Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

I was wondering if it is better to transfer your pattern by drawing it onto your fur or do you pin the pattern onto the fur then cut?

I worry about marking the fur, but also if it is pinned on it might not come out right.. Thanks for all your input.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I always copy my patterns to bristol board or plastic for use as a template and then use that to draw on the back of the mohair. No pinning involved.

Marion

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I've always drawn the pattern straight onto the backside of the fur with a fine tip permanent marker.  One caution is don't use a black marker with very light fur . . . you can see on the right side of the fur.  However, once you sew and joint, those marks shouldn't be visible.  This method is also  faster.  JMO.

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO
SueAnn wrote:

I've always drawn the pattern straight onto the backside of the fur with a fine permanent marker.  One caution is don't use a black marker with very light fur . . . you can see on the right side of the fur.  However, once you sew and joint, those marks shouldn't be visible.  This method is also  faster.  JMO.

Have you ever used a light marker on light fur?

I could see it being faster.... and maybe save more fur?

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO
MerBear wrote:

I always copy my patterns to bristol board or plastic for use as a template and then use that to draw on the back of the mohair. No pinning involved.

Marion

What kind of plastic do you use?

busserbears Busser Bears
Elkhart, Indiana

I use whatever is available for pattern pieces...I've taken boxes apart...and use permanet marker.  I've used gold marker on black fur...I mark the pattern right on the backing.

hugs,
Leeann Krikau
Busser Bears

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO
busserbears wrote:

I use whatever is available for pattern pieces...I've taken boxes apart...and use permanet marker.  I've used gold marker on black fur...I mark the pattern right on the backing.

hugs,
Leeann Krikau
Busser Bears

I like the gold marker idea!  :clap: Thank you!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You can get template plastic from a lot of craft suppliers and some bear suppliers. Cereal box cardboard works great too.
I photo copy the pattern onto card stock paper... saves extra tracing and cutting onto cardboard or plastic and still lasts a long time.
I use the silver Sharpies on dark fur. Gel pens are also good.

CAUTION: Do not use Fray Check on Sharpie ink... it'll bleed into the fabric.... not pretty. The silver doesn't bleed but the other sharpie colors seem to.

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO
Daphne wrote:

You can get template plastic from a lot of craft suppliers and some bear suppliers. Cereal box cardboard works great too.
I photo copy the pattern onto card stock paper... saves extra tracing and cutting onto cardboard or plastic and still lasts a long time.
I use the silver Sharpies on dark fur. Gel pens are also good.

CAUTION: Do not use Fray Check on Sharpie ink... it'll bleed into the fabric.... not pretty. The silver doesn't bleed but the other sharpie colors seem to.

Thank you so much for the caution! :hug:

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi,
I would recommend as the others that you trace it on.  When I was just starting and had no one to guide me, I pinned mine on and then cut.  You get a much better cut by tracing and then cutting.  Also you can pay better attention to not cut the pile if you aren't working around a paper pattern and pins.
Good Luck and Have Fun,
Donna

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Hi there,
I transfer my patterns right on the mohair/plush too. Its quicker for me and I usually get cleaner cuts. I usually buy large sheets of cardstock and then laminate them. I love the plastic better because it lasts longer but I always have a hard time finding it. Also, I second Daphne on the sharpie/ fray check thing. I JUST learned that lesson the other day and it was NOT pretty!  :crackup:

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

I use card stock too. For dark fabric I use a white correction pen.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

The silver sharpies  are great for golly fabrics to.... bear_laugh

dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use posterboard for my pattern pieces.  Actually for white/light furs, I use a soft lead pencil to trace the pattern.

teeeej Brisbane

I use a soft lead pencil on light fabrics as well. No problems with bleeding with fray stopper there. I love plastic sheets - no more glueing onto cardboard. I found them at several of my bear suppliers and at my local quilting store.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Sheryl,   believe most if not all bear artist use card or plastic template and trace around them onto the back of the fur that they are using. I gave a pattern to a friend of mine who wanted to make a bear and she unfortunately didn't realise that she needed to cut just the backing material and not the fur pile. So remember to use small sharpe scissors when cutting out your bear. Luckily I was able to save my friend's fur for her by resizing the pattern and cutting out a smaller sized bear for her.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

In Canada (not sure how it is for the rest of you) our milk comes in large 4 litre plastic jugs & after washing it makes great template plastic for smaller bears. It's recycling bear_thumb & its cheap & sturdy!
That would be "Thrifty Cheryl's tip of the Day"  bear_grin

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

OH MY GOSH! You all are so amazing. Thank you all so very much for all your tips and advice.  :hug: This is such an amazing group of women. I hope that someday i can add to all your expertise.  bear_wub

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

OH MY GOSH! You all are so amazing. Thank you all so very much for all your tips and advice.  :hug: This is such an amazing group of women. I hope that someday i can add to all your expertise.  bear_wub

Kilde Posts: 186

I make copies of the pattern first so that I have all the pattern pieces I need (for example 4 arm pieces, 4 leg pieces etc.) and then I laminate the copies. After laminating them, I cut out the pattern pieces and use an awl to make the joint holes. If you laminate your pattern you can use it over and over again.  bear_original When I am done with the pattern, I keep the pattern for future use in large plastic zipper bags and write the name of the bear on the zipper bag - or glue a photo of the bear to the bag. That way I can always easily find my pattern.

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

We go through lots of cereal boxes at home, so I re-use the cereal boxes for all of my patterns.

Board footer