Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Anyone here have Betta fish? I adopted a unwanted one about 3 weeks ago, has the shorter type fins so I thought it was a girl and named her Tullahbell and this morning there were nesting bubbles in the tank, and I'm doing some research and I think I have a male that will be named Tony! LOL
Let me know if anyone knows much about these sweeties , I have some more questions...
bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

tullahbell.jpg

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

Its a girl! bear_grin  My daughters both had one... my youngest just got another one. I also had one. I do not know much, but can try to help! :hug:

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I didnt think it was a girl because there is a bubble nest in the tank and I don't think the girls do the bubble nest??? I don't know!Someone said it might be a short fin male  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

It could be a male, but I do not think so. Just do not over feed it. They only eat a very little every day. They will eat themselves to death!

Puzzle Outer Eastern Melbourne
Website

http://www.petsoz.org.au/forum/ Try checking out this site and this one: http://www.petsoz.org.au/fish/
I am a member of the ferret forum there. The people are nice and can answer any of your questions.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I do know they eat very little! In my old post office in Sharon, CT they had a beautiful long fin blue betta. He lived in a glass vase. The vase had some kind of Philodendron plant and it's roots hung down into the water. It was what they call a closed system. The betta fish nibbled on the roots and the waste of the fish fertilized the plant. I've moved, but that fish was very healthy for the three years I visited the post office  bear_flower Nature is amazing!
Karen
P.S. I not avocating this! I'm sure they cleaned the vase regularly and added a few fish flaked now and then, but he was very healthy and always had beautful fins so I guess they knew what they were doing.

NewelleyBears Newelley.Bears
Harrow, Ontario

P6020968.JPGHey Tami,

I have a blue and red Crown Tail male Betta.  I have always loved these fish as they are so colourful and graceful in the water.  I don't know much about them other than I clean his tank every week, change the foliage occasionally to give him something to look at and they eat very little food.

Here Is a pic of Spike,
Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Jer

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton
NewelleyBears wrote:

Hey Tami,

I have a blue and red Crown Tail male Betta.  I have always loved these fish as they are so colourful and graceful in the water.  I don't know much about them other than I clean his tank every week, change the foliage occasionally to give him something to look at and they eat very little food.

Here Is a pic of Spike,
Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Jer

That's funny Jeremy...our Betta looks exactly the same & his name is Spike too!

Cheryl bear_flower

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

Hi Tami,
It looks like a female but it is still possible that it is a male. It is hard to judge the size of the fish in the picture but it looks larger than most females I have seen.  I work in a pet store and the only fish we sell are bettas-both male and female. I have two male bettas myself- seperated from each other of course.  I did a bit of reading about them recently and I do remember reading that there are some males that are mistaken for females due to their shorter fins. The bright red color of yours also makes me think it is a male as most females aren't so brightly colored--though then again some are.   So I don't know how much help I really gave you here.
I'll try and get some pics of my two on here. One is yellow and blue--the first yellow betta I had ever seen. We have had a few more since then but I was so amazed by his unusual color I just had to bring him home.
  Beth

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Congrats on the new baby. I use to breed them, many moons ago..lol. There are short fin males.. you can tell from the size.. the short fin males are usually the same size as the long fin males.. but they don't have the long fins. The females are not as bright and much smaller. The females don't build nests.. but they do go and breathe from the top and sometimes that makes bubbles... I don't know if this will work with your guy/girl.. but males tend to be a bit more aggessive.. you can show him a mirror and see if he tries to attack it. Also females get a little white spot on the vent when they are of breeding age.
I have one male at work on my desk.. Finnigan bear_original Hope that helps!
Hugs!
Melanie

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I had a male and several females a long time ago in a 10 gallon tank.  I am NO expert on these beautiful fish, but their courtship can be very aggressive if the female is not receptive.  It would be good to have LOTS of cover for the female. 

Feeding the babies is another challenge.  These fry are much smaller than the fry of livebearers such as guppies.  They cannot eat store bought fish food.  Be sure to check out that forum that Puzzle mentioned!  Google is another great source of info (and sometimes MISinformation though!)

The short finned males are how they started out... the wild bettas have short fins.  Selective breeding created the long fins bear_original

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi, thanks for the info, I'm still doing some research , joined a Betta group, I do think I have a boy! LOL
And NO there will be no mating, don't want any babies! LOL
Taking care of Tony is enough!   bear_grin

theKeepMeCo. Posts: 185

Congrats on your new betta! When I got my little guy from wal-mart last year he was brownish and had very short fins. I just knew it had to be a girl. But then he grew...and grew, until he was a pretty royal blue with long flowing fins! It turns out he was just a young fish when I got him. Yours could be younger, or it could be a short finned male. The main advice I can give you is they seem to be prone to constipation! bear_ermm It helps to keep a little bit of roughage in their diet. I peel the skin off a washed pea and give mine tiny bits of it if he seems bloated. I owned my first betta for four years and he never had this problem, but the one I have now seems to get it pretty often. Good luck with your new buddy...they are such cute fish!
-Lynnette

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I think it was Diane Kennedy who said that peas were really good for fish!

hugs,

Brenda

Puzzle Outer Eastern Melbourne
Website

Pfft! I completely forgot to ask what you named him! My old one was called Aroz and my sister's red one (like yours but with enormous, trailing fins) was called Sushi.

He is a gorgeous boy, and good on you for joining a group. I have heard they eat peas, as well, but I can't remember where.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Sushi... LOL!!!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Betta splendens are fabulous arn't they?

Well too me, it looks like a female. I think you may see where she has eggs.

If I may have permission, I can ask a few friends of mine who are betta breeders?

A few myths, Don't keep them in small containers. AT least a 5 gallon tank is best with a filter and a heater. Bettas arn't cold water fish and DO need a heater for them to thrive, not just survive, like in a fish store in a tiny cup! If you keep up your weekly water changes you'll have a wonderfull betta for years!

Take care,

Richy~

BTW: Females can build bubble nests too.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi, yes I him in a 5 gallon tank with a filter and a small heater, he is in fish/heaven for sure!  bear_original

Board footer