.

Here are the first ATC's I did.  They are all digital - I kept "Joy" for myself.  The last one is the waxed card that still makes me furious  :twisted:  You can see the stain on her face.

hugs,

TT-1.jpg
TT-2.jpg
TT-3.jpg
TT-4.jpg

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Your cards are Lovely Brenda
all of them  bear_thumb
Thanks for sharing

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Wow! Brenda! Those are beautiful! Very nice! I like the last one too though! I think its beautiful!  bear_wub Nothing wrong with a little "character" on her face! bear_wub

Portland, Oregon
Website

Okay, Miss Picky Pants Brenda!.....I can hardly see a spot on that card.  If I didn't know it was there I would not have seen it at all.  I know, I know.  We're all so hard on ourselves when it comes to our work.  Sincerely, I would love to have that card!!

Miss Runs with Scissors needs to continue with her fabric and lace cards too.  I've seen some stunning ATC cards made of those exact same materials.  (I even have one!  bear_happy )  As long as they're the specified size.....hey, skies the limit!!  Go for it!!

Once I get past this next show I would love to trade a few cards!!  I hope you're all still talking about cards then.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Dilu wrote:

Brenda, beautiful truly beautiful cards!  Wow!

But why do we have to have so many rules Shelli?  Or is this just human nature.....I know Miss-wjo0runs-with-scissors that made some a while back out of fabrics ribbons and laces- not digital at all- is there a rule wbout that-are they relagatyed to the dust bin?

Or should she continue on her porcelain art car quest to see if it is doable-hate to see her waste the time if it is going to be thrown out....

I'm sorry, Dilu... I don't understand your question!

The ATC world has certain rules and conventions but the strict ones are really limited:

1.  Must measure 2.5 x 3.5 inches
2.  Must be traded, not sold

If you want to sell your work, these rules apply

1.  Must measure 2.5 x 3.5 inches
3.  Must be called ACEO's (Artist Card Editions and Originals) and not ATC's (Artist Trading Cards, a term reserved for art that's traded, not sold)

I'm not sure what 'rules' you're talking about!  Did I imply or say that there are a lot of rules in this hobby?  If so I communicated badly, misspoke, or have been misunderstood.  I've been talking about all kinds of things in this thread, including the rules of certain WEBSITES, or the rules for certain SWAPS that are hosted at those website.  But in terms of making art cards, period, it's pretty much anything goes!

There's a certain etiquette to swapping and selling art cards and if you want a good reputation in the community you follow and respect that etiquette but it's pretty much a free spirited, easy, fun hobby.

Please help me understand your question better. :)

Brenda -- Really nice cards!  I like your bunbuns (hey... that sounds naughty!)  You said they're "all digital."  It looks like they're collaged with all kinds of really cool ribbons hanging off them to me.  Did I misunderstand??

Thanks for the compliments on my cards, everyone! It's nice to know someone else likes them but me.

Shelli,
     No, you didn't misunderstand - I described them wrong I guess.  I did all of the printing on the computer and then cut and pasted them and added extra stuff.  I guess because all of the stuff was printed that they were digital - I'm wrong?  What are they called when then?  Inquiring minds want to know :crackup:

Aleta,
     Me- Picky?  bear_original  To me the spot looks like a glowing neon sign!  Aw come on - you know how it goes, don't you? We ARE our own worst enemies.  I guess that's why there have been so many crazies in the artworld since the world began bear_shocked    Once I have a picture in my mind of something I want to create, if I can't obtain that exact item in the real world - out it goes!!!  I don't want it around and I don't want to look at it -and I certainly don't want anyone else looking at my mistakes.  I will do it over, and over and over and over until I get it right, or I will destroy it.  I'm not sure whether that's part of my ADD or my OCD (do ya think LOL!)  I kept this one to actually show Deb that I was trying, but wasn't any good yet.  It still makes my stomach churn when I look at it - along with the marked face, the glitter border is uneven :twisted: 
                                                   hugs,

Brenda

Portland, Oregon
Website

Brenda!  bear_shocked
Crazies in the artworld?  Wait.....did you just call me crazy? bear_tongue   

I was crazy once.  They put me in a room.  A rubber room.  With rats.  Rubber rats.  Rats make me crazy.  I was crazy once....
:crackup:  :crackup:

Aleta

P.S.  My kids used to recite that little ditty whenever I told them they made me crazy.   bear_wacko

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

i have just spent 30+ minutes reading this thread and am feeling very entertained..thanks..and i also want to have a go at these cards now..just one question..how do you store/display your cards??..all the ones ive seen going to all the links are amazing and if i owned them i wouldn;t want them all stuck away in a book..Id want them out on my wall or shelf..thanks again for keeping me entertained on a cold monday evening
Kerrilyn

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Brenda:  "All digital" usually means a card that has been created digitally in its entirety and then printed out and sometimes, laminated.  So the end result would be essentially a photograph.  "All digital" cards are essentially photographs; they're prints of digitally created work. 

I'd probably call your cards "Collage, with 3D and digital elements" or "Collage with 3D and photo print elements" or something like that if I were describing it.  With cards like the ones you've posted here it's pretty clear how you constructed them so the descrption, per se, becomes less important.  There are times, though, that what appears to be an original on the monitor is actually a print in reality (they would, of course, look the same on a computer screen)... so that's where describing things with great accuracy really comes into play.

Christine:  Darling cards!

Kerrilyn:  Many people frame their art cards.  Others build special cases for them and display them that way.  I have one friend who has a rotating display of cards that she switches out each month.  Check it out: 

http://flickr.com/photos/originalyouth/2495052258/ -- OOH, she found a new display case!! :)
http://flickr.com/photos/originalyouth/2449221169/ -- This is the one I was thinking of when I wrote, above.

I happen to put my own cards inside an album because I like to tote them around and immerse myself in them. Plus I have a biggish house with tall walls and they kinda disappear on the walls otherwise because they're so small.  I have a few framed and displayed in my office but mostly I group my collection by themes into a black 12x12 scrapbook album.  I go the extra mile, though, and create pretty pages for them by gluing 9-slot card protectors to black 12x12 cardstock.  The black makes a nice, neutral background for all that art, and helps tie every page together.  Here's a very quick and dirty scan of two of my ATC album pages (sorry for the reflection, I did this on my scanner very fast and as you can see, I couldn't fit everything!)

These pages feature FAVORITE ARTIST PICK-A-THEME swap returns, with art my friends have made for me of my favorite artists Scott Radke (weird figures), Cassandra Barney (willowy females), and Patricia LeBon-Herb (abstract trees)... and my VINTAGE IMAGE COLLAGE page, which includes work by the aforementioned Deb Burnham (she's got three there, in fact; one was a card she sent me that was too pretty not to include) and the center piece is by our own Aleta Breese (hi, Silly Girl.)

ScannedATCAlbumPages.jpg

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

What a beautiful collection you have Shel.
My fav. is those on the first pic.
Love the card Aletta made. bear_wub

Board footer