Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thought I'd throw a new topic into the mix.

When I create I never know, at the start point, whether I'll end up with a girl or boy bear.  They generally "tell" me -- those fuzzy little buggers --  as I go along exactly how they'd like to turn out.  I seem to end up with more girls than boys.

How about you all...???

adamsgirl Cheektowaga, New York

Hey Shelli!
I know exactly what you mean about them "telling you" if they are a boy or girl!  Except with me, I end up with more boys!!!

Darleen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Yep!  100% agree......I can't sex 'em until they tell me.  I end up with more boys than girls....we should get the kids together......:D

Dilu bear_tongue

yosemitebearworks Oakhurst, CA
Website

I tend to make more girls than boys, but every once in a while a bear comes along that has a mind of it's own.  Right now I have a large bear sitting on a shelf dressed to the nines in a smashing hat with feathers, flowers, and a big poof of netting.  She has a beautiful rhinestone brooch with matching earrings and a black fur stole.  And you know what -- everytime I pass by I hear the message "I'm a guy, silly - get me out of these earrings!  Ditch the hat!  Sigh, I love the outfit, but if I don't change it, that's going to be one unhappy bear. bear_rolleyes

Donna

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Sometimes I make girl or boy genders on purpose. Usually it works out, but sometimes I get surprised.  Other times, I will let them disclose it to me.  Sometimes I can't tell, so they get a non-gendered name, such as "Cookie".

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

The woman who taught me how to make bears, Diana Lind of Wee Treasures, had me use a very girly bear pattern. Well, my bear was most definitely a boy! I've tried so many times to make a girl bear, most of the time failing. I made a purple bear who was meant to be a girl but, you guessed it, was all boy. :rolleyes:

What can we do to have more of a chance of having a girl bear? Only make her on a full moon? Sew standing up? OK, I'm sorry..... :lol:

I've tried going for more petite features - nose especially, maybe smaller ears - and sometimes this works. Anyone have any other suggestions? (Sorry, Shelli, perhaps I'm steering this into another direction!)

Hugs,
Daphne

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

PS - My avatar for example...... I was aiming for a girl....... but what does he/she look like more? Maybe the shading/coloring techniques make a difference?

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hrmmm don't get me started on this subject.  I have made quite a few bears now, and not one, I repeat, not one has been a girl.  I guess I like my bears sorta dorky looking with big noses, so that's probably why.............

Daphne=I thought your avatar was a surprised excited little guy - -I cant help it every time I see him he makes me giggle.  He is just so darn cute!

Wonkydonkydilu

Donna!!! for crying out loud-you really don't want the little fella to have a gender identity problem, do you?  Quick change him, and then make him a girl friend for the fancy dancy outfit. 

And then let us see before and after pictures-it'll be fun!

Di

Laure  :(

I miss your face.....

Dilu

your bear's a cutie though  bear_original

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Dilu, how sweet of you to miss my face.  We will meet face to face before long.  I was just thinking, if we are "AAA", we must be one step beyond "AA" ( Alcoholics Anonymous, if by some remote chance someone didn't know.)   Would that make us Arctophilic Addicts, Annonymous?  bear_laugh

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

In fact, all my bears are boys except  the bears that I make thinking of them as boys since the beginning... It's a little frustrating... I must have a problem... Maybe I can find a trick, making myself wanting a boy when I want a girl ? bear_rolleyes
In fact, I just don't think about accessories until the bear is completely finished... It helps... :/

Daphne : for me, your avatar bear can be both boy and girl. She/he is a very sweet little angel !:)

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi all,
I make my boy bears out of pink mohair too - they don't seem to mind, and they just LOVE helping pick out new drapes :lol:

My girl bears have all been very girly, which is suprising as i'm not a girly girly sort of person really. Maybe deep inside i'm secretly yearning for Barbie pink shoes and fluffy bunnies instead of lusting after a sit-on lawnmower and a pilots licence - i would love to learn to fly :rolleyes:

Penny - dressed in Barbie pink, riding a sit-on lawnmower and dreaming of flying a plane ::P

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Yep, I also have to wait for the bear to be finished before I know if it's a boy or girl.... I made a bear out of a lilac tipped cream mohair and was going to call "her" Lilacia... but after he was born he was definitely a boy... so I named him Bijou!  I think I go in spurts... lots of boys... then lots of girls...

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I try to have an even number of boy and girl creations at a show, but most of the time it is after finishing the bear that the gender is established.  However, I always give male names to my all-fours bears . . . they just LOOK masculine!!

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

I tend to do more boys, but My Mom will see some of my "boyish" bears as female and will redo their bows when I'm not looking! bear_grin

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello ladies!
I am still new to creating bear and
I thought I have no control to decide
the jenders because I'm new..but
as everyones said I guess it is the
bear self matter !? Hrmmmmm.....

I like to make a girl bear but the
all bear I collected was  boy bear..don't know why....:P

Laure, Me too! I miss your picture:)
but I love your new bear in avatar