Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Pages:
cjsmum Happy Little Souls
Sydney

Hi Guys,
Firstly like I said earlier in my looooong editorial  bear_rolleyes

There is no better way, just ways that suit some of us better. We should be positive in our pursuits not negative towards others trying to promote other avenues.

This was not directed at posts in this thread actually, like Alexis said earlier

Sadly, tone is lost on the internet and sometimes things sound horrible when written out although they never had the intention to hurt.

Well I think that after taking so long to write something out sometimes you can have a variety of thoughts that get a bit jumbled.
I was thinking that when advertising or promoting pursuits or endeavors perhaps (and I am probably guilty of this, though now I will check myself for it) we don't need to point out the failings of others, perhaps we could just promote the benefits of our own without dragging others down.
So lets not all worry about this us and them stuff. Of course everyone can have their feelings about the subject- like Grace out of Will and Grace said "just let me have my feelings" here! here! But lets not get caught up in this, sorry it's just not productive. We all have a right to our views and this should be the place to get them out there for the benefit of a think tank rather than a blame game.
Although Luann started this thread on shows, I just wanted to point out that as individuals we can do small things that would inform and educate the mass population and help the industry as a whole.
It is too much for any one promoter, supplier, designer, manufacturer or artist to be expected to resurrect teddy. But as individuals we can make little gestures that will get the message out there.
Already (for those of you who have read my anemic blog will know) I have in motion some excellent initiatives that will redefine I hope the way that we can search for things, live and online, making things much easier for everyone. I'm just waiting on my web designer to get back from a humanitarian cleanup expedition to Cambodia.
SO although I am jumping the gun a little on this one due to the matters we are discussing, soon there will be an extensive listing of all shows that have anything to do with bears in the one place. Looking for something to do on June 8th zap: info produced. Looking for all the shows in Japan this year: zap info produced. This as you will all understand is a massive undertaking and the database will take a lot of upkeep, so for those of you that have a show can send me details (just not quite yet though- I'll wait to my designated email is live) and I will list them for free.
I loved Chrissi's idea about a computer station at the shows, but just at the moment I would hate to have my beloved laptop hurt, but I will design an online info brochure that can list key sites so that folk could go to their library or child's computer and not waste valuable time searching. The info will be at their fingertips (for the : just give me an address people!!). At the last show I organised in April I had a little Teddy Talk stand with banner and business cards I made up. I will also take them to the Gold Coast show I am doing in June this year.
I must say at a few shows we gave tables to ebay so they could promote their business when it first started, so we were with the times then.
However I don't believe bears slowing down on ebay is a bears thing as so much as a revolt to the changes ebay are insisting on implementing making it so unprofitable now to go on there. The whole gammut of items on ebay is slowly disappearing.
Another of the ideas I have I can't talk about just yet, it is bigger than ben hur and is going to take a few months in development, but you guys will be the first to hear about it when it's ready.
Who's got more ideas about little gestures that we can all do in our own communities- remember from little things big things grow!

bear_tongue Mel

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Again I ask... Did I miss the part where I put down someone for NOT selling at shows? I guess I must be really blind, heartless and dumb if I don't know what I said that was so darn bad! I've reread all my posts in this thread and honestly don't see anything offensive.

There are internet sellers, show sellers, and those who do both. That's a fact folks. And I said I didn't see anything wrong with any. And encouraged folks to do a show only IF they could or wanted to. But this thread is about keeping "in the fur" shows alive.... that was Luann's point... so that is the focus... and the only way to do that is to get more artists to participate... and what other place has as many artists in one place as this one does????? So what better place to promote show participation?

I am an artist first, a show promoter second, an internet seller and show seller tied for third. Why on earth would I direct negativity toward any of these intentionally? I do have a big mouth, I'm sure it's bigger than Susie's even though my feet a tad smaller!!! And I have strong and passionate thoughts and opinions about issues dear to my heart and I'm not afraid to share them. But that doesn't mean I'm out to upset anyone.

I give up. bear_wacko

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I would love to be able to attend a show!  It would be great to meet everyone & see collectors face to face - the few times I've been able to have been so wonderful!  The problem for me is that the nearest show was in Calgary (2 days drive for me with 3 young kids).  I learned about it too late last year for me to attend (I need a lot of prep time).  I would have planned on attending this year, but it doesn't look like it is happening.  If only travel wasn't so expensive from way up here in northern Canada.....  bear_sad

russellbears Russell Bears
Perth
Website

I am only relatively new to bears and love both the "hands on" Bear Shows and the very convenient internet. I really love attending shows in person meeting the collectors and other artists but understand that it is not always possible due to work, family and financial commitments. Selling via the internet is so convenient for those who are comfortable with it, the only negative I see with that is that photos of bears are not quite the same thing as picking up the little darling that has stolen your heart and seeing it face to face. The internet selling does require extra effort in photo quality and descriptions to convey a true representation of the bear on offer, which is always time consuming.
Mel,I am intriqued with what you have in the pipeline , and can't wait to find out what it is bear_whistle
I try to support our bear shows here in Oz, I religiously attend our annual ones here in my hometown, and when I can, send bears interstate for the shows that provide absent artist tables ( which is a fantastic idea, by the way bear_thumb )
I would like to support international shows also if this would be possible, postage is a lot more financially viable than airfares!!!!
I also love Online Shows, maybe there is a way the two can be combined to cater for everyone???
Just me chipping in, love the bear industry, hoping we can all keep it going strong together :hug:

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

Do any shows in the US provide "absent artist tables"?  What a clever idea!  Kim, please expand on how an "absent artist table" works.  Thank you.

Sydney

please expand on how an "absent artist table" works.

Last year I was dwelling on the lack of representatives and shops at shows (whom used to bring quite a selection of artist bears), most of them are no longer in business. As these days it is hard to get around, I thought that I might have a crack at an Interstate and International traders stand, where the artist wasn't required to attend- just their bears.
You can read more about it at http://teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=22134
We didn't manage to sell all of the bears, but it was a start and now people will look out for these traveling bears from afar.
So we will do it again next year, and tweak it just a bit to keep up with the times- but more of that to come later.
Maybe some of the other shows could pick it up as a new feature: but beware it is only good if there is someone to man the table, unfortunately all of my (6) helpers that day were getting torn from pillar to post trying to be everywhere at once....

Mel

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wow, lots of long posts............LOL

Ok, so I'm no expert but I have organized 1 show and I have some thoughts on the issue as well.

From my point of view

, I felt that the show was very well supported by the bear artists. They were happy to have a show back and were more than willing to support the show in it's early years. It was great to meet with other bear makers, a community like I've never felt.

The problem?? Getting anyone else to take it seriously. I have been trying for months and months to secure a venue in my city for our little show. As a show promoter I would hate to hold a show in some small community center. I feel this does not do much to promote artist bears.
But they just won't listen. I live in a large city that is rapidly growing and is full of money.
The offer of me renting a room for a day and ordering a breakfast for the artists is laughable to them! Conventions and corporate affairs guest rent rooms, order several meals and services, weddings have food etc.
I'm at a loss. All the work I did and I feel I'm letting everyone down but there is little choice. I am still trying for a spring show as I do NOT want the show to die as there is nothing like the feeling of seeing the bears in the fur and meeting their makers.

Of course, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

My second point is promotion.

I never did the show to make money, not for one second.
But I think the artists need to understand how LITTLE money there is to be made as a show promoter. Most of the artists at the show made way more money than I did buy far and I was happy for them. But this means that there is NO MONEY for fancy advertising. Newspaper ads, magazines ads, Radio time were not an option for me unless I took a finical loss from the show.
So what does that mean?? Every person attending the show has to be the 'promoter'. It can't be left to the show organizer; it's up to the artists to sell their own bears.

Wont' that get more people at shows? If you sell most of your bears online, but want to do a show, contact your collectors. Let them know where you will be. Chances are they have on-line bear buddies so if they don't live close to the show, perhaps they know someone who does.

Ok, that's it. Sorry I'm never on here anymore.

Love you Daph for speaking your mind. Always have!!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

And I want to respond to the 'Absent Artists" table.

From a promoters point of view this is tricky. Our goal is to get as many tables filled in the room as possible to pay for everything and to make an interesting show. That's why I didn't allow table sharing even though I can see benefits for the artist, it was not best for the show.

Same with the group table, although it would be good to display works from artists who aren't near to the show at what point do you draw the line. 1 hr drive away?? 2hrs drive away etc?

Ok, totally off my soap box now!

Sydney
psichick78 wrote:

And I want to respond to the 'Absent Artists" table.

From a promoters point of view this is tricky. Our goal is to get as many tables filled in the room as possible to pay for everything and to make an interesting show. That's why I didn't allow table sharing even though I can see benefits for the artist, it was not best for the show.

Same with the group table, although it would be good to display works from artists who aren't near to the show at what point do you draw the line. 1 hr drive away?? 2hrs drive away etc?

Ok, totally off my soap box now!

I totally agree with you on the negatives of having everyone "mail it in" for their table. There are criteria however that I follow and for me I capped the number that could participate and have a little line in the sand at the state border (which in most directions is one day travel). Any closer we'll see you at the show. It is alot of coordinating as well- which was why it used to be so good when we had "reps" that did this for the market.
I have to note though that this isn't a fix it for those of you out of reach of shows, it's just another type of promotion- unfortunately no magic bullets here!

Mel

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

Heather, perhaps the "absent artist" table could be limited to people from out of state or province.

lulubears Posts: 280

First Off This is Jeff.  This is my observation regarding this topic.
Thanks for the replies regarding the B&M.  Since the amount of store fronts (my term) has dropped, I don't really think about them.

The topic was SAVE OR SALVAGE.
This was based upon the announcement of another bear related item going away.

Remember now I have been around this business nearly twenty years and have seen many changes.  Some good / Some Bad. (My Opinion)

One thing you need to remember is that both Luann and Daphne are ARTISTS first, PROMOTERS second.

I have attended shows put on by promoters only and artist/promoters.  And there is a difference.  This is not to say the promoters only don't know what they are doing.  They are looking at the show from a different angle.  Remember this is a business.

The artist / promoters have a different approach and "FROM MY VIEW" have different concerns for the artist and CUSTOMERS.  NOTE - Without the CUSTOMERS there would be no BEAR SHOWS, Ebay Sales , etc.

If a show or magazine is out of business there are more than one reason.  It is a lot of reasons, you can put your own thoughts as to why, but most of us will never really know why.  At this point does it really matter.

The topic was SAVE or SALVAGE.

I went back and read the conversation and, nothing derogatory was said regarding the sale of bears on the internet.  It was determined to, my surprise, there is apparently another side of the business that I had not thought about.  We did not have the internet to sell bears when we started.   We recently, found at our last show, that many artists are members of "TT" but don't participate -  a loss to everyone.

I am very aware of the issues regarding full time jobs, children, and amount of time for bear shows.  My two children went to more than one show while growing up, or a short visit to grandma's while Mom did a show.

With that in mind, the Artist/Promoter was created.  Don't know who the first one was and it doesn't really matter.
These two ladies are looking for ways to increase the attendance of the CUSTOMERS and decent place for the ARTISTS to sell their wares.  It takes more than the promoter to do this.  It takes many to do their part.

I understand some cannot do shows-- that's fine.  Their reasons are their own and they should not have to explain.  It is their business.  It is dishearting for those who always have an excuse.  Wish the others well and leave it alone.

The days are changing and I am afraid that a whole new generation will not know the joy of what two talented hands can make with some fur, stuffing, and needle and thread.

It is a business for many and a hobby for some.  No matter what it is to you, it is worth SAVING or SALVAGING.

These are my observations and are not meant to reflect on my other half or Daphne.
Jeff

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Edie, I just ship my bears to the show, then I don't have to lie.  As for the sales tax I mean it's great to live in a Province or State that doesn't have a sales tax but that's not the norm  bear_grin .  It really isn't that difficult to fill out a couple of lines on a temporary tax form and send a cheque. Most times you can make a phone call and get the temporary number set up, we do it all the time. 

I don't think anyone was putting anyone else down about not doing shows, some people just can't do shows for whatever reason and that's ok.  Some people are more comfortable selling on the internet, but trust me when you go to a show it's such a great experience.  I mean there are so many people out there that want to meet the artist in person, you may think you have a great collector base now and a great mailing list but there are a lot of people at shows who will have no idea who the heck you are.  These people will love your bears and will buy from you and poof you have another new collector that you can add to your mailing list, and yes they will come back and buy from you and likely buy from your website or possibly ebay now that they have seen your work in person and know who you are. 

I always suggest trying to make a mini vacation out of a show, plan it well in advance you get a little vacation and you get to write off some of it on you taxes, how can you beat that.

I love shows, I'm not one for selling on the internet as I have said before as for myself I find it to impersonal.  I'm not in it to just try and sell my bear for the highest price I can, I actually want to meet my collectors and talk with him and hug them, so many collectors have become friends and it's like one huge family. I'm sorry but you don't get that selling on the internet (and I don't mean any offense to people who do as I stated before shows aren't for everyone)  but I really hate when people say they can't afford to go to a show or it cost to much.  I've said it over and over again, it's the cost of running a business.  We both work full time and come home in the evening and work on bears, we fly to shows and work at them all weekend and come home and go to work bright and early on Monday morning.  It's tough but unless we do it then all the shows will disappear,  I think people need to step outside of their comfort zone a little bit.

Tammy you said how you weren't good at shows, but I bet you haven't done a full blown Teddy Bear Collectible show.  There is no way you wouldn't love it, again not putting you down for selling on the internet but it is way easier to sell on the internet as you don't have a collector standing directly in front of you.  Trust me one of the first super large shows we did in the US we had Michelle Lamb right across from us.  You want to talk about intimidated, I wanted to pack up and go home right then.  I thought I would throw up right then and there,  when the doors opened up I was not sure what to expect.  I had the time of my life and I was so pumped by the time the show was over , there really is nothing like it.  So please don't get yourself all worked up about going to a show and exhibiting, if you have the chance just go and try.  I have never heard of anyone dying from fear of doing a teddy bear show.

big hugs and sorry for the long post

Shane

russellbears Russell Bears
Perth
Website
angelbearies wrote:

Do any shows in the US provide "absent artist tables"?  What a clever idea!  Kim, please expand on how an "absent artist table" works.  Thank you.

Hi Gail, I think Mel has answered your question on how this service works, as she was the organiser, I live on the other side of Australia which is a very long way from the Eastern coast where all the major bear action takes place, so yes, I would qualify along with international artists.
You pay a fee, just like booking a table and your bears are there for the show even if you aren't.
I agree that the line has to be drawn somewhere as Mel has already mentioned, so wish I could have been there, sounded like great fun bear_thumb

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shane,
     I did bear shows for almost six years and I made myself physically ill with the stress of each oncoming show.  I did ABC's convention shows, Boxborough, Timonium, and Ross Park Zoo every year.  My husband was the one who pushed me to do them - he is a social person who loved to meet people and he really enjoyed the shows, and we always got a mini holiday afterwards.   I'm not an introvert, but I love being alone and I'm extermely uncomfortable in a crowd situation.  Heck, I skipped half of my school days so I could stay home and I convinced hubby to elope on my lunch hour from work, to avoid having a "real" wedding.  No, I didn't die from fear, but the stress and the miserable feeling I had at the shows, wasn't worth it, even if I sold well.  I was ALWAYS the first person packed up and out of the show. 
     I did a large week long craft show in Ottawa for 25 years, and always brought a friend with me, who manned my booth, while I hid in the back of another friends booth and read books.  I'm certain many of my customers thought my friend was the artist (me) and that suited me fine.  So my point, after rambling on, is that some of us are absolutely NOT suited to the atmosphere of a show.  I can't think fast enough on my feet to give intelligent answers when I'm that stressed and I never wanted to be there in the first place.  I did the shows because I just needed to make money and that was the only way available at the time.  I know shows are important for the industry and I don't know what the answer is, but I was in the throws of quiting completely, when I discovered selling over the internet.  The stress is gone and I have been more creative and productive than ever.  I love the anonymity of the internet - I can think about what I write and edit it, if necessary, when dealing with a customer - sure beats sticking my foot in my mouth!  I understand Tammy's post completely.

hugs,

Brenda

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

I agree with Luann in regards to trying to flog a dead horse...once  show or mag has died in the hole, it's pretty hard to reserect it.

I also agree that we need to support those surviving...but we also need a balance. I support both forms of shows...face to face and online. I just love meeting collectors and find most of my face to face collectors are round my own age (from the old school you might say), but my younger collectors are the ones buying online. Having said that, I do have some very with it grannies buying online too...those that aren't afraid of changing with the times and who love keeping up with technology.

As a collector I buy both ways...at face to face shows and off the internet.

Whatever type of show you do, the success of that show stills need the support of everyone involved...exhibitors can't just sit back and expect it to just happen...they have to do their bit too. Those that pay their fees and don't do anything except make their bears and turn up on the day, are not only doing themselves a disservice they are letting the whole industry down.

It's important that all the artists at shows send out snail mail and email to everyone on their data bases. If everyone took the approach of " I don't need to do it, plenty of others will invite their collectors" there wouldn't be anyone attending.

Promoters also need to have a balanced approach to their advertising, both online and hard copy.

There have been some great ideas put forward on TT and I think we should run with the positives and not let the negatives drag us down.

I'm a great believer in making the most of opportunies and when one door closes another opens. I don't believe in luck, people are rarely lucky in life...those that succeed make it through hard work and determination.

POST THIS ON YOU FRIDGE DOOR:

IF IT IS TO BE...IT IS UP TO ME!

Waterloo, Ontario

Brenda, as I said in my post I wasn't putting anyone down for selling on the internet and I did say that there are some people who can't do shows for the reasons you just said.  What I did mention was stepping out of your comfort zone and giving it a try.  If you get physically ill then you have a major problem, no one should get as upset as you were getting Brenda and obviously it was more than just stress, it's anxiety or possibly a phobia and it controls a lot of peoples lives which is a real shame as these people miss out on so much.

So just to reiterate I was not trying to offend anyone with my comments, I just think that people need to try and step outside of the box a bit and try something different. Sometimes people need a little nudge that's all.

big hugs

Shane

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I'm late coming to this discussion as I've been preparing for my first on-line show with NCTB and have had just a small taste of what many of you feel when you see a deadline looming. For this reason, I haven't been able to keep up with TT very much at all over the last several weeks. I only started selling my bears last November so I am very new to all of this so my input is probably not going to add anything.

I agree with LuAnn and Daphne about supporting the shows still active. If those shows can continue to grow and expand and provide a large number of artists, it seems reasonable to me that other shows may be developed and promoted in different areas. Once people see the success of those few and far between shows, it will occur to someone that maybe there's a need in another area. And even if new shows don't come out of the current shows, those active shows will continue to grow and be successful from the support we give them.

I would love to do an in-person show, though the idea terrifies me. I'm not really good in crowds, but I love seeing show photos posted on TT. It really give you a feel for the atmosphere and excitement in the room. As I gain more confidence about my abilities I would be very interested in doing an in-person show.

I'm so new to all of this and I love everything about making bears and I would just hate to see everything stop before I have a chance to get started.

Waterloo, Ontario

Marlys,  I totally agree with you about doing your first show.  It is stressful and you do feel like you want to be sick, but once those doors open all of that goes away.  When you make your first sale it's the best feeling ever, when made bears for about 2 yrs before we did our first show.  We only did that show because a couple of friends talked us into it. 

big hugs

Shane

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Thanks, Shane. As you mentioned, it's challenging yourself to move outside of your comfort zone. That's one reason I joined the NCTB guild so I would have to participate.

Daphne, those of you who ship your bears ahead to shows...aren't you afraid of them getting lost, delayed or some other mishap. That seems the easiest way to go if you're assured they'll get there on time and as you sent them.

Waterloo, Ontario

Marlys,  we always ship ours via ups as I can track them online and it's the cheapest way for us to send them.  I always allow ample time for them to get to a show.  Sometimes they get there three or four days ahead of time but I always contact the hotel where I shipped them to  and tell them that they are coming. 

big hugs

Shane

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

So just to reiterate I was not trying to offend anyone with my comments, I just think that people need to try and step outside of the box a bit and try something different. Sometimes people need a little nudge that's all.

You are so right, Shane! If a person has never tried a show they don't really know what it is like. Now someone like Brenda who has done so many and still feels ill over it is a different case altogether - she HAS tried and it just doesn't work for her. I think a lot of people doing a show for the very first time would go through  anxiety attacks as they ARE stepping outside their comfort zone but they may find that they do like it once they get over that initial fear.
Unfortunately the locations of the shows that are left can be an obstacle for some artists who would like to do shows - especially someone trying one for the first time might not want to travel completely across country but would do one closer to home if there was a show to do. You guys out in Eastern Canada are much more fortunate than us out here in the West as you do have a lot more shows closer to you so even though you do have costs they aren't as high as it would be for us out here to attend them.
I don't think anyone should feel that they are being attacked by what is being said - I see this as an open discussion on what can be done to keep the shows and magazines going, and I think it is great to encourage people who have shows in their areas to give them a try.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Marlys - as far as shipping ahead .... I ship UPS 3-Day (yes, it costs a lot but if I had to wait the 7 days for ground to know they finally got where they were going I'd have a nervous breakdown!) this way there is a tracking number and UPS is good about finding, redirecting, a package if it gets lost. I'd NEVER ship my bears through the post office! I use steel shot in my bears and although I've gone through airport security w/them it can slow up the process and I've heard horror stories from others. If my bears went in checked baggage and I had a non-stop flight I'd probably do it but if I had to change planes, in my mind, that leaves more opportunity for my luggage (the bears) to end up in Alaska while I'm in Texas so I don't take the chance.

Doing your first show: I know NONE of you will believe this but I USED to be the most insecure, shy person on the planet! Really!!!  :crackup:  Doing my first show was soooooooooooooooo intimidating and scary but I'd been encouraged to do it by so many people and I'd attended bear shows and they looked like so much fun so I finally did it. I was a wreck and didn't sleep for 2 nights leading up to the show. The only bit of comfort I had was knowing that my booth was right next to an artist I'd befriended during my 2 years of bear making. About part way through the day, during the lunchtime lull, I sat down and thought "I got all worked up and lost sleep for THIS???? This is fun, the people are so kind and supportive and collectors are actually admiring my bears!" I can't tell you what a confidence booster it has been doing shows. I think the majority of the bear community, both artists and collectors, are a loving, understanding, supportive bunch..... and that makes it all the easier. If you are seriously entertaining the idea of doing a show but aren't quite sure... just do it! You will learn so much, meet so many wonderful people, and feel so much more connected to the bear world... and I found that the end result of all that, for me, was the evolution of my talent in bear making. Seeing my bears amongst some very seasoned and talented artists made me realize I had a long way to go.... but rather than being discouraged I talked to some artists, most were very forthcoming with tips and advice... and I actually went home itching to try new things! After that first show I couldn't wait to do another! (And my sales were pathetic at that first show... but the experience was priceless!)

Other ways to get behind the scenes at a bear show without exhibiting: Perhaps, for those feeling a little unsure about doing your first show, you might consider working for the promoter the day of the show. You'll learn so much about the whole process! Or you may have an artist friend who will let you be their helper for the day. You can gain first hand experience of what it's like to set up, sell, chat with collectors, etc. all w/o totally "putting yourself out there" with your bears. Sometimes knowing what to expect from a show relieves a lot of fears. And I can tell you, as both a promoter and an artist.... there is never enough help!!!!

Heather wrote:

I never did the show to make money, not for one second.
But I think the artists need to understand how LITTLE money there is to be made as a show promoter. Most of the artists at the show made way more money than I did buy far and I was happy for them. But this means that there is NO MONEY for fancy advertising. Newspaper ads, magazines ads, Radio time were not an option for me unless I took a finical loss from the show.

I too, do it for the love of the art and my fellow artists and collectors. Right now there is NO NO NO money to be made in promoting a show unless you can get artists to pay an arm and a leg for a table... which you can't. This limits advertising.... we have to be very creative and have to count on the artists to do their part. It's THEIR show.... and I encourage them to do their part in promoting it.... unless they are ready to pay more for me to do it. Also, artists need to realize that by saying there is NO profit to being a show promoter... this means that the time (and it's many long hours, days and weeks) that we spend planning is VOLUNTEER... and it's time, for those who are artists too, thats NOT spent bear making which we COULD make a profit on. I'm not complaining, not looking for a pat on the back. I just think its helpful for artists to understand the show promoters side of it.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Daphne,

do you break even?  I think not even breaking even would be a very scarry situation.

Here's a prayer for your next show that you do more and better than breaking even-may you be especially blessed by something surprising in the next show as well.

dilu

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Hey all! I will have to read more into the long posts when I have some more time.. I have skimmed them though. Okay, first off, I love doing shows. I have to admit though when we had more shows here I had stopped doing them because I could not handle the stress and would make myself sick before a show. Working full time and trying to get enough bears for a show was a bit much for me.
I am planning on doing 2 shows this years.. neither are bear shows.. but a miniature show (where I can at least get some artist bear word out) and the Doll and Teddy bear show. Both are local shows. I have considered doing shows in the East BUT the airfare is just terrible.. it would cost well over $2000 for myself and a helper.. that does not count the hotel, food and the table itself.  I think that has alot to do with decisions for a show. I will go to a show if I can drive there in 4 hours... or if I can fly there for a few hundred dollars... if it's going to cost 3 or 4 grand, I just can't do it.   
I have also talked with a few other artist about putting on a local show.. but the same problems that Heather has apply to Edmonton shows. The few little shows we have here have a horrible time booking venues.
The internet does make selling easier and more manageable but it's not the same as shows..  shows are so much fun and you can hold and hug lots of bears... and talk.. omg.. lol. At Heathers show last year.. by the end of the day I had lost my voice! haha.
Bears, unfortunately are a luxury item.. and I have noticed many collectors just can't afford to buy bears.. The last show I did I had one collector come and cuddle this one bear over and over again.. and sadly say she wanted it but just could not afford it.. I felt so bad. I am in this boat myself. I use to spend thousands on bears. I have not bought a bear in almost a year now. With the prices of food and gas and housing here in Alberta (and other places), there is not alot left!
Anyway, I think as the bear world changes over the years, the way we sell changes too. If artists can't make the shows profitable.. they will stop doing them. If they stop doing the shows the promoters stop putting on the show. It is sad.. but it's happening.. and we will just have to do our part to get word out about bears.. try to get new collectors, put ad's in magazines if you can, do shows if you can.. even if they are not bears shows... there are so many people who don't know there is a magical world of artist bears.
I think that is all we can do as artists and Teddy bears lovers.
huuuugs!
Melanie
Hugs!
Melanie

Waterloo, Ontario

Melanie and Edie,  you both are so right and I totally agree with everything you have said.  Because of our location we have a couple of shows that we can just drive to.  We are close enough to the Buffalo airport that we can drive there and fly (about 2.5 hours)  flying out of the US saves us at least half of the cost of flying out of Canada. The internet is great for people who can't get to shows or who are in a isolated area and it is great that there is a venue for these artist to show and sell their work.  I think the online shows work really great as well, because collectors from all over the world have a chance to buy a bear from an artist that they might not ever see at a show.

big hugs

Shane

Pages:

Board footer